Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Phoenix play in transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 07:26 PM   #1

Default Phoenix play in transmission

Hi all, I’ve been driving my Phoenix lately and noticed there is quite a bit of play in the transmission.

When driving over obstacles the truck will hesitate after the front or back wheels clear them. Like the transmission and motor have to catch up to the wheels, if that makes any sense. This makes scale driving not so scale looking.

When the truck is off and I push it back and forth by hand, the wheels roll a fair bit before the transmission and motor catches. It is more pronounced than on my SCX10 II, which seems tight by comparison.

Is this just a normal thing with the vfd2 transmission? FYI, I don’t have any overdrive or dig servos installed and the overdrive lever is set to the smaller ratio.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLUJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2023, 07:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Phoenix play in transmission

It sounds similar to mine, it's a combination of the backlash between all the great in the transmission, the play in the driveshafts (usually a lot) the axles both in ring and pinion (portals of equipt and the axle shafts to the lockers. As you drive more and more it's gets a bit more. My most used and best on phoenix has about 1/3 to 1/2 tire rotation of play in everything.
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, so it’s normal then.

That’s a little surprising because I noticed how well the ring and pinion fit together when building the axles. No play, no shimming needed and they turn very smooth. I assumed the trans would be the same and it all went together very nicely.

The axles and driveshafts seem fine, and most of the play is at the trans outputs. I wonder how the regular VFD transmission is in comparison here. Seems like the switching mechanisms could contribute to this. I don’t really have a need for dig or overdrive switching.

It’s a stupid concern I know. I was going to put a hard body on the chassis for more realism, and It’s such a good layout to use for interiors with the motor/trans position.

My bad driving probably doesn’t help, lol. It is what it is I guess.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Its a valid concern, I know on all 3 of mine the rear output has a good amount of rotation and I think its a combination of all the gears and like you said the OD and Dig gears, shafts, and selectors.

The Phoenix is a really good platform for hardbody builds, I have done 4 of them and it will likely be my go to platform for them for the considerable future.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #5

Cool, thanks! Good to know. I’d like to try the non-selectable trans someday just to see if it’s different. Otherwise the Phoenix has been great.

Do you have any hard body build threads here? Interested to see how you mounted stuff.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUJEEP View Post
Cool, thanks! Good to know. I’d like to try the non-selectable trans someday just to see if it’s different. Otherwise the Phoenix has been great.

Do you have any hard body build threads here? Interested to see how you mounted stuff.

Yes, I have one for all my Vanquish trucks, Its under Wyatt Journey of Phoenix in the vanquish section. I some detail on all 4 but I am more than happy to snap some photos of any of the trucks if you have one body you wanna see. I also have most hardbodies so if you want one set on top of the chassis and ideas let me know.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #7

Thanks! I’ll check out that thread. I was thinking of putting my XJ on the Vanquish. It’s on an SCX10-II now. Not sure yet.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUJEEP View Post
Thanks! I’ll check out that thread. I was thinking of putting my XJ on the Vanquish. It’s on an SCX10-II now. Not sure yet.

I have a Comanche Body on one of mine Currently, so the front mounting would be very similar, I designed up a 3d printed mount to keep the front hinge. THen I have 2 bolt in the bed that go into some Brass PCB Stand offs mounted on the fuel Cell.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:29 AM   #9

Looks great! I’d like to see your hinge mount, that’s a great idea. I designed and printed a rear hinge mount for my SCX10-II but it won’t fit the vanquish chassis.

Did you remove the stock inner fenders? After test fitting the Cherokee body I can’t get it low enough in the front.

Phoenix play in transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Panther & The Phoenix: Who needs 'Cat & Mouse', when the Black Cat can play with a bird Panther6834 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 31 08-19-2022 07:39 PM
Lots of transmission/spur play!? Haziza Axial SCX10 II 76 12-05-2016 07:17 AM
Play between front and rear outputs on transmission? cizardev Vaterra Ascender 14 01-28-2016 10:04 AM
TF2 transmission slop/play Expat Crawler RC4WD Trail Finder 2 11 04-03-2014 01:43 PM