Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Pro vs. Ultra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Pro vs. Ultra

Hello partners . I wanted some opinions before spending, since I have doubts and I do not want to screw up that I know myself and I am also a little hesitant.

The differences between one and the other are clear, but I would like to hear opinions about all those who have tried cars with portals, being the center of gravity somewhat higher, I do not know if the PRO will be better.

I have a Blazer Special Edition of RC4WD for Scaleun and I am now looking for a more climber and resistant car, to see what you prefer and if you think it will be just as hard with portals or without them

Thanks to all in advance and greetings from Spain
FREEDOM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Pro vs. Ultra

Well in concept, portals are for ground clearance, not to help climbing.

What’s better or worse is all a matter of application and intent, but if you’re looking for climbing I’d go with a Pro.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

The portals give you an extra 13mm of clearance, but the shocks are 10mm lower so the chassis only sits 3mm higher. I asked that an Harley confirmed on his live build of the Ultra.

What's more important to you - 13mm of added ground clearance or a 3mm lower COG? Also note that the Ultra will have less articulation due to the shorter shocks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Well in concept, portals are for ground clearance, not to help climbing.

What’s better or worse is all a matter of application and intent, but if you’re looking for climbing I’d go with a Pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The portals give you an extra 13mm of clearance, but the shocks are 10mm lower so the chassis only sits 3mm higher. I asked that an Harley confirmed on his live build of the Ultra.

What's more important to you - 13mm of added ground clearance or a 3mm lower COG? Also note that the Ultra will have less articulation due to the shorter shocks.

Thank you very much to the 2 for the answers.

With what you told me, I am more convinced by the PRO

Sometimes with the nerves and desire you do not see things clear, with your comments I have opened my eyes, thank you very much really

"thumb sup"
Old 01-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

In my mind's eye here...

It's still 13mm higher isn't it? If you ran the same 10mm lower shocks with non portal axles, you'd then sit 13mm lower then with the portals wouldn't you?
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
In my mind's eye here...

It's still 13mm higher isn't it? If you ran the same 10mm lower shocks with non portal axles, you'd then sit 13mm lower then with the portals wouldn't you?
These 80mm shocks have me pretty excited. Definitely going to be involved in a future build.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It’s also steering angle between cv portals or universal d44 axles....
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

In my opinion the Pro is the best kit available on the market. The Ultra is neat but isn't as "scale" and portals don't look right under it. The Pro is a beautifully designed, high performing truck that looks great.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
These 80mm shocks have me pretty excited. Definitely going to be involved in a future build.
Agree - I run smaller diameter 1.9s and would love to try them out on my Pro.
TRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
In my mind's eye here...

No because the Pro comes with 90mm shocks. If you put 80mm shocks on the Pro then you could make that comparison, but then the Pro wouldn't be stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
It’s also steering angle between cv portals or universal d44 axles....
Good point. I'm not sure what the difference is, but VP did state the portals have slightly less steering angle.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thank you very much to all for bothering you to respond, it is appreciated that you get involved. With all that I read, I will ask the PRO for sure, and that it fits more to what I am looking for, that of the portals has never convinced me much hehehehhe, to taste the colors !!!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

In my humble opinion, I like the Ultra more than Pro for very good reason . The Ultra should be less torque twist than the pro. But I could be wrong. I hope Jato could chime in and discuss more about the TT.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
In my humble opinion, I like the Ultra more than Pro for very good reason . The Ultra should be less torque twist than the pro. But I could be wrong. I hope Jato could chime in and discuss more about the TT.
I'm not Jato and I don't have the Pro to compare to, but I have my Ultra running and in testing it out in my basement (I have a pile of rocks/boulders to play on) I'm not seeing any sign of torque twist at all. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but it certainly isn't enough to notice so far.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the answers everyone, I already asked for the PRO on Saturday, now waiting
Old 02-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I have 3 portal cars, TRX4, VS4-10 with dig with VP portals, and Capra which is fun but find myself grabbing the other cars first. Also have a SCX10.2 with my axles off the VS4-10 limited kit I put the portals on. It also has a VFD trans with dig modded in it. Great car but I find myself grabbing my Limited with portals a lot. That car is amazing. I think a properly tuned Ultra is going to be very tough to beat. Obviously between the Pro and Ultra there will be advantages both ways. But, portals are tough to beat, with that VFD trans which I think is the best designed trans available, it’s going to be pretty amazing and very capable. Just my thoughts.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote

Pro vs. Ultra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro-line Ultra Shocks Awesome Kong84 Mega/Monster Trucks 1 12-02-2016 09:59 AM
Dlux 2.2 Ultra Pro Chassis & limiting shocks question Digital EnRoute Berg 3 11-30-2015 09:10 AM