Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: New electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New electronics

Been thinking about upgrading the motor and speed control on my trx4. Its a pretty heavy truck right now at about 13lbs. The stock stuff has held up pretty good so far. But I wanna have a better idea of what works well for crawlers once it decides to crap out on me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
talltee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New electronics

My usual go-to for upgrading a crawler without breaking the bank would be a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 size motor. For a TRX4 I like the 12T motor as it maintains a lot of the wheelspeed if you enjoy that, and it has a great slow crawl when combined with the 1080 ESC.

As far as steering servo goes, a nice and cheap DSservo 25kg from Amazon is hard to beat for the price!

That's just my usual setup, keeps the cost down and I haven't had any problems in the last couple years running that kinda combo. Hope this helps!

Great videos on how to setup the 1080, it's super easy just has lots of options.

https://youtu.be/wyzBoPomUgU

https://youtu.be/BMjtsGJlYVM

Last edited by addiemonster; 05-03-2021 at 09:42 AM.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have 2 different TRX4. A G500 RTR with some brass added on the axles and a chassis kit with a hard body D110 on it, which is super heavy. The G500 has the 1080 and HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T combo and the D110 has an Axe R2 2800kv.

The brushed combo is very decent for the money and a good upgrade over the stock electronics. I have the feeling however that the drag brake is at it's limit with my current rig. Any heavier and it wouldn't cope. The brushless system is more expensive but also much smoother and provides better drag brake even though the rig is much heavier. Of course you get higher top speed, but still have great low speed control.

If it's within youe budget, I'd say go brushless. You'll definitely won't regret it. But the 1080 and HH Sport is a decent choise as well.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiemonster View Post
My usual go-to for upgrading a crawler without breaking the bank would be a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 size motor. For a TRX4 I like the 12T motor as it maintains a lot of the wheelspeed if you enjoy that, and it has a great slow crawl when combined with the 1080 ESC.

As far as steering servo goes, a nice and cheap DSservo 25kg from Amazon is hard to beat for the price!

That's just my usual setup, keeps the cost down and I haven't had any problems in the last couple years running that kinda combo. Hope this helps!

Great videos on how to setup the 1080, it's super easy just has lots of options.

https://youtu.be/wyzBoPomUgU

https://youtu.be/BMjtsGJlYVM
I've looked in to the holmes hobby electronics before. Lots of people say it's great especially for the price and it's definitely budget friendly lol! I should have mentioned that I really want to go brushless if there some good options. But ill definitely keep this setup in mind. I'm currently running a savox sw1211 sg and it's been great for almost a year now. It was a bit pricey but I haven't been let down lol

Old 05-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
I have 2 different TRX4. A G500 RTR with some brass added on the axles and a chassis kit with a hard body D110 on it, which is super heavy. The G500 has the 1080 and HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T combo and the D110 has an Axe R2 2800kv.

The brushed combo is very decent for the money and a good upgrade over the stock electronics. I have the feeling however that the drag brake is at it's limit with my current rig. Any heavier and it wouldn't cope. The brushless system is more expensive but also much smoother and provides better drag brake even though the rig is much heavier. Of course you get higher top speed, but still have great low speed control.

If it's within youe budget, I'd say go brushless. You'll definitely won't regret it. But the 1080 and HH Sport is a decent choise as well.
Brushless is the way I wanna go. I've been mulling over going with a castle set up. But not sure which would be best suited for a crawler. I'm already running a mamba x in my no prep car.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It all depends on your budget. The best cost-effective option is the HW-1080. It is easy to program, has a 3A BEC, and works very well. The Gucci option is the CC Mamba-X with a low-turn motor like the 1900 or 2200kv. This combo is very smooth at the low end, and has excellent power and speed throughout its range. I run these in one of my TRX4s, one of my TRX6s, and in my Capra.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have 3 trx4's. One with a Homes BRXL and a 21t 550 sportsmaster. One with a mamba x and a puller pro 2200kv, and the last with a Mamba micro x and a castle 2800kv slate motor. There all good, just if different ways. The brushed one I dont feel guilty dunking in mud, and creeps just as good as anything else. The one with the puller pro will easily pull wheelies if theres grip, but will still creep along just fine. It also pulls along the track set in the snow just fine in higher low gear.
The castle motor is a little less smooth on the low end than the puller, and down a bit on torque, but still plenty good. In fact, if I didn't have puller pros to compare it to I wouldn't have any complaints.

Out of the 3 the Puller Pro 2200 is the best all around motor IMO, as long as you have a 2 speed. A 2700kv may be a better choice if you have a single speed but still want some wheelspeed.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

New electronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone with a BEC electronics post a picture of electronics please. mkilci Axial SCX10 II 3 01-17-2017 05:42 PM
Electronics Help 0260b4u007 G-Made Crawlers 18 12-05-2011 11:52 AM
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM