Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Project: M8 TRX6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project: M8 TRX6

Finally got the chassis for this build...

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

If you have ever wondered what an almost naked TRX6 looks like, here it is...

The last steps in the tear-down will be two replace the wheel well shock towers and replace them with aluminum towers, which are scheduled to arrive sometime next week. I will also get rid of the diff-lock servos, but I think I'll keep the two speed, the DX6e should have an extra channel or two on the chassis side of the house. Unless something changes my mind, I will more than likely use the XL5 in crawler mode. I will be using one of Castle's 20A BECs for power.

After the shock towers go on the wheels will come off and fabrication of parts and pieces will begin. I will build it starting from the cab, and working my way back. I am still undecided on what I am going to do for the back of it, flat bed or semi 5th wheel hitch; might make the system modular so I can go either way fairly easily.

I will certainly need to do some work to the suspension to accommodate the weight. My guess right now is that the whole rig completed with top the scales at around 20 pounds. I'll likely put limiters in the shocks, giving them about 50% movement, and the preload will be all of the way down. When I am putting the limiters in, I'll put 60wt oil in to control sway.

Right now I am not planning on putting outriggers on, because that is a whole new bag of cats to deal with, but I need to see how well the chassis behaves when the crane is operational.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

My slow motion commotion continues...

Between OT at work, school, other projects and a bevy of family issues, progress on this rig has been slower than what I wanted.

I finally got the frame stripped down to the point that I can start adding parts. I had to buy two sets of this towers to completely remove the wheel wells. From this point I'll start designing the mount for the cab, then I will shift to getting the crane platform mounted. Once those two are done, I'll start in on the engine compartment that goes between the two, then the bed.

Right now my plan is to put the electronics in the engine compartment, and put the battery under the bed. Of course, all of this is subject to change as the spirit moves me.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

wow... looks like quite project..got me in suspense
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig n tahoe View Post
wow... looks like quite project..got me in suspense
Me too...!!!

Between college and work I have had no time to work on this (or any RC project ). But, I am hoping to have my current class completed by the end of this weekend, an that will give me about a month or so before my next class starts, and will hopefully get some work done on this project.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Progress!!!!

I finally got some hardcore time to work on the cab base, and its chassis interface. I printed a test piece in white filament (5% infill) to allow for easy marking for changes and adjustments that need to be made.

by Scott O, on Flickr

by Scott O, on Flickr

Overall it fits very well. I'll fix and adjust everything that needs tweaking, make a mount for the servo winch, and throw in some more detail before I print it out in olive green.

UPDATE...

I am about done with the lower portion of the cab, and getting ready to send it to the printer (27 hours). I need to figure out what I am missing on the front to make it look "complete".

The big square in the middle is were a grill is going to go. The small square below that is for the winch line, and will have an aluminum fairlead. The two holes closest to the bottom are where the shackle mounts go. The four upper holes are were that portion bolts onto the cab itself.

So, with all of that, what other details should I throw on the front without getting the whole mess overly busy?

Cab_base v24 by Scott O, on Flickr

Last edited by Greatscott; 02-28-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Project: M8 TRX6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's TRX6 OSRC Traxxas TRX-4 22 11-03-2020 01:27 PM
Trx6 michaeltncrawler Tennessee 5 07-04-2020 06:58 PM
TRX6 New Color Rockin140 Traxxas Crawlers 1 01-29-2020 02:09 AM
TRX6 New Color Rockin140 General Crawlers 9 12-12-2019 02:30 PM