Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: New Sport has arrived!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Default New Sport has arrived!

Today I came home and my TRX4 Sport was delivered. After reading up on the instructions, I took her for a spin on some rocks. I put some scratches on the new body but man was it a blast! I’m also running the Traxxas 3s Lipo 5000mah battery and it lasted a long time. I’m only used to rc’s Lasting 15 to 20 minutes before it dies. I’m just now getting back into rc and I opted to get the Traxxas live ID charger. It is very fast and simple to use, plus you can adjust a lot from the app. My only concern is later on if I want to upgrade the esc or motor, will the battery and charger still be comparable? I also noticed the Servo was kind of weak but it’s fine for now until I figure out a good upgrade.

I was going to post pics but apparently I can’t or at least not for a phone.

Last edited by OperatorB; 07-10-2018 at 08:15 PM.
OperatorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Sport has arrived!

Welcome, you’ll enjoy it.
There are a lot of terrific people on RCCrawler and will help you out with whatever you need.
You can use any esc with the Traxxas batteries, all that needs to be done is to purchase a plug adapter or solder on a Traxxas connector. The 2075X servo is very weak and will have a short life. I would not buy a servo under 250 oz/in. Depending on the size servo you will want to pick up an external bec. A good one that almost everyone runs is the Holmes Hobbies 10 amp. When you purchase a new servo get an aluminum servo horn from either Traxxas, Samix or HotRacing those are the only companies that offer horns with the 22mm hole to hole spacing that the TRX4 uses...I’d just get the Traxxas one, it’s $6.

Since you are just getting back into r/c take a look through the Guide to the TRX4 thread that’s stickied above.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Welcome, you’ll enjoy it.
There are a lot of terrific people on RCCrawler and will help you out with whatever you need.
You can use any esc with the Traxxas batteries, all that needs to be done is to purchase a plug adapter or solder on a Traxxas connector. The 2075X servo is very weak and will have a short life. I would not buy a servo under 250 oz/in. Depending on the size servo you will want to pick up an external bec. A good one that almost everyone runs is the Holmes Hobbies 10 amp. When you purchase a new servo get an aluminum servo horn from either Traxxas, Samix or HotRacing those are the only companies that offer horns with the 22mm hole to hole spacing that the TRX4 uses...I’d just get the Traxxas one, it’s $6.

Since you are just getting back into r/c take a look through the Guide to the TRX4 thread that’s stickied above.

Thank you for the advice.

Would you solder the traxxas connector on the battery or the esc? I didn’t think you could but Traxxas ID connectors.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You would solder the Traxxas connector on the esc, the battery uses its ID connector for the charging and storing functions with the charger only. The esc only needs a + and - . It’s just the standard connector that the esc uses.
If you decide later to upgrade and get a new esc the one that most get is the HobbyWing 1080.

Also if you decide to post pics, I use Flickr and share with the embed code. Pics should be in the medium sizes I usually use 800 x 600 that way you can just paste the code and not use the pic tool in the post header toolbar.

Last edited by ScoJac; 07-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
You would solder the Traxxas connector on the esc, the battery uses its ID connector for the charging and storing functions with the charger only. The esc only needs a + and - . It’s just the standard connector that the esc uses.
If you decide later to upgrade and get a new esc the one that most get is the HobbyWing 1080.

Also if you decide to post pics, I use Flickr and share with the embed code. Pics should be in the medium sizes I usually use 800 x 600 that way you can just paste the code and not use the pic tool in the post header toolbar.

That’s good to know. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to use all the functions of my charger due to me having to go to a deans or x60 connector.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you get a new esc later just get the Traxxas gen 1 connector (non ID) part # 3070 and are $4 for 2 connectors.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
If you get a new esc later just get the Traxxas gen 1 connector (non ID) part # 3070 and are $4 for 2 connectors.
Sweet thank you!!! Man I love forums.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Sweet thank you!!! Man I love forums.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Welcome to the Trx-4 addiction bro! Ask anything you need. Allot of great people on these forums.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I have 2 TRX4's and I love 'em! The Sport should prove a ton of fun and it already boasts a ton of aftermarket support.

I initially went with a Traxxas 5000 mah lipo and ID charger but I also use other batteries with XT60 connectors into the stock Traxxas ESC ( with an adapter). I went with a SkyRC IMAX B6AC charger to charge the XT60 equipped batteries and the only thing that I had to do was to get an XT60 to Traxxas adapter for my rigs ( 2 pack is under $5 on ebay). The IMAX B6AC is imo a much better and comprehensive charger than the Traxxas charger and is only about $45. I still use the ID charger with the Traxxas battery but if you plan to eventually run other batteries, the IMAX is a great quality charger for the money. It also comes with a lot of adapters to charge a variety of batteries with Deans, EC3, XT60, etc connectors.

This is the adapter that I plug into my stock ESC in order to run other XT60 batteries:

Also I doubt that your stock steering servo is going to last very long. There are some great servo choices out there but the DS3218 is a decent replacement for cheap ( less than $18 ). It's not the strongest but it seems to have much better reliability and a bit better torque than the stock Traxxas servo. The ProModeler 470 also seems to be gaining popularity in the $100 +/- servo arena with a ton of torque but I think that they're unavailable at the moment. Savox is a very popular brand with the crawler crowd as well.

There is a great thread here on RCC regarding cheap servo's... Tons of good info in this thread when you're ready to look into upgrading.

What the newest cheap servo hotness?

Last edited by high plains drifter; 07-11-2018 at 05:47 AM.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #11

Post photos! Congrats on the Sport. The TRX-4 is awesome.

Your battery and charger should be fine for a long time unless you go with some insane brushless system that wouldn't be good in the TRX-4 anyway. Moving forward just be aware you can get much better and less inexpensive batteries if you avoid Traxxas. Companies sell you better batteries for lower prices and some of them will even solder a Traxxas connector on for you.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Post photos! Congrats on the Sport. The TRX-4 is awesome.

Your battery and charger should be fine for a long time unless you go with some insane brushless system that wouldn't be good in the TRX-4 anyway. Moving forward just be aware you can get much better and less inexpensive batteries if you avoid Traxxas. Companies sell you better batteries for lower prices and some of them will even solder a Traxxas connector on for you.

Thank you. That is good to know and a relief. For now the motor is fine but I would like to upgrade the Servo soon. From videos on YouTube, it appears you have to modify the servo in order to fit the upgraded servo in place. Is that true with all servos for the TRX4?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperatorB View Post
Thank you. That is good to know and a relief. For now the motor is fine but I would like to upgrade the Servo soon. From videos on YouTube, it appears you have to modify the servo in order to fit the upgraded servo in place. Is that true with all servos for the TRX4?
It's probably true for all non-Traxxas servos. They make theirs a slightly different size. You can modify the stock, plastic mount which is easy or you can buy the Yeah Racing aluminum mount like I did. The Yeah Racing mount has slots on the one side to accommodate different size servos. LSXGMC gave me the heads up on it and it's a nice piece. But beware, the assembly isn't that simple. It's not difficult, but you have to take a bunch apart to get the old mount out and the new mount in.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/yea-trx4-005bk.htm

Oh and just a hint - you can embed your images so people don't have to click on links or download them, but they have to be 1200 pixels or smaller.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-11-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
It's probably true for all non-Traxxas servos. They make theirs a slightly different size. You can modify the stock, plastic mount which is easy or you can buy the Yeah Racing aluminum mount like I did. The Yeah Racing mount has slots on the one side to accommodate different size servos. LSXGMC gave me the heads up on it and it's a nice piece. But beware, the assembly isn't that simple. It's not difficult, but you have to take a bunch apart to get the old mount out and the new mount in.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/yea-trx4-005bk.htm

Oh and just a hint - you can embed your images so people don't have to click on links or download them, but they have to be 1200 pixels or smaller.

Yeah I’m using Flickr and I don’t know how to make them smaller. I’ll have to read up a bit on how to do that. Other forums were a little easier to post pics. I’d did post some pics on this thread but they were huge.

About the mount, that looks like a good idea and I’d rather do that then modify plastic. Is there any YouTube or instructions on how to install the mount?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Yeah I’m using Flickr and I don’t know how to make them smaller. I’ll have to read up a bit on how to do that. Other forums were a little easier to post pics. I’d did post some pics on this thread but they were huge.

About the mount, that looks like a good idea and I’d rather do that then modify plastic. Is there any YouTube or instructions on how to install the mount?
Flickr has a menu for sharing. At the bottom right of the photo (using the webpage not the app) there's an arrow pointing right. Click that, choose BB Code and then select the size. I typically post at 1024x576 because that's the largest size that still meets the forum rules.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Flickr has a menu for sharing. At the bottom right of the photo (using the webpage not the app) there's an arrow pointing right. Click that, choose BB Code and then select the size. I typically post at 1024x576 because that's the largest size that still meets the forum rules.
I’m using my phone but without the app. I’m seeing how to share but no place to select B.B. code. I’ll have to get on my computer later and see if it shows up like that.

Thank you for letting me know.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #18

Got it!!! Thank you for showing me how to do this.

CF188774-79F8-4BE5-8F8C-C6F45D489197 by brandon kline, on Flickr

6064DE73-9748-4607-9A45-8E65394FBA6B by brandon kline, on Flickr

989B75DC-69EA-4BAD-B485-3AC1A6F2C3F8 by brandon kline, on Flickr

F0C1933E-EA4D-4F17-A2F6-428FA04F3423 by brandon kline, on Flickr

2301B632-1624-44A6-8EBB-9CA65437383E by brandon kline, on Flickr
Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Got it!!! Thank you for showing me how to do this.
You're welcome! I'm glad you figured it out.

Sweet truck. I'm tempted to buy a Sport today with eBay's 15% off coupon. Good place to get spare parts today if you plan on upgrading soon.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
You're welcome! I'm glad you figured it out.

Sweet truck. I'm tempted to buy a Sport today with eBay's 15% off coupon. Good place to get spare parts today if you plan on upgrading soon.
I think you should do it. Especially with a 15% off coupon.

New Sport has arrived! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It has arrived Motorider Traxxas TRX-4 7 11-08-2017 10:57 AM
It has arrived. Angus_Beef Axial Yeti XL 21 03-14-2015 10:56 AM
She arrived... jbsmith05 Newbie General 12 04-05-2013 07:15 PM
Jr Has arrived hende Chit Chat 7 03-19-2012 09:42 PM
My CR-01 Has arrived BLUE 2 Tamiya CR-01 2 05-11-2008 11:53 PM