Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Newbie- how to get higher wheel speed and still have smooth slow crawl?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #1

Default Newbie- how to get higher wheel speed and still have smooth slow crawl?

I just went from a cheapo RC4WD 45t to a cheapo RC4WD 35t to get some more wheel speed for punching up steep loose stuff but I realize I'm going to miss that smooth slower crawl of the 45t, even though it's really just a small difference. I don't trail run, and usually just carry the truck to the rock outcroppings I have my slow routes on.

I have a sidewinder3 and the ability to change all the settings on the PC and I played with the throttle curves to make slow speeds easier to modulate.

Is it my cheapo rc4wd motors? Would different type of motor give me better slow speed ability like the 45t AND the wheel speed of a 35t? Or is that an impossible ask? Should I look at different pinions? I should mention that I'm cheap and don't want to speed more than 30$ on a motor.

I'm in the boonies so I have to special order everything, the hobby shop is more warhammer than r/c.
biggreen96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2016, 04:06 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Newbie- how to get higher wheel speed and still have smooth slow crawl?

3s lipo should wake things up while retaining crawling speeds. What rig, tire size, spur and pinion are you running?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newbie- how to get higher wheel speed and still have smooth slow crawl?

Going from 2s to 3s was night and day

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Depends on the esc. The stock esc in 3s is a bit more jumpy at super slow technical speed like rock crawling but has awesome wheel speed. But since you changed out your esc you'll probably be ok. Just wanted to put that out there. The 2 speed transmission is another option, but it's about $100 to get a complete tranny, plus a shift servo, plus another radio with another channel if you don't have a 3 or more channel radio already. I love my 2 speed with stock 35t motor, I dropped to a 12t pinion from 14t and still run 2s since I've got the stock esc and it's the perfect balance if you ask me. I do mostly rock crawling but will drive the to rail to get there too so the high gear comes in handy. It's gotten me up and over obstacles that would just never happen with the slow wheel speed in first too so I do use it often.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run a roc 412 on 3s. I am pretty much in love. I have never ran a brushed motor on anything less then 3s in a crawler. I use 2.2 nano's and they are small enough to carry 4 with me and 2 on the truck. Works pretty well
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
3s lipo should wake things up while retaining crawling speeds. What rig, tire size, spur and pinion are you running?
I have a stock drivetrain ascender, I want to say it's 14 and 86, 1.5 tires?
Stock 2s reaction battery to fit the tray. Are there 3s batteries that fit the stock tray? 2.2 nanos?

To give you guys an idea of my battery needs: I have never run the truck longer enough in one seesion to drain the battery. I typically leave it in my car and stop between errands at my crawl spots to burn 15-20 mins and get some sun. Then I top off the battery once a week.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Helios rc makes and sells small.3s packs. Snug fit in the ascender tray but they fit nicely. And they're 3000 mah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
JugRKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #8
RCC Addict

These are 88x34x21mm & you could either pop one in your floating battery tray, run 2 in parallel along your sliders, or run 3 in parallel to get 4500mah: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=59280
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugRKnoT View Post
Helios rc makes and sells small.3s packs. Snug fit in the ascender tray but they fit nicely. And they're 3000 mah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thanks guys for the replies!

Is this the 300mah unit you were refering to? 3000-3s-30c Flight Pack

The turnigy ones are cheap too, I might just grab one of those.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Depends on the esc. The stock esc in 3s is a bit more jumpy at super slow technical speed like rock crawling but has awesome wheel speed. But since you changed out your esc you'll probably be ok. Just wanted to put that out there. The 2 speed transmission is another option, but it's about $100 to get a complete tranny, plus a shift servo, plus another radio with another channel if you don't have a 3 or more channel radio already. I love my 2 speed with stock 35t motor, I dropped to a 12t pinion from 14t and still run 2s since I've got the stock esc and it's the perfect balance if you ask me. I do mostly rock crawling but will drive the to rail to get there too so the high gear comes in handy. It's gotten me up and over obstacles that would just never happen with the slow wheel speed in first too so I do use it often.
Ben
X2 and 2-speed is one of the beautiful options for the Ascender that comes straight from the manufacturer.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I get very smooth low-speed crawling with an HH Crawlmaster 16T (equivalent to a 35T) on 3S even in high gear on my Ascender. As with all of my rigs, I use an expo throttle setting through the ESC to get that much more low-speed control while keeping the top end punch. I would suggest starting with 3S and an expo setting (possibly gearing down by a couple of teeth) to see how it runs with the rest of your setup as is. If you're still looking for smoother startup, you can then look into upgrading your motor and/or switching to the 2-speed.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

I typically run 2S, but I might try this "Volt Up - Gear Down" theory starting with my Ascender.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie- how to get higher wheel speed and still have smooth slow crawl? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smooth slow mo with the willy's mudding kenworthit Scale Videos! 6 06-11-2012 01:00 PM
slow controlled wheel speed? CarterFab Axial SCX-10 6 11-30-2010 08:48 PM
Slow Wheel speed @full lock? upnover1 Electronics 11 04-07-2008 06:22 AM