Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Anyone try this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone try this?

https://www.banggood.com/17PCS-LED-F..._warehouse=USA

Searched IC LED TRX4 on RCC and came up empty. Just wondering if anyone has tried this kit? I purchased it off ebay for about $25 shipped from NJ. Hoping it gets here sooner than the slow boat from China.

I'll update regardless, but I wanted input from other purchasers if they exist.

Seems like a decent kit, found a YouTube video on it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFEIIZYz810
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 03-25-2018 at 10:59 PM.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

Default Re: Anyone try this?

Cool find.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I scored those when they were 15 dollars, I found out about that kit from Kisun's RC Life on YouTube, He made a video of his install. You need to watch his video, the kit comes with no instructions and he has a translation of where to plug everything in on the board.

I just did a search and there are several on eBay and some are different, a couple kits even have the rock lights !
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+TRX4&_sacat=0

While your on there, check out the rest of his vids....lots of TRX4 video !
He is in South Korea.

Last edited by ScoJac; 03-19-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: eBay link
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
I scored those when they were 15 dollars, I found out about that kit from Kisun's RC Life on YouTube, He made a video of his install. You need to watch his video, the kit comes with no instructions and he has a translation of where to plug everything in on the board.

While your on there, check out the rest of his vids....lots of TRX4 video !
He is in South Korea.

They are still available for about $15, but they come from China. I am impatient!

The video I linked is the same you linked. I planned on using his instructions when it came time to set up.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well the plug set up is very confusing still. I have had my lights 3 months and never fitted because of the complexity. Also if it gets wet........
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Too bad on not being able to use them. Hopefully I'll get the wiring done with those instructions, or trial and error.

You should get a bottle of conformal coating, it will be perfect for these pbc boards. Couple of coats and you're good to go in any weather.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I was playing around with the light kit this evening. Figured out a few things that I thought would be pertinent to share with anyone who wants to know.

When I hooked everything up via the Youtube video screenshot, my truck would have the amber lights when moving forward. I dislike this. So I tracked the LED wiring on the PCB. I unplugged the Black wire on the Yellow and Black wire combo. Leaving just the Yellow wire. (See photo)

Another thing that was wrong on my setup, was the blinkers. Left was right and right was left. So I again, tracked the wiring and found the Yellow wires on the Yellow and White combo. Switched the Left Yellow to Right Yellow slot.
On the PCB there is a R and an L. This stands for Right and Left. Plug the appropriate Yellow wire into the according side slot.

The last thing that was incorrect is that the Reverse light doesn't work. The pin isn't getting voltage. The slots (2) that say Back don't seem to be getting any voltage. Even when the trigger is pushed into Reverse.
Not a big deal, but annoying. As a "Fix" I plugged the White wire on the Right Rear Yellow and White combo into the Brake slot. So after you accelerate and coast you light up the Brake lights.
The brake lights are not dependent on pressing the trigger into reverse. Just "Coasting".

EDIT: Upon further investigation the reverse led works as intended. It needs about 75% throttle input however. So my initial bench testing was too slow speed.

Last but not least is the 5 right most plugs. The photo translates these to "Serch" Search? Regardless they are always hot plugs. So you could wire additional lights to be always on. The voltage is low. Either 1.2V or 4v I can't recall. I will update if I check again.

I think that's all for now. I plan on coating the PCB's in conformal coating and installing in the truck soon. Wanted to do some more searching on these to see if I missed anything.

P.S. When the video says to plug into the receiver in parallel it simply means to take the extensions, plug them into CH1 and CH2 on the PCB controller. Then plug the Parallel wired Y cable into the extension, your CH1 servo, and finally into the CH1 slot in your receiver. Same with CH2. You are simply sharing the trucks receiver port with the existing connections. I can explain in greater detail if necessary.

If anyone notices something I missed, or incorrectly noted, please speak up! Trying to make this as correct and informative as possible. This seems like a super cheap and slick way to get your TRX4 lights.

Last edited by robertjpjr; 03-25-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Short video of the truck in action.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap69_oAJ8pjhkWry_FBunKIyrIQg

Overall very happy with the light kit. Easy to install, fitment is excellent, lights are great.

Downsides are obvious, no instructions and not waterproof in stock form. Also, the forward amber LEDs.
All easy fixes in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hey sorry for the necropost... I recently got into crawlers and bought this for my TRX-4.

I had the same issue with the blinkers, and the info here was very helpful.

However... I have an issue that when I switch to low gear the lights go crazy (one blinker is on all the time, one brake light is on and the headlights die).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Also any ideas how to package this nicely inside the truck? I am thinking of pulling out the CH1 and CH2 plugs from the box and replacing with the Y cables provided so the box can be sealed back. But where on the chassis would you mount the PCB?
xplan303ex is offline   Reply With Quote