Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: First vanquish suggestion please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2024, 02:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First vanquish suggestion please

Hi, recently trying to get back into the hobby after a long rest period. I started and still own axial wraith I built from a kit as well as lost mrc pro roller.

I would like to get either a VRD carbon or phoenix portal kit. I totally understand they seem to be at both end of the spectrum. I don't comp and I am not a scale person though I enjoy looking and marvel at someone's build. I normally take my rig with me on walks and crawl what ever I find during the walk. I rarely drive somewhere just to crawl. I have watched a lot of YouTube on both and well... the carbon is like super duper and phoenix is porky! Basically I want a rig that crawls really well and able to handle long trailing walks...

for carbon, do I need to do anything to tame the overdrive to save the drivetrain for long trailing yet still good enough to crawl well?

for phoenix, I will attempted to get it as vrd carbon crawl as possible right from the start. Meaning, I will do the SOA/4 link front or even stubby kit and SBA right from the start if they are possible and build on after market chassis. I assume the skid is same hole pattern as vrd carbon and I can use vrd compatible after market chassis? I strongly consider phoenix due to the twin trans as I never experience one before. I know there will be weight penalty compared to carbon.

this is getting too long. very sorry. been out of the game for a long time and attempting to learn what's compatible with what...etc.

TLDR: vrd carbon -has concern if it can trail for long time... phoenix - not "comp" enough stock and willing build as comp as possible right from the box if possible.

thanks for any/all inputs/suggestions.
dirtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2024, 06:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: First vanquish suggestion please

The Phoenix is pretty capable for a trail rig, especially with a little tweaking and a lighter body, but if your plan with a Phoenix already involves swapping chassis and doing a servo on axle, I'd just go with the Carbon kit. It would definitely save you some $$. If you were set on using the VFD twin transmission, there are some capable chassis out there for the Phoenix. Zoku is highly regarded and Rock Pirates chassis are too.

If using the VRD I think 37% OD might be a bit much for trailing. I like to have 10-20% on a trail rig but that is personal preference. To tame that down you could just swap the front and rear portal gears to end up with ~5% OD, which would almost be unnoticeable, or put OD gears in the rear portals, which would put OD at 21%. Not sure if a stubby kit with an outrunner is a great choice for a strictly trail rig due to the amount of dirt/dust/water it could see and the exposed position that it is in.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thank you for your insight. everything you said make sense. Do you know if the twin and carbon transmission use the same bolt pattern? both the mounting on skid as well attaching to rail? I am wondering if they are interchangable (dig/2 speed servo mounting aside). I am still 50/50 on either. I am trying to learn what is compatible and what is not. There seems to be aftermarket chassis for vrd carbon as well.

thanks
Old 03-29-2024, 06:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

VP has four different skids, the origin 3 gear style skid, the pro/ultra/fordyce standard vfd skid, the Phoenix vfd twin skid, and the VRD skid.

All but the VRD skid are interchangeable in the chassis, any version of the standard vfd (pro, ultra/fordyce/vrd stance, or vrd carbon) will fit in any skid except the origin 3 gear skid or the twin skid.

Twin has different mounting points than a regular vfd, and the vrd skid has slightly different mounting points to the chassis.

My personal opinion is I’d rather use a VRD carbon than a phoenix as a base.

If a Fordyce was an option, then I might choose that first for convenience.

Ultimately what I ended up doing is building a Fordyce with vrd carbon axles and transmission, so I got best of both worlds.

You can swap the portal gears front to rear on the vrd and with the transmission gears you still end up around 5% o/d I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post

Having build a Carbon, and tinkered with the Fordyce. I completely agree with you on this.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

VRD Carbon kit, knock the OD down as mentioned above, run the Hobbywing Fusion Pro 2300. It's an excellent setup.

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:31 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
VP has four different skids, the origin 3 gear style skid, the pro/ultra/fordyce standard vfd skid, the Phoenix vfd twin skid, and the VRD skid.

All but the VRD skid are interchangeable in the chassis, any version of the standard vfd (pro, ultra/fordyce/vrd stance, or vrd carbon) will fit in any skid except the origin 3 gear skid or the twin skid.

Twin has different mounting points than a regular vfd, and the vrd skid has slightly different mounting points to the chassis.

Ultimately what I ended up doing is building a Fordyce with vrd carbon axles and transmission, so I got best of both worlds.

You can swap the portal gears front to rear on the vrd and with the transmission gears you still end up around 5% o/d I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezel666 View Post
Having build a Carbon, and tinkered with the Fordyce. I completely agree with you on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
VRD Carbon kit, knock the OD down as mentioned above, run the Hobbywing Fusion Pro 2300. It's an excellent setup.

s
I agree with all of the above. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:43 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sorry for the late response... got busy all the sudden. I will look for a carbon kit when it goes on sale and go from there. Thank you all for your input and info.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:21 AM   #9

Did you post the same question on Facebook? If so, I responded there as well.

The Phoenix is cool, but with the stock body and setup it isn't going to be that capable. It is also overly complicated IMO. It is also unfortunately RTR.

I'd suggest the Carbon because you get to build it, the performance will be much better and it can also be run as a trail rig.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:36 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thank you @jato for the response. I am not on Facebook so that's not me. As for Phoenix, I would be getting the portal kit as I would like a portal rig...
Old 04-16-2024, 12:07 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I think you’d be surprised what the stock vs4-10 chassis is capable of. Especially if you swap out the shock towers. I built my version of a “phoenix” using f10 portals and the transmission from a pro with all the machined goodies and 21% overdrive. Then [mention]twade984 [/mention] had some carbon fiber shock towers cut out and I mounted those up. Swapped the phoenix body for the proline coyote and the truck is a killer. It’s got a fusion pro 2300kv in it now also. But everyone’s made some good points

Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote

First vanquish suggestion please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!! Oscar da Grouch Comments, Suggestions, and Help 25 12-21-2014 08:12 PM
Need a suggestion... DeaDShorT Chit Chat 16 09-21-2009 10:44 PM
Suggestion need it jmizoguchi Newbie General 2 09-25-2007 08:39 PM
Suggestion Unholy Chit Chat 4 02-13-2007 04:09 PM