Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Thinking about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Default Thinking about it.

I want to get a trx4... is this more capable than the scx10 2 rtr? Or as durable?
Ilovecrawling12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Thinking about it.

As capable....no. As durable...yes.

The 10.2 is a good bit lighter. The TRX-4 (maybe with exception of the Bronco) comes with a heavy body. Weight up high is not good for crawling. You can swap out the body and add some weight down low and it will be very capable.

As for durability, the TRX-4 is built very well. The plastics, shocks, links, and frame are higher quality than Axial's. The drivetrain is also very tough (as is Axial's). The only real drawback of the TRX-4 is it's electronics as far as durability is concerned. Pretty much all RTRs from every manufacturer come with cheap electronics, only the TRX-4 has 3 more servos than the others, and some people have had problems with them.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

TRX-4 kit with a decent body will be more capable than aan SCX10.2

But it’s also more complicated. I’m actually getting ready to spool mine and get rid of the locking diffs as I am tired of dealing with the servos.

I actually want an MST CFX-W, best of both worlds.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #4

The TRX-4 is more fun. It is also better built and made from higher quality materials than anything Axial.

Some people are having issues with the TRX-4 electronics, but the same happens with Axial electronics.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The trx-4 Bronco is a great rig, but be sure to adjust the servo endpoints so they don't get overworked. Order some $12 JX PDI-6221MG 20KG (not 360 version) servos from Banggood (or eBay) as backups, and you'll be all set; they're what I run on my Axial rigs. Other than that, don't be afraid to pull the trigger on such a solid choice.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

I sold my 10.2 and a slash to get the doll hairs together for the bronco, a few days after I got it I ended up buying a second one.

Build quality is great, like the others said. I never broke anything on my 10.2 though, just had to deal with the shocks leaking a little. The trx4 shocks are the GTS and are smoother than bill withers on a Friday night. Stock tires were more to my liking on the Rex instead of the 10.2 as well. You’ll have a lot of fun with both, but I could safely say I don’t think you can go wrong with a Trx4, just try to get the bronco body, or the chassis kit, so you don’t have to work around that huge, clunky but good looking Land Rover body.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I love my trx bronco kinda sux with waiting on the parts to drop. Every thing i saw and read people said out of the box trx 4 is better for newer drives . But if ur in to upgrading the scx is better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BRENDEN J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice.. I think I’m going to add this to my collection today. I guess I can try and see if it can keep up with my scx10 2...
Ilovecrawling12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

As a trail truck I have had no better. Currently have a Total of 41.5 miles (66.8km) on mine. Just runs and runs.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I love my trx4 and I debated myself back and forth between the scx10 and the TRX4 and I would definitely have to agree that the defender body out of the box has some up high weight issues and knowing that I bought it anyway. I decided to try it as it was and work on it from there on forth. Had it out for a couple drives a couple hours a piece and decided a couple things were needed. You can do a couple DIY bumper mods to tuck them in and up but I decided to order some that are tight and flush. The other thing that I noticed was that the spare tire adds unnecessary weight on the climb up that's if it doesn't drag and hang you up. So I order the spare tire delete and rotopak relocate from knightcustoms which will help with weight and drag. I love it and I'm sure you will to. I'm just going to pick away at it and try and make it fit my style of driving which I'm still trying to figure out haha. You won't regret it.
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about it. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM
Thinking about a new one swamprat86 Arkansas 2 08-23-2011 08:05 AM
I am thinking of getting a CC racenut Duratrax Cliff Climber 4 06-04-2009 01:16 AM