Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Radio Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

Default TRX4 Radio Upgrade

Radio in my truck came faulty from the factory. Traxxas is sending a new one. Want to upgrade though. Any thoughts on a good radio for the truck? I’ve got the bronco. Hear good things about the flysky gt5. Any suggestions?
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2021, 03:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX4 Radio Upgrade

I have the Flysky gt3c on my Trx and a gt3b for my SCX10. Great budget friendly radio! I definitely recommend it. You can buy them already hacked to 8 channels or do it yourself. Then go on YouTube to Exocaged RC channel he has videos to set it up for your Trx. Very simple setup. Good luck! Have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I have the Flysky gt3c on my Trx and a gt3b for my SCX10. Great budget friendly radio! I definitely recommend it. You can buy them already hacked to 8 channels or do it yourself. Then go on YouTube to Exocaged RC channel he has videos to set it up for your Trx. Very simple setup. Good luck! Have a great day!

Good to know. Thanks man. How easy was it to install the receiver on the truck for the flysky?
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The 6 channel will fit inside the stock RX box. The 8ch will not. I put the 6ch in mine. It's a little tight but fits in there fine. I ran the antenna through the hole where the rubber plug is in the lid then popped the plug back in. If you want the 8ch just remove the stock electronics box and install it there. If there's any chance you're going to get it wet then pop the RX housing apart and conformal coat the board then reinstall into the housing. Still might get dirt in the RX like that tho.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'll second the Flysky GT5, it's a great budget radio with a ton of adjustments and all the channels you'll need.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

I actually went the opposite route and went back to the factory radio after running it on my DX5 pro for a while. I was never able to get the channel mapping exactly how I wanted it for the lockers and the 2 speed. The switches on the Traxxas radio just work with no fiddling around :-)
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I say just stick with the factory one and get some brass instead of a new transmitter. The TQI is a good radio.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I say just stick with the factory one and get some brass instead of a new transmitter. The TQI is a good radio.
Or a new steering servo. It's a matter of when, not if the factory one fails
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
Or a new steering servo. It's a matter of when, not if the factory one fails
Yeah, that too. One of the first things I did to my TRX4
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Upgraded servo is the absolute first thing I recommend. Radio is not in the top 5 first things to upgrade on the Trx-4 in my opinion. Did the new radio help? Most definitely it did, but other things that were more on the dependability/performance end of it came first.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Upgraded servo is the absolute first thing I recommend. Radio is not in the top 5 first things to upgrade on the Trx-4 in my opinion. Did the new radio help? Most definitely it did, but other things that were more on the dependability/performance end of it came first.

Agreed.

I really had no issues with stock radio. Worked just fine when I switched out to the mamba x also.

I would drive the truck for a while and get to learn it before throwing brass at it.

That way you can see or notice if it was a benefit or not for your usage.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Benp the Flysky GT5 is the way to go 100%. It has been the most reliable RC transmitter out there no problems and lots of options for scale rigs or anything else right now 3 rigs run on one of these and 2 more rigs on the way and under $69.99 on amazon prime its only other rival as far as RC products longevity and performance is the HW 1080 esc..... BUZZZZZZZ........
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've got a question for those that actually have the FS-GT5, because I'm on the fence a couple of months now, but haven't decided to buy it yet. If you take out the extra channels, meaning that you don't use any winch or lights to control through it, but use it as you would use the TQi, gear swifting and diff locking and driving of course, does it make any REAL difference on the actual driving and response you get from the car?

Does it improve anything noticeably?
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
I've got a question for those that actually have the FS-GT5, because I'm on the fence a couple of months now, but haven't decided to buy it yet. If you take out the extra channels, meaning that you don't use any winch or lights to control through it, but use it as you would use the TQi, gear swifting and diff locking and driving of course, does it make any REAL difference on the actual driving and response you get from the car?

Buzzzzz Xagoras..... the EPA End Points Adjustment Tab ion the Flysky is amazing you can dial in any channel to precisely what you need from the channel like diff locks or shifters or whatever you plug in also great for four wheel steer one of my favorites truly worth the 70$.... bUZZZZ....
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
does it make any REAL difference on the actual driving and response you get from the car?

I'm going to say yes. Throttle and steering response is much better then stock tqi. I noticed a difference in my driving with the better RX/TX. Also being able to fully adjust the endpoints for the shift/diff servos will help the life of those micro servos.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

FlySky GT5
Scale Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Benp the Flysky GT5 is the way to go 100%. It has been the most reliable RC transmitter out there no problems and lots of options for scale rigs or anything else right now 3 rigs run on one of these and 2 more rigs on the way and under $69.99 on amazon prime its only other rival as far as RC products longevity and performance is the HW 1080 esc..... BUZZZZZZZ........

Oh I’m in 100% agreement with that.

I love my GT5.

I was just mentioning that the stock radio worked fine for me with my setup.

Thank God I didn’t need endpoint adjustments with it though.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50misson View Post
Radio in my truck came faulty from the factory. Traxxas is sending a new one. Want to upgrade though. Any thoughts on a good radio for the truck? I’ve got the bronco. Hear good things about the flysky gt5. Any suggestions?
Radiolink RC6GS V2.
80.00 for the radio and one F7GS Receiver.
Additional Receivers are from 12 F6 Receivier
to 15 F6GS Receivers
to 20 F7GS Receivers.
10 model memory on the radio.

6 channel recevers.
the F7 rxs have telemetry back to the Tx, so you can see Rx battery Level as well as radio and rx signal strength.
the F6 rxs do not have telemtry.
Full Mixing capabilities on all channels
2 handle buttons for thumb use.
Tx can run on 6aa or up to a 4s Transmitter pack with up to 1800 ft range.

Gyro on the F6GS and F7GS receivers can be turned off or down.

For 80.00 its one hell of a radoi. I would put it up against any 400.00 plus radio.

Drawbacks. cheapy old-school spectrum-looking case. I HATE Spectrum.
But the pentameters and internals seem to be pretty decent quality.
Tx Antenna placement on top is meh. Going to mod mine to move the antenna to the front area so it is more out of the way.
3s Battery Fitting into the battery compartment was tight and required removal of a bit of the Internal molding supports to get the battery I am using in fully. its tight, but it goes in and the battery door slides on and closes as it should.

And the v2 comes with a lanyard as well as a top mount for a camera holder..
this radio has more parameters to adjust than anything out there, which is under the 400.00 range, and probably more than many of the 500.00 radios. My Go to radio used to be JR and then Nomadio Reacts in the late 2000s. Still have my 2 Reacts, but I was impressed with this Radiolink. And the 80.00 pricetag and seemingly nonstolen firmware and software made it an EASY buy. Im using it on my non No Prep rigs, which I am actually using my Reacts with. (no Gyros and Still the Fastest Radios in RC!. lol)

Amazon. Buy from the Direct from Radiolink. Ships from US so you'll have it in days. Free shipping but you do pay the state sales tax of your state. Meh.

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-09-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #19

Another fan of the GT5 here. The steering end point adjustment and subtrim and trim adjustments make it for me. No input on 2 speed or winch or light stuff as I don't run it.

When I upgraded my servo from stock the splines on the upgraded servo made the horn not line up on center. The steering subtrim made it so I could have the truck driving straight without having the trim maxed out to one side or the other, and the end point adjustment got me max steering angles. I know the TQi does this but the GT5 makes it a matter of turning a dial instead of pushing buttons over and over and counting LED flashes.

Plus it is cheap and strong.
borlo is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 Radio Upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio for TRX4/6 Raul_Lopez Electronics 4 05-17-2020 06:29 PM
TRX4 speed upgrade Kereplaz Traxxas TRX-4 16 12-21-2018 02:15 AM
Trx4 motor upgrade. toddtrx4 Newbie General 8 02-28-2018 04:03 AM
New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade?? BCortani Newbie General 36 02-27-2018 12:43 PM