Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Which Vanquish wheels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

Default Which Vanquish wheels?

I'm a bit confused on the sizing here. What Vanquish (Method/Incision etc) wheels would I need for the stock Phoenix Pro/Ultra narrow tires? How about for some 1.9 Hyrax?

Those running these wheels, what length hubs did you use? I'm currently running the longer offset plastic hubs that come with the Pro/Phoenix kits, and I'm guessing wider Hyrax would need a hub at least that large.

Thanks!
Ty89m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Which Vanquish wheels?

I run the 1.9 metheod 310 with .350 hubs n hyrax g8 tires. They work perfect together. Cant go wrong with any of the VP wheels, they mount up perfectly, great quality, n look beautiful. A .350 hub is pretty standard size. The hubs that come in the kit are a bit wide imo
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

One thing to note is some of vanquish wheels are .8” wide and some are 1.0” wide. I believe the 105’s tanks and I’m not sure what else are 1” wide.
I personally like the narrower wheel but I do own some 105’s and tanks.
Regardless any of those wheels will mount up to the hyrax tires and most all 1.9” tires.
Like Indy said, .350 is the most standard hub size. .225’s don’t clear everything and above .350 you start gaining some width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:07 PM   #4

Thanks ya'll, I'll get some ordered my Hyrax set. And to confirm, the stock VS4-10 tires use the same .8 and 1.0 inch wheels as the Hyrax would use?
Old 07-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hyrax are about 1/4" wider - 1.76" wide, while the Vanquish tires are 1.5".

Shouldn't be any issue mounting either one to a .8" or 1.0" wheel...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Durok is correct, I’ve mounted stock vxt tires on vp aluminum wheels with zero issues. If you’re asking if the hyrax tires will mount to the stock wheels.. I wouldn’t bother. I’d pick up some eBay wheels or something before I ran the stock wheels. Just my $0.02..

Old 07-14-2022, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Durok is correct, I’ve mounted stock vxt tires on vp aluminum wheels with zero issues. If you’re asking if the hyrax tires will mount to the stock wheels.. I wouldn’t bother. I’d pick up some eBay wheels or something before I ran the stock wheels. Just my $0.02..

Ha, nope, not intending to mount anything to factory wheels. Was just trying to determine if I need to order two different size Vanquish wheels for the Hyrax and stock tires. I actually have some "eBay" machined wheels, perhaps I'll mount the stock tires to those to get a feel for size
Old 07-14-2022, 11:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
Ha, nope, not intending to mount anything to factory wheels. Was just trying to determine if I need to order two different size Vanquish wheels for the Hyrax and stock tires. I actually have some "eBay" machined wheels, perhaps I'll mount the stock tires to those to get a feel for size

Good deal! Those stock wheels are a pain lol
Right on let us know what you come up with

Old 07-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #9

Well I took a little road trip to a shop a few hours from home with the intention of grabbing some wheels and ended up buying another Phoenix (and all the goodies to go with it)... Yikes, that escalated quickly ha! I ordered the new machined gear set for the VFD twin, and my rationale was it would be easier to just build an entirely new kit as opposed to taking apart my existing Phoenix

Anyway, I also grabbed a set of Method 105's and the 350 hubs to try out - also snagged some J-concept Tusks to try as well as the gentleman manning the counter spoke very highly of them. Are the Vanquish wheels worth twice the price of my eBay specials? Time will tell, but I'm sparing no expense on this build so I may as well go with the OG Vanquish wheels.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-17-2022, 06:49 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
my rationale was it would be easier to just build an entirely new kit as opposed to taking apart my existing Phoenix
That logic checks out to me…?

Quote:
Are the Vanquish wheels worth twice the price of my eBay specials?
It’s more like 3-4 times more, and pretty incredible how good of a wheel they can produce at such a low price.

Where I’ve ran into issues with cheap wheels is lack of clarity on sizing, metric hardware and softer aluminum leaving me SOL after swapping several times, and poor fitment on certain hex adapters.

I’ve gone away from buying knock off wheels mostly because (for one, I’m able to) I prefer to support companies who are actually designing new product to support the market. Not just copying someone else’s work and selling as cheap as possible.

twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I Yikes, that escalated quickly ha! I ordered the new machined gear set for the VFD twin, and my rationale was it would be easier to just build an entirely new kit as opposed to taking apart my existing Phoenix

Thanks again for the help!
You said you ordered the new machined gears for the VFD twin. Where did you find those? I can only find machined gears for the original VSD transmission not the twin. Do you have a part number? I just ordered a Pheonix kit today and want to lock down the slipper but only if I get the machined gears.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

RPP has them listed as currently out of stock here:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vps10210.htm
Old 07-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
RPP has them listed as currently out of stock here:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vps10210.htm
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Thanks!

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vfd...case-gear-set/

They appear to have them available still. I've never ordered direct from Vanquish, so no idea how quick they are, but we'll see!
Old 07-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

They appear to have them available still. I've never ordered direct from Vanquish, so no idea how quick they are, but we'll see!
It's been a while, but once upon a time I needed a single Incision Method wheel to use as a spare and I ordered direct, no problems whatsoever...
Old 07-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Also, thanks. 2 day USPS priority shipping. Sorry for the thread highjack.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
One thing to note is some of vanquish wheels are .8” wide and some are 1.0” wide. I believe the 105’s tanks and I’m not sure what else are 1” wide.
I personally like the narrower wheel but I do own some 105’s and tanks.
Regardless any of those wheels will mount up to the hyrax tires and most all 1.9” tires.
Like Indy said, .350 is the most standard hub size. .225’s don’t clear everything and above .350 you start gaining some width.

This is where personal prefence comes into play, I personally will not run the .800 wheels I only run the 1". I had one set of .800 wheels and ran them for one outing and tossed them in the spare parts box never to be used again. So there is really no wrong answer when it comes to wheel selection. What works for you is the correct choice/
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Default Which Vanquish wheels?

I am running these on my kit when I get it. They are .8” wide and I attempted to mount some proline TSL’s and couldn’t get them to squeeze down the proline bead. Not sure if the Hyraxes have such a bead but something to look out for.

These Axial tires mounted up flawlessly.

Last edited by JDM74; 07-21-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:11 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
This is where personal prefence comes into play, I personally will not run the .800 wheels I only run the 1". I had one set of .800 wheels and ran them for one outing and tossed them in the spare parts box never to be used again. So there is really no wrong answer when it comes to wheel selection. What works for you is the correct choice/

I didn’t say one was right or wrong, I stated that I prefer the narrow wheels but I own some of the wider ones also. It’s all personal preference. I didn’t know that originally when looking at vp wheels so just putting that info out there.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
I didn’t say one was right or wrong, I stated that I prefer the narrow wheels but I own some of the wider ones also. It’s all personal preference. I didn’t know that originally when looking at vp wheels so just putting that info out there.

Never said you did say one was right or wrong. I said the same thing, this is a personal preference. Only YOU can decide which to buy.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote