Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Boom Racing Extra wide wheel fitment for Portal Phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2023, 07:38 AM   #1

Default Boom Racing Extra wide wheel fitment for Portal Phoenix

Hi all,

Building up my portal kit at the moment and am looking to get some Boom racing extra wide adjustable offset wheels shortly. Has anyone fitted these to their portal kit? Would I need different wheel hexes to avoid having to drill the boom hubs to fit the step or are using VP SLW hubs the better option?

The VP wheel fitment compatability of non VP wheels is something I'm still getting my head around. I'm UK based so Boom and VP wheel products need to be bought from abroad, we do have SSD here so that's another fitment I would be interested in if anyone has tried them.
NE4_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2023, 07:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Boom Racing Extra wide wheel fitment for Portal Phoenix

Axial used 2 kinds of 12mm hex hubs on their kits for some odd reason ...pick a lane Axial!

Initially the stepped hubs were on 2.2's (for better engagement) and flat face on 1.9, but things have kinda bled over. Several in the industry have adopted them now and it's a free for all really. If you want to google them to see the difference, Axial AX30429 is the stepped version, and AX30427 is the flat face version. I'm not sure why Axial took a standard in the industry and monkeyed with it, but it is what it is at this point.

General Rule of thumb - Wheels that are designed for stepped hexes work with any 12mm hub, stepped or not. Wheels that are designed for flat faced hubs will only work with flat face hubs.

SO...The Origin kit uses stepped hexes on the axles and the Boom Racing wheels need flat faced 12mm hexes so you'll need to source a set of flat face 12mm hexes. Pretty much any will work, they don't need to be Axial, VP, etc and they are not usually too expensive. As long as they are 12mm, they are good to go.

SSD wheels will work fine with the stepped hubs as is, they are 1.9's but have adopted the stepped hex design for all their wheels.

VP's SLW hubs are not needed. They are an intermediate between the hex hub and the wheel, and can be swapped out to change the wheel's offset.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by OSRC; 05-29-2023 at 07:26 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #3

Thanks that really helps clear things up.

The only other query then is regarding the larger 5 mm shaft size of the Phoenix kit vs the typical 4 mm, guess I just need to check that any hex I buy are drilled for the larger diameter.
NE4_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Or just file/grind the steps off the hex hubs.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Boom Racing Extra wide wheel fitment for Portal Phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boom Racing TE37XD fitment mass-hole Traxxas TRX-4 2 02-03-2021 02:46 AM
Portal Covers and Wheel Fitment? common rock crawler Axial Capra 6 04-08-2020 04:10 PM
Boom Racing Xtra Wide Krait!!!! Frank211 Tires and Wheels 7 09-06-2019 07:17 PM