Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Woa crawling is actually cool. This Ascender is badass.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

Default This Ascender is badass.(update, 4 months abused and nothings broken)

16 years ago I raced onroad elec and gas, and offroad trucks and buggys. Then I went to college and life and junk and stopped until now.

In the fall on a whim I bought a 2nd hand nitro HPI Savage. Oooof bad move, I forgot how annoying nitro is... and it was too fast. I'm ashamed to say that as a guy who has a stage rally subaru in his garage...

I built the ascender over the last couple weeks and got to test it out tonight. I LOVE GOING SLOW! Creeping over rocks, getting that sweet sweet suspension fully articulated and gripping. Cool shit. I have great natural terrain to really give this thing a workout. Sidewinder 3 with some cheap brushed rc4wd 45t seems to work ok for me, I have the software and have adjusted the drag brake and initial torque adjusted to be as gentle on the drivetrain as possible. Instant reverse disabled. (BTW why is that called crawler reverse? How is that scale at all? It takes a second to get into reverse in a normal 1:1 car anyway, and this way the delay helps save the drivetrain.) Slipper clutch is wound all the way out for most slippage and even before I had heard of people using the 2 shims on the one side of the ring gear I had done that out of common sense.

Anyway, I'm pleased. Vaterra done good.

Last edited by biggreen96; 07-09-2015 at 01:42 PM.
biggreen96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Woa crawling is actually cool. This Ascender is badass.

Subaru picture?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Please!
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #4

Haha ok not many current pictures, but here is the facebook page where I post updates to the subaru. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rad-Rally/140587302164

I rolled old legacy #1, I'm close to wrapping up old legacy #2.

Last edited by biggreen96; 04-24-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

I'm happy with this little guy so far.
4 months of crawling and letting my friends kids bash around their hilly property, sooo many scratches now :( , many rolls and such. They managed to get the tires unglued from the rims too.. Thing is taking it like a champ. Slipper wound all the way out (nut flush with the input shaft). Shims on both sides of the (non-HD) ring gears, pushing the gears together for better mesh. I don't get it wet, and I hit it with canned air every couple crawls.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very good to hear, mine is my favorite crawler these days! How did you get the tires un-glued? Mine seem like they are really on there. My slipper is quite tight as I've never heard it slip once even when the tires where bound under ledges and I was on the gas...nothing broken so far. Shims should both be on the side behind the ring gear to push it towards the pinion as per Rich Trujillo and the revised instructions. See post #42 here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...scender-3.html

Mine has not been wet yet either, I don't mind a little snow or water, but I'm not into deep water and mud like some guys.

As far as the sweet Subi rally car goes...shitll buffout lol.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-09-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Whoops I totally meant to say I installed both shims on one side of the ring gear. I might have had a failure by now if it was how the manual originally said to do it.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have, like you, set-up the slipper all the way out, and it's perfect... only slip in really hard bind. And didn't have broken anything on mine!
Really love the truck....
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreen96 View Post
Whoops I totally meant to say I installed both shims on one side of the ring gear. I might have had a failure by now if it was how the manual originally said to do it.
Cool, thanks for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilmarilS View Post
I have, like you, set-up the slipper all the way out, and it's perfect... only slip in really hard bind. And didn't have broken anything on mine!
Really love the truck....
Nice, loving mine too and haven't broken anything even with the slipper tightened down!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Woa crawling is actually cool. This Ascender is badass. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra ascender K5 blazer in snow and some crawling Volvospede Scale Videos! 0 11-28-2014 01:49 AM
RC Crawling IS cool! DogSpoon Newbie General 18 06-16-2012 04:49 AM
Cool crawling spot some of you may not know about in Little Rock BadRockNoCookie Arkansas 4 04-25-2012 01:30 PM
Wife got a cool pic while we were out crawling yesterday. Anti Hero Axial SCX-10 18 02-18-2012 02:26 PM