Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 speed upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Default TRX4 speed upgrade

Hello. I bough meself a TRX4 some time ago and im enjoying it thoroughly.
Lately i concluded that i would like to have more speed without completely compromising its crawling capability. By crawling i mean nothing close to competitive of professional, just for fun. I enjoy crawling as much as zipping about in the second gear but while crawling is more than sufficient to my needs, id like to have a little more speed. Now it does 11 mph according to the official specs, in my mind something like 25 mph in second gear would be a nice upgrade.

Is this possible? How and how much it would cost?

I assume i would need a new esc, a motor, and a better battery? Now i have a 5200 3s 40c battery. Thanks for comments.
Kereplaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 speed upgrade

Sounds like you want a good brushless system.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Puller Pro 3800KV paired with a Mamba X ESC should get a little over 24 mph with stock gearing and your current 3S LiPo according to Repashy's spreadsheet and comes to $266.50 as a combo from Holmes Hobbies. Not sure about shipping.

Last edited by bbrigg; 12-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Isn’t it fast enough on 3S and high gear? I think 2S in high is fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Isn’t it fast enough on 3S and high gear? I think 2S in high is fast!

That's kinda what I was thinking, mine is fast enough in high on 3s, after I typed that I had to laugh, twenty years ago I would've been trying to make it faster though, lmao.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

I think it is a little bit too slow... It takes a little too long to finish the track I have here and my dog can out run it

I dont need anything ground braking, just a reasonable speed boost.

260 dollars sounds a little too steep for me. Id rather go for something off brand, and preferably available in Europe.

Maybe some orientation specs in general? Im good a finding stuff to buy, but I do not know what I need to achieve my goals.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
RCC Addict

OP, take a look at some of Kevin Talbot's videos. He has done some crazy s**t with his TRX4s in terms of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0uEntw70c&t=531s
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I'd get a dedicated faster rig so you can do both if you want crazy speed!

I put in a HH Puller pro 2700, a 9t pinion and mamba X. I love it. It has zippy speed in 2nd and crawls really well in 1st. I am very happy and have a blast with it.

I don't however know what the top speed is. It's fun for me and if I kept the stock pinion I think it would be too fast for what it is. It definitely is not as fast as you want but it works great.

It's on 3s btw
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

@Kereplaz if you ever need more than 10mph of TRX4 you bought yourself a wrong truck. TRX4 is everything but model for speed racing. I have slash 4x4 for that. Slash can do one thing that trx4 will not do even with brushless. It can go around a corner in speed and not roll over :-)
Putting 3800kv in trx4 is insane. You will lost all low speed control for crawling. Original motor is around 1900KV, I went with 2280KV mamba X for TRX4, it makes model 15% faster than stock, which is reasonable yet. But if you need 100% faster truck, do not ruin your trx4 and get yourself a buggy.
Marek_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

General specs to achieve your goal
Brushless motor system, sensored is crucial if you still want to crawl with it. You'll want something in the 3000kv range.
Once motor system is figured out, experiment with gearing until it's fast enough for you but still able to crawl.
FnFancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I just tried the bronco with a 3S and it seems way too fast in 2nd. Even with the diffs open. Roll over city. No thank you.

It was great for 1st gear. But still seems overkill in 2nd to me.

And I love 3S on my TF2 and Ascender.

To each there own. = )

BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereplaz View Post
Hello. I bough meself a TRX4 some time ago and im enjoying it thoroughly.
Lately i concluded that i would like to have more speed without completely compromising its crawling capability. By crawling i mean nothing close to competitive of professional, just for fun. I enjoy crawling as much as zipping about in the second gear but while crawling is more than sufficient to my needs, id like to have a little more speed. Now it does 11 mph according to the official specs, in my mind something like 25 mph in second gear would be a nice upgrade.

Is this possible? How and how much it would cost?

I assume i would need a new esc, a motor, and a better battery? Now i have a 5200 3s 40c battery. Thanks for comments.

There will be a lot of opinions thrown at you, but it's your money. There's nothing wrong with wanting the badass scale look of a TRX-4 but wanting to use it for speed and not crawling. There's a guy on YouTube under the name 75gamedog .. check out his Candy Red TRX-4 Bronco. He didn't set it up to crawl...he set it up for speed and is having a ball with it. Just enjoy the hobby and do what makes you happy. . I'll post one of his videos from my phone in a minute.
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Check this video out:

https://youtu.be/CfU_HzJxQbU

Watch it all...midway through he does some speed passes...lol

Looks fun to me!

Last edited by VaOldSchool; 12-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #14

I appreciate replies and opinions. I double appreciate the information. Just to be clear my crawling is non competitive in the slightest and im not planning to just throw away the original motor and esc...

That video is super fun. Bluetooth speaker thing is hilarious and i have one thats fits too... So thats going to be a thing in summer definitely.

Oh i think i bought the perfect truck. I dont like buggies. And not rolling over is part of the challenge and fun. But i will scale down my speed expectations.

One more thing. Do sensored systems are somehow susceptible to water more that "waterproof" labeled kits? I really love the ability to rinse the truck in shower after going out, and that is a thing that i am not willing to loose (with general resistance to water in general, obviously).
Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #15
33m
Pebble Pounder

Try putting a 16t pinion in. See how it feels. The stock motor might not last too long.
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
OP, take a look at some of Kevin Talbot's videos. He has done some crazy s**t with his TRX4s in terms of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0uEntw70c&t=531s
Quote:
I have seen his stuff, but Im not aiming for that, which should be understandable from my earlier descriptions... Im solely looking for advice and precise information of what I should look for, if possible...
Wow that's a great testament to the durability of the TRX-4 and why it's slowly becoming the new king of the hill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The point was that he is running a Mamba X w/3800kv brushless system on 6s. The same setup on 3s should be pretty close to what you want. But I'll just let you figure it out on your own.
I think, and hope, that was more of a language barrier thing than attitude.

Quote:
I would not be posting on a forum if I wanted to just figure it out on my own, obviously. And as I mentioned before this combo is way too expensive for me.
What's your budget? Because, in all honesty, doesn't have a bad price.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:15 AM   #17

I bought a mystery ESC and Motor from ebay. Not the cheapest one but not close to the high end either. Ill update whats what when I get the thing...

TRX4 speed upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 speed conversion kit/activating servo in my trx4 sport ShotCrawler Traxxas Crawlers 3 08-31-2021 05:11 PM
Traxxas Trx4 sport body & bumper mods upgrade for better crawling ability! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 12-10-2018 11:35 AM
Trx4 motor upgrade. toddtrx4 Newbie General 8 02-28-2018 04:03 AM
New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade?? BCortani Newbie General 36 02-27-2018 12:43 PM