Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Tqi module messing up my steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 04:28 AM   #1

Default Tqi module messing up my steering

I recently added the tqi module, the Traxxas bec and a Savox SW-1210SG servo to my 2021 bronco. All other electronics are stock. Since then often (not every time) when i turn the rig on the steering radius is next to nothing in both directions unless i open the phone aap for the tqi and it connects via Bluetooth to the car and transmitter. Once I open the application the steering returns to its full range.
Any ideas? It seems odd that it doesn’t do it all of the times and i sure don’t want to have to open the app every time i drive the car.
Also. Is there a way to change the esc driving modes from the application itself, or does it have to be from the actual esc?
I thought the module was such a great idea at the time, but so far i can’t seem to figure how to properly use all the available settings for the car.(like the subtrim i have no idea what it does)

Thank you for tour feedback.

Thanks for the feedback in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alxe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tqi module messing up my steering

dude its traxxasss just walk away
new radio and new esc will be money well spent
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The Bluetooth module will make your tx have two different setting sets: one active when the app is active and connected, another one active when app/bluetooth is not active.
You're simply experiencing the switchover between "online" and "offline". And it will happen again when you're driving and your phone loses the connection.
Traxxas knows Plastics, but anything electronic? not so much...

btw.: the difference between trim and subtrim is that trim only moves the center point whereas subtrim moves the endpoints, too. Also, subtrim usually is way finer than trim.
Normal use would be to trim a not centerable servo horn (one tooth more is too far) and use subtrim to center the steering when it drifts, e.g. from temperature or voltage change.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
You're simply experiencing the switchover between "online" and "offline". And it will happen again when you're driving and your phone loses the connection.
Traxxas knows Plastics, but anything electronic? not so much...
You would think the adjustment is saved within the car’s electronic somewhere, I’d suppose speed controller, receiver or who knows where. Not in my phone.
If it is the way you suggested (and that might be the case) the offline settings should at least be what they where prior to the tqi module instead of next to no steering.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post

Thanks for the response, but not useful at all. I could switch everything but that isn’t the case, I’m trying to figure how to resolve the issue not gut the car out and start replacing everything.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Start by reseting everything and start from scratch. One change at a time to actually understand what you are doing and what effect it has on the car. And don't forget to save the changes.

Try putting the car on a brick or a work station and change the different settings of the steering to notice how the wheels adjust. Throttle trim works the same way. Try increasing it and press the trigger lightly to see when you are happy with it.

But whatever you do, it's important to save that profile and make sure it's loaded when you turn the car on.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post

Traxxass, lol.

would definitely be worth the $80 for a 1080 & a Flysky radio…

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Traxxass, lol.

would definitely be worth the $80 for a 1080 & a Flysky radio…

I do have a 1080 in an arma granite i don’t use I can trow in, and I do like it.
Being that I’m so new to this hobby I don’t know if replacing the esc to the 1080 will let me install the Traxxas lighting kit that I want without having to do all kind of work arounds. I don’t mind the controller so far (granted i haven’t used a better one to compare) it seems ok for me. The low and high switch is right there along with the difs lock toggle switch. How would the flysky make the user experience better???

Old 04-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
Start by reseting everything and start from scratch. One change at a time to actually understand what you are doing and what effect it has on the car. And don't forget to save the changes.

Try putting the car on a brick or a work station and change the different settings of the steering to notice how the wheels adjust. Throttle trim works the same way. Try increasing it and press the trigger lightly to see when you are happy with it.

But whatever you do, it's important to save that profile and make sure it's loaded when you turn the car on.

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll definitely try that.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxe24 View Post
I do have a 1080 in an arma granite i don’t use I can trow in, and I do like it.
Being that I’m so new to this hobby I don’t know if replacing the esc to the 1080 will let me install the Traxxas lighting kit that I want without having to do all kind of work arounds. I don’t mind the controller so far (granted i haven’t used a better one to compare) it seems ok for me. The low and high switch is right there along with the difs lock toggle switch. How would the flysky make the user experience better???

Im not 100% familiar with the Traxxas lighting kit, so I have no answer to that one. But, If you don’t already have the light kit, I’d look at some aftermarket ones like HeyOk. A little more wiring, a bit cheaper, and probably a better product in the end. No, that’s not me bashing Traxxas, I love my TRX4, but one would assume a company that solely does lights/wiring produces a better product, especially talking about a company with garbage electronics.

As far as an aftermarket radio, you won’t realize how cheap the Traxxas feels until you try more. I thought the TQI was a great radio until I purchased a spektrum DX3 Smart and it’s miles ahead of the tqi. I personally like a radio with some weight, and both Flyskys I’ve had do. It’s also a lot of personal preference and hand fitment IMO. The TQI didn’t feel right in my hand, where as the Flysky & Spektrums do.

All of this is just opinions though, doesn’t mean it holds true for everyone.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 04-04-2022 at 08:14 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You would think the adjustment is saved within the car’s electronic somewhere, I’d suppose speed controller, receiver or who knows where. Not in my phone.
If it is the way you suggested (and that might be the case) the offline settings should at least be what they where prior to the tqi module instead of next to no steering.
It's stored in the Rx, and first time use of the BT module sometimes messes up the settings.

Yeah, you would think that the App just replaces the blink-and-press user interface, but no, you didn't think the way the programmers did, none of those ever had a model. The closest they are to Traxxas is by having a t-shirt, pen or mug from them i guess.

Who comes up with a Speedometer for a model that has a shiftable gearing and just forgets that?
Why are the battery meters all unusable because of weird fixed scales that not even fit to the RtR Traxxas models they're intended for?
Why can't you calibrate the Inclinometers, and why is their orientation fixed?

Quote:

If you want the TRX light kit you're stuck to the TRX electronics.
They use the red plug on the XL5 to power it, although that's just battery voltage, so you could use an adaptor or solder a plug to your battery wires when using a different ESC (which i would recommend: The HW 1080 or the ISDT ESC70 have far better BECs for cheap, and control the motor waaay better).
On the other hand: the simple "always on" light kit is crap, just buy anything else, it'll be cheaper and have at least the same (none) function and usually they plug into the rx with y-cables.
For the Scale light kit (that is pretty good) you need a TRX receiver to have the MAXXLINK wiring, and use the motor adapter to get brake lights going.
With the servo wiring for other Rx systems it just won't work right. Wonder why?

As for other Radios in itself: No other radio has the thumb switch and the diff switch. There are lots and lots out there that have buttons around the steering wheel, some have them on the top.
You get usable standard signals and could use other light control kits, like OSL, CTI, Laneboys, and whatnot, they all use +-100% Servo signals you won't get out the TRX radio, also, it's easy to have one with more channels so you could control the lights with extra buttons, impossible on the TRX radio.
But: it's also the only one with the App, Telemetry, Inclinometers, and light switch panels, so you're losing a bit, too.
Although there are Telemetry radios out there, none does it for the price of the TQi.
Spektrum is really good quality but pricy, FlySky is the other end, even cheaper than TQi, but they work. And there are lots of different compatible rx for them.
So the best would be to see other people with other radios and ask if you might try it, it needs to fit your hand (how heavy is it, how long/wide is the grip, how do the buttons feel, can you reach them) and often you would think you could program something but you simply can't, most of the manuals aren't worth looking at it.

Last edited by amigaman; 04-04-2022 at 11:31 PM.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
It's stored in the Rx, and first time use of the BT module sometimes messes up the settings.

Yeah, you would think that the App just replaces the blink-and-press user interface, but no, you didn't think the way the programmers did, none of those ever had a model. The closest they are to Traxxas is by having a t-shirt, pen or mug from them i guess.

Who comes up with a Speedometer for a model that has a shiftable gearing and just forgets that?
Why are the battery meters all unusable because of weird fixed scales that not even fit to the RtR Traxxas models they're intended for?
Why can't you calibrate the Inclinometers, and why is their orientation fixed?

If you want the TRX light kit you're stuck to the TRX electronics.
They use the red plug on the XL5 to power it, although that's just battery voltage, so you could use an adaptor or solder a plug to your battery wires when using a different ESC (which i would recommend: The HW 1080 or the ISDT ESC70 have far better BECs for cheap, and control the motor waaay better).
On the other hand: the simple "always on" light kit is crap, just buy anything else, it'll be cheaper and have at least the same (none) function and usually they plug into the rx with y-cables.
For the Scale light kit (that is pretty good) you need a TRX receiver to have the MAXXLINK wiring, and use the motor adapter to get brake lights going.
With the servo wiring for other Rx systems it just won't work right. Wonder why?

As for other Radios in itself: No other radio has the thumb switch and the diff switch. There are lots and lots out there that have buttons around the steering wheel, some have them on the top.
You get usable standard signals and could use other light control kits, like OSL, CTI, Laneboys, and whatnot, they all use +-100% Servo signals you won't get out the TRX radio, also, it's easy to have one with more channels so you could control the lights with extra buttons, impossible on the TRX radio.
But: it's also the only one with the App, Telemetry, Inclinometers, and light switch panels, so you're losing a bit, too.
Although there are Telemetry radios out there, none does it for the price of the TQi.
Spektrum is really good quality but pricy, FlySky is the other end, even cheaper than TQi, but they work. And there are lots of different compatible rx for them.
So the best would be to see other people with other radios and ask if you might try it, it needs to fit your hand (how heavy is it, how long/wide is the grip, how do the buttons feel, can you reach them) and often you would think you could program something but you simply can't, most of the manuals aren't worth looking at it.

Thanks a million for your in depth explanation. I really appreciate your time. For the time being until i become more proficient in the hobby i think I’ll stay with the Traxxas ecosystem. I feel more compelled to do a scratch build for learning purposes. I have my eye on the phoenix vanquish for that were i can choose all the electronics from the beginning.

Tqi module messing up my steering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TQi EP Steering setting itr1275 Electronics 3 01-24-2021 08:10 PM
TQI Steering Endpoints Issue AnimalHippie Electronics 18 02-17-2020 11:01 PM
Traxxas TQi One-hand steering mod... high plains drifter Traxxas TRX-4 3 06-03-2018 10:34 PM