Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

Thumbs up For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!!

I too run a large forum for 1:1 stuff and i know first hand its not cheap.

Color me the new guy but im going to give you my perspective on this from the outside looking in.

1. you are doing the members and vendors a huge disservice.

Im new here.
I haven't decided if this forum is worth 20 bucks to me. And being new to the hobby I have zero useful posts to add.
Making me wait 30 days and figure out where i can post and have it increase my post count plus the condescending tone of this thread has me questioning if this is the type of online community I want to be part of.
The disservice you are doing to your members is that new people like me may want to buy some stuff. I have a huge cart of stuff on amazon and ebay. Came here looking to see if i could find some of the things on my wish list a little cheaper. in 30 days i will have all the stuff i wanted and not need your sale section. So now the members who have put in the time and made this forum great have lost a large customer base. They in turn would have probably bought the new hotness they wanted with the money from one of your sponsoring vendors.

2. I understand you dont want a bunch of noobs coming here just to sell stuff. but what about buying? you are punishing all those people that have determined that a star is worth buying or did their time and got their posts buy not allowing their for sale items to be seen buy these new members.

i propose a change. 30 days and 30 posts to sell. with out that no posting in the forsale section. its visible and pms can be sent to sellers.

3. the tone of this thread. which i read by the way is incredibly aggressive and demeaning to anyone who asks why. this alone has me questioning if i should buy a star. frankly the only reason im even posting this is cause i really dont care about anyone here. I havent made any friends that i care to talk to and i cant use the sale section so its no sweat off my brow to take my questions and money elsewhere. I full expect to get flamed by both the admin and the community and maybe even catch a ban for speaking out against a rule.

4. in order for most people to shell out money for something you have to establish value. the concept of purchasing the ability to see whats for sale is asinine. imagine if ebay made you pay to register just to see whats for sale?

Remember im the new guy here but have been doing forum stuff for years.

Last edited by Oscar da Grouch; 11-20-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Oscar da Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!!

There is more value to this forum than the for sale section.

If you don't like it don't pay the $20.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar da Grouch View Post
i propose a change. 30 days and 30 posts to sell. with out that no posting in the forsale section. its visible and pms can be sent to sellers.
I get where you are going with that suggestion, and it isnt a bad one, however, those rules are in place to keep the members here from getting ripped off. Buyers can rip people off just as easily as sellers.

Over the past 10 years, I have had zero difficulty selling the items I had posted.....

Last edited by JeremyH; 11-20-2014 at 08:37 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

rcc's bst section is a reward for being a contributing member to the site. i very much like that its somewhat discouraging to random dudes only wanting to cherry pick good deals.

if paying for a star or taking the time to get the proper amount of quality posts isnt to your liking, you got ebay, rcu, various facebook groups, amazon, rpp, rcp, rc4wd, supershafty, tcs, ckrc, etc...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The "value" you cry for is the content posted, man up and pay the 20 bucks its well worth it
MCW24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

Not seeing it. I've gotten very little use out.of this so far. More smartass and misinformation than helpful.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not seeing it. I've gotten very little use out.of this so far. More smartass and misinformation than helpful.

then delete your account and go back to your 1:1 site
MCW24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

HEY LOOK!! Just 4 more days and 6 more posts!!!! Good luck!

----
11-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Oscar da Grouch

----

Just take the time and look around and note that there are more threads with a TON more information than the list of 'requests' for opening the Classifieds for whatever random incoherent reason that is being presented by a noob. This site does not give the impression of if you're IN, then you are IN and if you're not, then screw you type of vibe. There are some threads like that in any forum anywhere.

So if you choose to be "IN", then welcome,.....if you choose NOT to be "IN", then welcome and enjoy some free information from a very active community.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
RcBros Hobbies

I'm bored at work, so I'm going to bite.

Quote:
I too run a large forum for 1:1 stuff and i know first hand its not cheap.
Then you should understand that the people who interact on a forum count as active members not the ones who browse the for sale adds. Those who post and interact with members are what keep a forum alive and growing. Not the for sale section.

Quote:
Being new to the hobby I have zero useful posts to add.
So sit back and gain some knowledge and learn what makes this community the #1 crawling community on the internet. Sometimes you have to learn from the best instead of thinking your the best.

Quote:
Making me wait 30 days and figure out where i can post and have it increase my post count plus the condescending tone of this
Again, RCC is wanting active members. Not sale section members.

Quote:
thread has me questioning if this is the type of online community I want to be part of.
No one here is begging you to stay. But a majority of those posting understand why it is they contribue to this amazing forum.

Quote:
The disservice you are doing to your members is that new people like me may want to buy some stuff. I have a huge cart of stuff on amazon and ebay. Came here looking to see if i could find some of the things on my wish list a little cheaper. in 30 days i will have all the stuff i wanted and not need your sale section. So now the members who have put in the time and made this forum great have lost a large customer base. They in turn would have probably bought the new hotness they wanted with the money from one of your sponsoring vendors.
I haven't sold or bought on ebay for RC related items in over 5 years. Trust me when I say, good luck on ebay because you are likely over paying. I have however sold on RCC 100's of times and the stuff sells fast. No ebay fee's either Sure worth my $20 in ebay fee's i've saved.

Quote:
2. I understand you dont want a bunch of noobs coming here just to sell stuff. but what about buying? you are punishing all those people that have determined that a star is worth buying or did their time and got their posts buy not allowing their for sale items to be seen buy these new members.
The star is not just for selling and buying. If you havent seen the HUGE RCC 12 Days of XMAS banner up top, I'd say take a look. If that isn't worth $20 along with the other star benefits then you sir have completly missed the picture of $20's worth. I'm part of 1:1 communities just as big and bigger then this site, not a single one has vendor participation like this site. Sometimes you need to educate yourself before jumping on that soap box.

Quote:
3. the tone of this thread. which i read by the way is incredibly aggressive and demeaning to anyone who asks why. this alone has me questioning if i should buy a star. frankly the only reason im even posting this is cause i really dont care about anyone here. I havent made any friends that i care to talk to and i cant use the sale section so its no sweat off my brow to take my questions and money elsewhere. I full expect to get flamed by both the admin and the community and maybe even catch a ban for speaking out against a rule.
Speaking out and ignorance are two different things.

Quote:
4. in order for most people to shell out money for something you have to establish value. the concept of purchasing the ability to see whats for sale is asinine. imagine if ebay made you pay to register just to see whats for sale?

Remember im the new guy here but have been doing forum stuff for years.
Again, if you can't see the value. Then don't spend the money. However, once you start wanting to learn some things about crawlers and get some proper education. You will come back, and i know you'll see its worth it.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm big into 1:1.. I go to Moab almost every other month.... I'm on local forums like RME4x4.com for that, and Stuntride.com for stunt things. THIS is the only forum I care to be a part of any more. Yes, I agree that there is some hostility in the air here(Only if you take it that way), but what other forum has this kind of activity still? After facebook came out, most forums died. Now everyone on facebook is an expert....

The reason I stick around here and gladly pay my 20 bucks is nothing to do with for sale sections or even winning prizes(which are givin away all year, not just Christmas). I like paying an hour's worth of wages for something I personally love. Come on, it's 20 bucks...If you were to get out with your local crawler groups, you'd find that most of them are probably on here as well, just may not post. Tons of people hardly post. There is so much info here. And the love of Rc's is enough for me to throw the 20 a year down.
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Testy bunch on here. Ill say it again. I haven't seen value yet. Maybe I will maybe I won't. I'm a member of 20ish jeep forums. Only 2-3 are worth the time. Took awhile to figure out which ones were any good. The negative attitude some of you are displaying towards a new guy with a concern doesn't really scream worth it. Just like guns and jeep forums some fit people personality better than others. This place isn't fitting my needs but it might. I'm giving it a chance.

To the brilliant individuals who told me to leave if I dont like it. I hope you enjoy displaying your inability to conjure cognitive thought and turn that into a meaningful debate with out degrading yourself by fling personal attacks. If that was above your intelligence level allow me to dumb it down for you. You're stupid. **** off
Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I would pay the 20.00 I can tell you will fit right in

Honestly though the things I have picked up at great prices in the classifieds have more than made up for the fee, even if you don't feel comfortable participating in the threads it really is worth it.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

To be honest, I felt the exact same way when I joined. (Or rather came back after joining but had zero posts). I had nothing productive to add to most threads. The idea of making 30 useful posts seemed quite daunting. I made the attempt, but most got deleted and I got called out as a "post whore."
I was pissed at first. How am I supposed to post anything useful if I haven't been able to build up, test and and upgrade a rig to gain the knowledge to contribute to threads. Access to the for sale section could have aided me in buying and upgrading my rig to gain knowledge and experience.
After thinking about it, I decided to buy a star. This site has tons of info, which I know is free already, but i figured supporting such a site would be beneficial to me in the long run and I knew in wasn't going to have much useful input any time soon.
The recent vendor sponsored giveaways, plus acess to the constantly updated classifieds has certainly been worth while. Glad I decided to buy a star. The friendly and helpful people here far outweigh the negative and down-talking people.
flifisher312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I too had nothing to post so a year was spent lurking for the most part, then joined when no one else had experience with an obscure piece. Enjoy the hobby and participate when you can. Its just stuff you're looking to buy right now, that stuff shouldn't alter your perception of a forum based on knowledge.

The rules that are in place in the for sale section seem fine. I'd hate getting random pm's from random buyers asking me to hold an item, trying to lowball because they have nothing to lose and/or don't care because they have no vested interest in the site.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #15
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Testy bunch on here. Ill say it again. I haven't seen value yet. Maybe I will maybe I won't. I'm a member of 20ish jeep forums. Only 2-3 are worth the time. Took awhile to figure out which ones were any good. The negative attitude some of you are displaying towards a new guy with a concern doesn't really scream worth it. Just like guns and jeep forums some fit people personality better than others. This place isn't fitting my needs but it might. I'm giving it a chance.

To the brilliant individuals who told me to leave if I dont like it. I hope you enjoy displaying your inability to conjure cognitive thought and turn that into a meaningful debate with out degrading yourself by fling personal attacks. If that was above your intelligence level allow me to dumb it down for you. You're stupid. **** off
For starters I never understood how people feel that they can't be part of this RC community without seeing the for sale section... That makes no sense to me...There are tons of places to purchase parts from at a discount. This isn't ebay, it's not a site meant for selling only. We are a community of people who enjoy building toy trucks and share builds, tips/tricks, pictures, information etc to grow the hobby and expand it from where it currently is. How you can say you have nothing to contribute boggles my mind...honestly it shows me you don't have a real passion for this new hobby yet. There is plenty of ways to contribute and become involved without being a post whore with posts like "cool truck". You can ask any number of technical questions relating to someone's build from something as simple as to what power plant they are running to what color paint they used. It's honestly not that hard to contribute some and be involved...if you can't do the bare minimal then I guess it is what it is...buy the star or I guess dont? I can tell you now MANY if not almost all the popular crawling and scale trucks forums all have there classifieds blocked out to new people. Why? Because we don't want our senior or supporting members being scammed... There are a lot of scum bags out there and PayPal cant always get your money back.

Lastly, as you can see I sport a red star...I am moderator here and this post I quoted of yours, the way it ends...no good. I'm not gonna allow that crap again. I should give you an infraction for it but I feel like that might be your breaking point and I'd rather see you become an active member, paid subscription or not, but if you continue to insult the members because your butt hurt because someone told you to leave if you don't like it you will be joining the band...pretty simple. We have rules here and all members will follow them. It's the Internet and I can tell you now we will ruffle each others feathers here...we are community of people, many who know one another and compete with each other around the country and we occasionally bust each others balls. I am going to assume your not a member of pirate ? Regardless, while we appreciate your concern for the classifieds it's unlikely to be changed any time soon so it's either become a supporting member or just be an active one...your choice

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
For starters I never understood how people feel that they can't be part of this RC community without seeing the for sale section... That makes no sense to me...

It doesn't make sense to anyone but him I guess.

The biggest thing to remember is the classifieds are set up to avoid people being ripped off. This is a hobby chock full of people of all ages. The adults are generally trustworthy but the youngsters are still learning how things work. Sometimes they make the mistake of ripping people off thinking that the anonymity of the internet will keep them safe from reprisal and put a few bucks in their pocket. The simple rules for participating in the classifieds keep the scammers at bay since they are generally lazy and just looking for a quick buck. Google "Charlie Wenzel" if you need a fine example.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

When I first came to this site I was more interested in the for sale section and what not. I did my time and earned the right to sell my stuff. I thought it was ridiculous at the time, but those are and were the rules. After finally getting into the for sale section it was just another forum section to look at. I use this site constantly for information of things I'm trying to figure out or get opinions on. To me it is a vast forum of information, both good and horribly bad lol, but it is there for the taking for free. As far as the paying $20 to get a star, I was a cheap ass and couldn't afford it or just never thought it was that important. The only reason I HAVE A STAR IS BECAUSE I WON IT ON A NON STAR HOLDING MEMBER GIVEAWAY FROM THE CHOP SHOP ALMOST A YEAR AGO. I probably still wouldn't have a star if it wasn't for that vendor that chose to give away a year membership. I am glad to say I'm part of this community. And yes it is full of assholes, know it all douches, and annoying newbs(like we all once were). I bet your forum is that exact same way if not worse.

Last edited by ssdub33; 12-17-2014 at 01:58 AM.
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
For starters I never understood how people feel that they can't be part of this RC community without seeing the for sale section... That makes no sense to me...There are tons of places to purchase parts from at a discount. This isn't ebay, it's not a site meant for selling only. We are a community of people who enjoy building toy trucks and share builds, tips/tricks, pictures, information etc to grow the hobby and expand it from where it currently is. How you can say you have nothing to contribute boggles my mind...honestly it shows me you don't have a real passion for this new hobby yet. There is plenty of ways to contribute and become involved without being a post whore with posts like "cool truck". You can ask any number of technical questions relating to someone's build from something as simple as to what power plant they are running to what color paint they used. It's honestly not that hard to contribute some and be involved...if you can't do the bare minimal then I guess it is what it is...buy the star or I guess dont? I can tell you now MANY if not almost all the popular crawling and scale trucks forums all have there classifieds blocked out to new people. Why? Because we don't want our senior or supporting members being scammed... There are a lot of scum bags out there and PayPal cant always get your money back.

Lastly, as you can see I sport a red star...I am moderator here and this post I quoted of yours, the way it ends...no good. I'm not gonna allow that crap again. I should give you an infraction for it but I feel like that might be your breaking point and I'd rather see you become an active member, paid subscription or not, but if you continue to insult the members because your butt hurt because someone told you to leave if you don't like it you will be joining the band...pretty simple. We have rules here and all members will follow them. It's the Internet and I can tell you now we will ruffle each others feathers here...we are community of people, many who know one another and compete with each other around the country and we occasionally bust each others balls. I am going to assume your not a member of pirate ? Regardless, while we appreciate your concern for the classifieds it's unlikely to be changed any time soon so it's either become a supporting member or just be an active one...your choice

-Mike
My apologies Mr bruiser. And your right. Had I received an infraction for reciprocating the same treatment I've been receiving I'd probably have left.

Couple valid points in the last few posts. I guess I'm probably more akin to dealing with stuff only adults can own. The thought of children never crossed my mind.

Yes I am a memeber of pirate. Few posts great sale section that I've bought vehicles off of not to mention other things. I deal with jks and wjs and I get more use out of JKO and JeepForum for that. Both of which I'm a supporting member of. Jko helped me immensely with a couple projects that weren't bolt on. And with a spattering of smartass I found the information and got the help I needed. Here I still haven't got the answers to a question I asked. Nothing but bullshit from smartasses. Granted tapatalk screweed up and miss appropriated it but still. No one moved it and all i got was flack. Pirate is a bunch of jerks at times. But in the end they still help
Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #19
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
My apologies Mr bruiser. And your right. Had I received an infraction for reciprocating the same treatment I've been receiving I'd probably have left.

Couple valid points in the last few posts. I guess I'm probably more akin to dealing with stuff only adults can own. The thought of children never crossed my mind.

Yes I am a memeber of pirate. Few posts great sale section that I've bought vehicles off of not to mention other things. I deal with jks and wjs and I get more use out of JKO and JeepForum for that. Both of which I'm a supporting member of. Jko helped me immensely with a couple projects that weren't bolt on. And with a spattering of smartass I found the information and got the help I needed. Here I still haven't got the answers to a question I asked. Nothing but bullshit from smartasses. Granted tapatalk screweed up and miss appropriated it but still. No one moved it and all i got was flack. Pirate is a bunch of jerks at times. But in the end they still help

Well I just looked at your threads and I can tell you the reason why your having a problem is because you created it... You asked a question about links for an 11.8 wheel base and snapped when someone said a tap measure should work and you called them a smart ass. What axles ? What chassis, 3 link? 4 link ? 3 link Y, what rod ends ? There are tons of variables.... I can tell you now, the natives ain't gonna let that shit fly...we will help those who can help themselves. You question is wayyyy to bland, and has wayyyyyy to many variables. Had you not been a smart ass you probably could or would have gotten better answer. Someone probably would have suggested using thread rod and you could measure/eye ball it out and cut the threaded rod down from there. Plus that stuff is cheap so if you made it too short no big deal...

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink... I am sure if you pulled that on pirate they would flamed your ass big time... I think you need to take a step back, thnk before you reply, and hopefully people will let your previous attitude not define who you are as a member.

Good luck man

Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 12-17-2014 at 08:51 AM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!!

Bud, you should know that you get what you put in. I'm an active member on many forums (RC Crawler, Vintage RC, 1:1 Mopar and 1:1 Jeep, etc) and the knowledge, tips, inspiration and people I've met here are top notch. Ya can't fly off the handle if you don't get the answer you want right away.

I'd suggest that tonight you open a cold beer, and spend some time browsing this forum's general crawler section, newbie sections, etc. The information alone is worth $20... To me it was worth more, so I grabbed a gold star.

If you go looking for smart ass remarks, that's what you'll find. Go looking for good information and that's what you'll find.

Good luck and happy holidays.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion Culetto Comments, Suggestions, and Help 0 12-19-2008 12:16 PM
Need Li-Po Suggestion Browncoat Newbie General 17 04-28-2008 10:00 PM
Suggestion Unholy Chit Chat 4 02-13-2007 04:09 PM
suggestion ILoveRCRockCrawlin Comments, Suggestions, and Help 8 04-15-2005 09:05 AM