Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Another broken truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Another broken truck

Do we have any suspicion that perhaps the issue is the gear lash or incorrect shimming? Perhaps the gears are binding or getting extremely hot (I know, a very unlikely event and higher temperatures should increase ductile responses to shock)?

The pictures with these broken pinions look catastrophic, and I can't see how it could happen unless the type of metal used is something akin to a cast iron (2.1 percent carbon with a lot of slag). I know that sudden impacts through a metal can cause ductile metals to respond in more of a brittle fashion because the particles don't have a chance to "absorb" the shock. However, any steel gears should certainly survive the lower power that this rigs transfers, and if not, an alloy with more manganese or less carbon should certainly help. We aren't talking about a 20 pound rig or 6S 1/8th scale power here.

Open question to Vaterra, is it possible the wrong alloy was used as compared to what was ordered in the purchase order? That would explain a lot of these failures, and I could certainly see a Chinese manufacturer either (i) making a mistake, or more likely, (ii) hoping that you never found out that the alloy is a cheaper variant than what was ordered. Those specifics should all be in the PO anyhow.

Last edited by MeanTT; 10-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #22

I think it would be helpful if over in the Pinion Gear thread people reported their kit number with failed gears.
We maybe could see a trend.
redxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
Do we have any suspicion that perhaps the issue is the gear lash or incorrect shimming? Perhaps the gears are binding or getting extremely hot (I know, a very unlikely event and higher temperatures should increase ductile responses to shock)?

The pictures with these broken pinions look catastrophic, and I can't see how it could happen unless the type of metal used is something akin to a cast iron (2.1 percent carbon with a lot of slag). I know that sudden impacts through a metal can cause ductile metals to respond in more of a brittle fashion because the particles don't have a chance to "absorb" the shock. However, any steel gears should certainly survive the lower power that this rigs transfers, and if not, an alloy with more manganese or less carbon should certainly help. We aren't talking about a 20 pound rig or 6S 1/8th scale power here.

Open question to Vaterra, is it possible the wrong allow was used as compared to what was ordered in the purchase order? That would explain a lot of these failures, and I could certainly see a Chinese manufacturer either (i) making a mistake, or more likely, (ii) hoping that you never found out that the alloy is a cheaper variant than what was ordered. Those specifics should all be in the PO anyhow.
These gears aren't machined or cast. They use a machine with molds and compress medal powder into them. They then heat them in a furnace which binds the particles.

A bad heat treating process or improper settings on the amount of pressure used on the molds can cause the parts to be weak.

So it appears the issue is probably a bad batch or 2 from Vaterra's supplier or every person in here would be complaining.

my 2 cents
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

X2 mgputer
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Another broken truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
LOOKIE HERE!!! (Good inexpensive 2.2 parts truck or basher truck...) STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Chit Chat 0 08-24-2007 12:44 PM