Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Phoenix driveshaft shims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #1

Default Phoenix driveshaft shims

Curious if the goal is to eliminate all axial play in/out or if having a smidge of play is ideal? I used two shims on both front and rear axles/driveshafts and there's no play and doesn't feel as though it's binding, so I think it's good - but I can't help second guessing myself that I'm causing undue stress on the gears in axles...this is my first kit that provided that option so I'm unsure how best to approach it.

Thanks!
Ty89m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Phoenix driveshaft shims

So the pinion in relation to the where its mounted should have no in and out play ideally, a tiny bit should be okay though. Where you want a bit of play or slop is between the teeth of the pinion and ring gear.

You can use the shim on the outside of the housing to pull the pinion away from the ring gear or put it on the inside to push it closer to it.

Often these kind of shims can be an optional just in case kind of item.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-20-2022 at 10:38 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
So the pinion in relation to the where its mounted should have no in and out play ideally, a tiny bit should be okay though. Where you want a bit of play or slop is between the teeth of the pinion and ring gear.

You can use the shim on the outside of the housing to pull the pinion away from the ring gear or put it on the inside to push it closer to it.

Often these kind of shims can be an optional just in case kind of item.

Ah, I'd never considered using the shim on inside of housing, I put them on outside. I'm going to run with it! Thanks
Old 05-20-2022, 10:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
Ah, I'd never considered using the shim on inside of housing, I put them on outside. I'm going to run with it! Thanks

I've never ended up shimming from the inside its almost always from the outside, but maybe on something.

When I shim the diff I always check the side to side play in the ring gear as well, VP stuff usually doesnt require or allow for this though. If you do shim here this also gives you the option to move it closer or farther from the pinion.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-20-2022 at 11:02 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've never ended up shimming from the inside its almost always from the outside, but maybe on something.

When I shim the diff I always check the side to side play in the ring gear as well, VP stuff usually doesnt require or allow for this though. If you do shim here this also gives you the option to move it closer or farther from the pinion.

Appreciate the feedback. Ended up using one in front, and two in the rear on the Pro build, and seems about right to me. Rear axle is a smidge less smooth through an entire rotation of the drive shaft, but I'm sure it'll smooth out with some break-in. Front is butter. These machined Currie axles are something else, love 'em.

Phoenix driveshaft shims - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shims? aircooled67 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 03-26-2010 03:03 PM
shims mesooners Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 09-11-2009 10:14 PM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM