Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: The Defenestrator, aka "durok does a Defender"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Defenestrator, aka "durok does a Defender"

--- Sequence of Events ---

I had gone for an all-day crawl session on Saturday because...

...Austin had 37deg for a high Feb.8, and then one week later we hit 90!

But I only got 5 minutes of runtime and the stock servo said goodbye.

(and it was frankly WAY too warm for February - I was actually sweating as I trudged back to the car)

After work yesterday I got home and hooked the JX BLS-12V7146 servo directly to the power take-off and tested it, centered it and bolted the SSD servo horn to it.

Added a 6" servo extension and then hooked it up again for a final test before closing up the radio box and attaching the steering link...

...and MUSHROOM CLOUD!

Good thing I already have a HobbyWing 1080 / Holmes TrailMaster Sport 550 21t waiting to install in there.

Still, it's frankly amazing to me how much smoke came out - it was at face level up on my computer desk - managed to yank the LiPo out pretty damn quick - SO glad I didn't damage my 27" 144Hz gaming monitor or high-end speakers that were inches away!

I don't recommend anyone buy any of the "12V" JX servos, that's the 3rd I'm aware of that fried upon connection to a 3S power source, and they claim 11.1v or 14v is safe.

IIRC, I was the first to actually order one of those servos - a few months before it became known that they were basically rip-offs of JRH's original Holmes SHV500 v1 servo design (but done somewhat poorly).

I thankfully only paid $55 shipped for it, but didn't get around to trying it out for ages because the servo I bought it as a backup for never quit on me (yep, you guessed it - the HH SHV500 v1 in my Revolver-powered Bomber).

Had I known it was going to take out my other electronics when plugged in I certainly wouldn't have bought the damn thing.

So now I get to clean the melt residue off the TRX-4 and worry about if the micro-servos are ruined as well...

Heck -I may set it up without any of the other channels - install lockers and/or keep it single speed - not sure yet.
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

That’s a bummer durok. I wouldn’t blame you for locking the diffs up and running 1 speed. Simplicity breeds durability.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Holy crap durok, thats awful. Hopefully it didnt ruin anything else. On another note, u could possibly use the aluminum case for an upgrade case on another servo

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking about getting a new Traxxas receiver from eBay, and then installing the HW 1080 ESC, HH Motor, DS3225 servo, and keeping my fingers crossed that the micro-servos still work. There are only two of the Eco-Power micro-servos available on all of the internet as far as I can tell at this time, otherwise they are back-ordered. Hopefully I don't need to wait for them to come available...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Can you test the micro servers off another rig? Anything with a BEC and just adjust the output voltage to 6v to test them?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #46
Gold Star Baby!

That really sucks Durok. Those types of incidents are scary. Only had it happen to me once with a yeti but it was not fun. Hope the rest of the truck is healthy.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Meltdown is never fun, I had it happen on the bench once myself with another rig, never did figure out what went wrong either, they go up quick!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Appreciate all the sympathetic comments, guys!

The receiver may also be OK, I'm just deciding what I want to risk connecting and testing right now...
Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

I dont see why anyone would need more than a Hitec 7954 403 @7.4 on these rigs... Ive owned so many over the years. They are just powerful bulletproof servos and can be had around 80 bucks.
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
After work yesterday I got home and hooked the JX BLS-12V7146 servo directly to the power take-off and tested it, centered it and bolted the SSD servo horn to it.

Added a 6" servo extension and then hooked it up again for a final test before closing up the radio box and attaching the steering link...

...and MUSHROOM CLOUD!
While it totally sucks that your electronics turned into vape bros, we can use this as a teaching moment.

The JX 12V servos are not the same as Holmes servos for less money, presenting exhibit A:

Your loss can be a collective gain for the world, take comfort in that fact.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

I believe I'm gonna go down in history as exhibit C, but it was still quite informative!

The Defenestrator, aka "durok does a Defender" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Ford Expedition Concept AKA "BIG BLACK" sgtbham 1.9 Scale Rigs 35 10-30-2013 12:09 AM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM
Things changing for Don aka "Billet Works" billet works Chit Chat 27 09-16-2009 06:46 PM