Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Installing trans into Phoenix chassis, can't align

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Installing trans into Phoenix chassis, can't align

Hi all, I finally got my tranny together without much trouble. But when I went to put it into the chassis, I can't get the bottom hole in the skid plate to line up with the bottom hole of the motor plate.

The only way to get it to line up is to push down on the motor slightly, which seems to straighten up the motor plate and get the holes to align, but then the back end of the motor looks slightly crooked compared to the chassis and trans case. I was very careful to tighten everything in a cross pattern and just can't see why the holes aren't matching up.

I'm afraid if I run it this way I'm going to mess up some gears.

Not sure if this is clear, the back of the motor just seems slightly crooked after aligning the bottom holes and tightening it all down. The frame rail is at the bottom:

Thanks for looking.
BLUJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Installing trans into Phoenix chassis, can't align

This is a tricky part of the assembly. I had luck leaving all the screws loose until I was able to get a few threads of each to grab. Once each screw had some purchase I tightened them all down in a caddy-corner manner, sort of like tightening lugs on a wheel. The hardest for me was the one up front that also goes into the transmission cover.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
This is a tricky part of the assembly. I had luck leaving all the screws loose until I was able to get a few threads of each to grab. Once each screw had some purchase I tightened them all down in a caddy-corner manner, sort of like tightening lugs on a wheel. The hardest for me was the one up front that also goes into the transmission cover.
Thanks for the reply. This is pretty much what I did, multiple times. But the bottom skid plate/cover plate holes are so out of alignment there's no way to get that screw in properly. Even with everything loose, it goes in very crooked.

I've had a couple of other issues like this, seems like the tolerances are almost too tight and some of the plastic pieces didn't fit together properly. I guess I'll try again after I take a break to avoid frustration.

I was worried about putting the trans together, but that wasn't nearly as difficult as this

Last edited by BLUJEEP; 03-13-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Take the screws from the top out. Start that one in the bottom first. Leave it loose, then get your top side screws in tightening each up a turn or two at a time until tight and then tighten the bottom one up.

I had the same fitment issue with the bottom screw, but done as I described it was pretty easy.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
Take the screws from the top out. Start that one in the bottom first. Leave it loose, then get your top side screws in tightening each up a turn or two at a time until tight and then tighten the bottom one up.

I had the same fitment issue with the bottom screw, but done as I described it was pretty easy.
Thanks, I did this and it seemed to work as far as getting the bottom holes aligned and screw started straight. But after tightening everything down slowly, as described, the bottom holes get pulled out of alignment again, which, with the screw installed, pulls the motor down and it sits crooked. Not sure if it will cause a problem, but it just doesn't seem right.

I'm done for today. Between this and a couple of other issues, plus some unclear manual steps, I'm a little frustrated with this kit right now.

Last edited by BLUJEEP; 03-13-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Had the same problem in both my portal and straight axle. I'm leaving the screw out. Using the screw will bind the motor/tranny. Just leave it out.
Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

And if you insist on using it, I would widen the hole carefully so the hole in the skid matches the motor plate and use a washer if needed after installing motor/tranny. But I would just leave it out.

Last edited by Steven McKay; 03-13-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you do widen the hole install the skid screw LAST. Use a thin washer and you may have to use a different screw.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
Had the same problem in both my portal and straight axle. I'm leaving the screw out. Using the screw will bind the motor/tranny. Just leave it out.
Thanks, good to know I'm not going crazy and it's actually a thing. I also thought about leaving the screw out, but I have the plastic motor plate and it can definitely flex, so maybe enlarging the hole might be better I don't know.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUJEEP View Post
Thanks, good to know I'm not going crazy and it's actually a thing. I also thought about leaving the screw out, but I have the plastic motor plate and it can definitely flex, so maybe enlarging the hole might be better I don't know.
My Phoenix portal has a plastic motor plate and she be rolling just fine. BLUJEEP I sent you a PM

Last edited by Steven McKay; 03-13-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:35 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I think that's just the way they are. There was mention of it on YouTube from Blind Guy RC
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

It wont hurt to leave that screw out BLU. My portal phoenix is in a gspeed chassis with a vader skid n plastic motor plate. As i mentioned before, i run 4s only in it n have yet to have any issues. Itll backflip off trees n rocks n its taken a 60 ft drop off a cliff, n comes back for more. Just pretend that screw doesnt exsist brother
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Heres a couple picks of mine. Gspeed v3 blue cf chassis, gspeed servo mounts, nsdrc micro servos with nsdrc micro servo apdater plates, mamba x with slate 2850kv motor,HH shv500v2 servo

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2023, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
I think that's just the way they are. There was mention of it on YouTube from Blind Guy RC
Okay, thanks. I was worried I did something wrong when putting the chassis together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
It wont hurt to leave that screw out BLU. My portal phoenix is in a gspeed chassis with a vader skid n plastic motor plate. As i mentioned before, i run 4s only in it n have yet to have any issues. Itll backflip off trees n rocks n its taken a 60 ft drop off a cliff, n comes back for more. Just pretend that screw doesnt exsist brother
Wow, I'd call that a seal of approval. Thanks for the info! I'm putting it out of my mind and moving on.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Lol, no problem BLU, glad i could help
Old 03-13-2023, 09:43 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quick question to those seasoned Vanquish owners...once it's installed and all the screws are set and tightened accordingly, does it make it easier moving forward when doing motor swaps or pinion gear changes?
Old 03-13-2023, 09:59 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quick question to those seasoned Vanquish owners...once it's installed and all the screws are set and tightened accordingly, does it make it easier moving forward when doing motor swaps or pinion gear changes?
No, you'll have to pull the motor/tranny out. If you could remove or slide the cover over you might have a chance at the pinon but I don't think you can even do that.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:11 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

To get the motor/tranny out you'll need to remove the battery tray which means disconnecting the dig and possibly the od servo mount or at least disconnecting it too. Maybe something else I'm missing besides drive shafts. You might be able to work around not removing the shafts but it would be a pita.

Last edited by Steven McKay; 03-13-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
No, you'll have to pull the motor/tranny out. If you could remove or slide the cover over you might have a chance at the pinon but I don't think you can even do that.

Oh of course. What I meant to say is does it make it easier to reinstall after having to fiddle with lining up the screws during the initial install/build.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh of course. What I meant to say is does it make it easier to reinstall after having to fiddle with lining up the screws during the initial install/build.
No, the only thing that makes it easier is having installed it before and having that experience.

Installing trans into Phoenix chassis, can't align - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help installing R2D into SW3 Chassis patrick21x General Crawlers 5 01-09-2008 06:20 PM
Building/Installing Benders Chassis Xtreme RC Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 01-02-2006 05:55 AM