Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Noob install: Hobbywing WP1080

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Noob install: Hobbywing WP1080

As much as I've researched... I'm admittedly still a complete novice when it comes to electronics, esc's, bec's, etc. So I'm wanting to make sure that I get this right. I've watched so many video's out there but unfortunately I still have some unanswered questions pertaining to my particular concerns and lack of experience. Apologies to mods if this should be posted in the general-newbie section.

Quick rundown of where I'm at:

I realize that ppl are changing motors, radios, etc... and I understand that there are benefits to doing things certain ways to maximize various aspects of performance. But all that I am looking for is a way to run a higher torque steering servo without burning up the Traxxas XL5 ESC. I've been back and forth on whether or not to install a BEC and just run the XL5 as is but I don't think that's going to be the best option. Instead, I'd like to go ahead and just completely replace the stock ESC.

What I'd like to do is run the HW Quicrun wp1080 and if I go this route, I'd like to make sure that I've got everything I need and that I'm doing things correctly, and that it makes sense [to me] so...

1) Although I keep hearing that the factory radio isn't the best, can I still use it in conjunction with the newly installed wp1080 ESC? And if it's highly recommended, what is an inexpensive, simple to use, simple to program radio that would benefit the performance of the TRX4?

2) Can I simply solder bullet connectors onto the yellow and blue leads or do these leads need to be soldered directly to the motor tabs? I do understand that eliminating any connectors/ resistance would be best but can I just use bullet connectors instead ( the connectors from the stock ESC) and be okay?

3) Do I have to use the program card to set this up or at least for now, can I simply do the throttle/ neutral/ reverse settings and be done with it?

4) Will I need anything additional to do this installation? I obviously have the soldering equipment, extension for the new servo, heat-shrink, etc... but is there anything else that I'm leaving out in order to do this install?

5) Does the wp1080 ESC produce noise as compared to the stock XL5? It seems that in some video's I can hear it operating. Does adjusting the "PWM Frequency Program" setting eliminate the noise that I'm speaking of?

6) I know that with BEC's there are voltage parameters that need to be determined, understood, and subsequently accounted for, which at least to a new guy seems a bit complicated and potentially unsafe. Do I need to worry about all of that with the wp1080 ESC or can I plug and play without consequences?

7) I feel that the install and programming of the wp1080 will be more beneficial, simpler to install and set-up, and better for the overall protection of the remaining on-board electrical components as opposed to installing a BEC. Is that correct?

So that's it. Is there anything else that I need to consider, or purchase, or understand better? I don't mean to over-think this but I want to get it right and I want to have everything ready to go when it comes time for me to install. Also, if my lack of experience and lack of needing sophisticated electronics leads anyone to think that there is a less complicated, cheaper, better suited option... please advise.

Most sincere gratitude for the help.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Noob install: Hobbywing WP1080

Yes, you can use your radio and bullet connectors or whatever, internal BEC is powerful enough, you don't have to program it but I don't see why not (program box included), it's silent, will give you a simpler setup than external bec, GO GO GO!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

+1

with one addition if you get the holmes bypass with a holmes hv500 v2 you don't need a bec or get the shv500 v2 so no bec and no adapter needed
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm seeing the HH BLS HV500v2 Brushless at Amain for $99. So that would work along with the HH Rx BEC Bypass Adapter and wp1080? No need to run a separate BEC? SHV500v2 looks to be out of stock everywhere and I want to get this done asap.

EDIT> But that limits me to only being able to use the HV500 or SHV500v2 as steering servo choices?

Everything noted, Natedog and I cannot thank you gentlemen enough!

Last edited by high plains drifter; 02-22-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I paired this with the HH 550 TrailmasterSport 21T. I love it, I may run the same setup on my Gen7 now. IMO much better than stock ESC and 21T Titan.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

1. I bought a radiolink 6 Ch radio for $80 and it’s way better. It has assignable (is that a word) and EPA adjust ment on all channels and I can switch the diff locks independently and have an extra channel for a winch.

2. I recommend high quality bullet connectors.

3. The program card comes with the ESC.

4. Looks like you have what you need, I like tiny zip ties to keep everything tidy.

5. You can adjust the PWM frequency with the program card.

6. Since you will be Powering everything with the 1080 esc, set it to 6v and you will be fine. If you have a high voltage servo and want full power, a separate BEC with a bypass adapter that you can buy or make by cutting a couple wires out of a wye.

7. Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disco hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

So at least for now ( not dismissing the benefit of a better radio and accounting for the fact that I already have a couple cheap-o higher torque servos) this seems a viable plan of attack:

> HW Quicrun wp1080 ESC
> CC BEC 2.0 waterproof voltage regulator
> ProTek RC 3.5mm Super Bullet Gold Connectors
> HH Rx bypass harness*

* Would a Gear Head BEC Rx bypass adapter be a sufficient alternative to the HH Rx bypass harness?

Not sure it matters but I've already got a cheap DS3218 20KG waterproof digital servo that I'd like to try before going the high-dollar route.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Use the 20KG servo, hook it up to the 1080 and upgrade if you see the need for it.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
That servo is the cheaper HH one that still needs bec, the more expensive servo comes all wired up for straight to 3S power and does not need BEC. Anytime I use a BEC, I use the HH RX bypass harness, so much better way to wire it. This is the only servo that I know of for running straight off the battery, wish more companies would catch on and do this.

You're welcome!
I power my hv500 v2 direct from my 3s lipo jrh stated i the thread that the hv500 v2 is capable to take direct 3s power have now more than 10packs throu it and it's a beast on 3s

regarding the 1080 if you use a servo like the powerhd 20kg i think your menitioned servo is in that range you don't need a external bec the internal could handle these servos.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:56 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks again guys!

Last question here...

Would the Spektrum RC Voltage Protector offer any additional benefit to either help protect electronics and/ or reduce glitches/ voltage spikes?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

THE 1080 IS BULLETPROOF FOR YOUR APPLICATION.
There.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

By the way, it's a 1.5$ capacitor, not really a "Voltage protector".
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I've got everything ordered up and I couldn't have done it without you all! Really blown away by helpful this community is. Hopefully this will be it for a little while lol. As always... genuine appreciation for the patience and for educating me on these new and sometimes confusing topics.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco hair View Post
1. I bought a radiolink 6 Ch radio for $80 and it’s way better. It has assignable (is that a word) and EPA adjust ment on all channels and I can switch the diff locks independently and have an extra channel for a winch.

2. I recommend high quality bullet connectors.

3. The program card comes with the ESC.

4. Looks like you have what you need, I like tiny zip ties to keep everything tidy.

5. You can adjust the PWM frequency with the program card.

6. Since you will be Powering everything with the 1080 esc, set it to 6v and you will be fine. If you have a high voltage servo and want full power, a separate BEC with a bypass adapter that you can buy or make by cutting a couple wires out of a wye.

7. Yes

All epa on all channels on your radiolink..you just made my day.BTW how is the range?
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygee View Post
All epa on all channels on your radiolink..you just made my day.BTW how is the range?

Not sure on range, it’s been too cold since I got the radio. I’ll test it this weekend...

Disco hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I mean not for nothing just would like to point out that if you wait for an shv500. You dont have to buy a bec or switch anything as it plugs directly into the original esc. All you need is a 4 inch servo extension and the shv500 is plug and play in the trx4.
I have had mine with the stock esc and my shv500 since the trx4 was released, and its been amazing. Still haven't broken anything either. And I drive a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo93 View Post
I mean not for nothing just would like to point out that if you wait for an shv500. You dont have to buy a bec or switch anything as it plugs directly into the original esc. All you need is a 4 inch servo extension and the shv500 is plug and play in the trx4.
I have had mine with the stock esc and my shv500 since the trx4 was released, and its been amazing. Still haven't broken anything either. And I drive a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
All input is greatly appreciated!

I think that I'd rather go ahead and replace the stock xl5 while it still works and could be sold, rather than wait on the shv500 since I have no idea how long that's going to take. My buddy's Savox 1230 fried his esc in less than an hour. I know that's completely different but idk... I feel like with my kind of luck, that I'm just tempting fate if I keep using it lol.

Alternatively, if I thought that I could get one in my hands relatively quickly, I'd probably have held off getting the 1080. I will say that I REALLY like a lot of what I've heard about the 1080 so hopefully no regrets!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

X2. I played some more with the settings card, set 100% reverse on all my esc, because sometimes you need it to get unstuck. There's a punch control setting that is default to 5 (middle of the road, settings are 1-9), I set this to 3 (can go lower down to 1 if I want) and even my Spektrum DX2E suddenly has smooth start up and great low speed crawl control even on 3S, love it!

Last edited by Natedog; 08-14-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks, Nate!

Lotta stuff showing up this week and last... Proline TSL XL's & Flat Iron XL's, SSD Steel Trail bead-locks, HW wp1080, Protek bullet connectors, front & rear Locked-Up steel portal covers, Associated 3" servo lead extension, new jar of flux, TRX4 shock rebuild kits, Associated 30wt shock oil, and some other little odds and ends. Waiting for another set of wheels ( Gmade SR04's in un-coated steel finish) and some CI Duece's Wild XL foams.

Noob install: Hobbywing WP1080 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing 860 Elissa Electronics 3 11-29-2016 05:03 AM
hobbywing brushless? smeesho Team Losi Comp Crawler 19 08-05-2013 03:33 PM
need help with hobbywing esc sharpen Axial Wraith 8 06-07-2012 09:15 AM
My Ultimate Comp Wheel install (by a noob) Pappy Tires and Wheels 12 09-16-2009 11:20 PM