Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My K-5 should be here Monday!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My K-5 should be here Monday!

Wow OK so there is a real issue with the stocks eh.
You guys are saying that the ascender is worth it over the scx, I just saw the ascender yesterday, and almost bought it on the soot.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Wow OK so there is a real issue with the stocks eh.
You guys are saying that the ascender is worth it over the scx, I just saw the ascender yesterday, and almost bought it on the soot.

Weeeellll. I don't dislike the SCX at all. My nephew has one, but I bought him the chassis, and then gave him my old axles from my first foff truck that had hd gears and home built beef tubes in, then he built a trans using parts from Jazrider on eBay as he can't afford high price upgrades. Add to that making his own links and other pieces.

However it seems Axial just have been selling the same basics since introduction (unless I'm out of date with Axial stuff), and there quite a few upgrades needed just to keep it reliable.

It just seems the Ascender is very good out of the box and as most people tend to create their own scale truck, the kit version is a better choice than the SCX kit.

I realise that as I'm in the UK, parts can be hard to get, and it puts me at a disadvantage compared to USA people, especially over pricing, but I would happily buy another Ascender over an SCX now.

The SCX has been on the market for some time, so it's no surprise there are tons of stuff out there. Give it time and there hopefully will be good stuff available for the Ascender as well.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I like how the Ascender is build.... Nothing is perfect. I just never liked the hollow plastic tube driveshafts...
And since the low reduction ratio of the K-5 diffs, these must support a lot of torque...

Personally, I prefer using dogbones with or without CVD for drive shafts. Cheaper, tougher, lighter than hollow tube plastic, or the heavy MIP solution!
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Weeeellll. I don't dislike the SCX at all. My nephew has one, but I bought him the chassis, and then gave him my old axles from my first foff truck that had hd gears and home built beef tubes in, then he built a trans using parts from Jazrider on eBay as he can't afford high price upgrades. Add to that making his own links and other pieces.

However it seems Axial just have been selling the same basics since introduction (unless I'm out of date with Axial stuff), and there quite a few upgrades needed just to keep it reliable.

It just seems the Ascender is very good out of the box and as most people tend to create their own scale truck, the kit version is a better choice than the SCX kit.

I realise that as I'm in the UK, parts can be hard to get, and it puts me at a disadvantage compared to USA people, especially over pricing, but I would happily buy another Ascender over an SCX now.

The SCX has been on the market for some time, so it's no surprise there are tons of stuff out there. Give it time and there hopefully will be good stuff available for the Ascender as well.
Ya it kind of seems like axial is apple. Change the color, add a new word in there.

I noticed the links, and battery tray seem to be smartly engineered. I like how the pumpkin is quite small, gotta help ground clearance. The glued wheels seems like the only cheap out part
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
RCC Addict

There is some good ideas in the Ascender, just the pinion and the driveshafts let it down, but compared to how much work I had to do to my first SCX trans to get it reliable, then fix the axles with beef tubes and other things, then I think the Ascender is a winner. People say the SCX has more aftermarket support, but the Ascender has only been out 3 months, compared to 8 years (I think), so I expect more to come. I already changed the wheels, and most people do unless on a budget

Mines a keeper.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, the tires are glued, but I loved how nice they fitted on the rings. It was a charm to glue... Way more than my 2.2 tires on my AE T4.2....
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote

My K-5 should be here Monday! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
monday am seanpmccready Arizona 1 07-22-2012 09:51 PM
Anyone want to go out tomorrow 2/6 Monday? Erbing Nevada 11 02-08-2012 04:16 AM
Another Monday!!!! crash Videos! 15 04-09-2010 09:44 PM
Another monday crash Videos! 8 10-05-2009 10:21 AM
Skyway monday wilrace Florida 17 07-22-2008 05:54 AM