Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Getting ready to build my Ascender kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Getting ready to build my Ascender kit

Hey, so I ordered a k5 kit about a week ago and it will be showing up today. I am not a fan of the Blazer so I will be putting a Killerbody D90 shell on it. Wheels and tires are going to be Gmade Sro2's with the smaller Mickey Thompson Baja Claws from Rc4wd. For upgrades I have ordered aluminum shock bodies, knuckles, carriers and diff covers. Electronics are going to be a SV3 with a Holmes 13t Crawlmaster and a Savox 0231 running from a external bec. What do you all think? Will this be a fairly competent set up am I missing any of the must have upgrades? I am slightly concerned about the stamped steel wheels adding to rotational mass and exacerbating the torque twist problem I have read about but I am going to try to fit a sway bar that I have from my Twin hammers build.

Thanks

Last edited by Ryan78; 09-01-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Ryan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Getting ready to build my Ascender kit

Read this... Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Then this... My baby blazer

You've got nice electronics picked out. If you want it to handle and go where you want it, read up on the mostly free and some cheap mods Nate and I've done and you'll be very happy. All of your concerns are addressed in these threads.
Welcome to the club!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

Got started on the build and just like my Twin Hammers loving the fit and finish! Will get some pictures posted as I move along. Next thing is to figure out is what foam to put in the Baja Claws. They came with the grey stuff Ascenders Swampers have the white stuff. Not sure if I should go with one or the other or try to make a combo of the two
Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

[IMG][/IMG]

It's Alive! Waiting for the poly to dry on the Bec to finish electronics and get this thing driving.

[IMG][/IMG]

Was not a huge fan of the way the book told me to mount the steering servo. Not sure if a different servo would of fit better but this seems to work and nothing seems like it will hit or rub.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my attempt at a sway bar got it out of a Twin Hammers kit had to do some cutting, bending and drilling. Testing it our flexing by hand seems fairly solid but only time will tell.

Thanks for looking
Old 09-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I like the inboard swaybar. Does it clear the radio box at full flex?
I guess its mounted to the ESC plate?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
I like the inboard swaybar. Does it clear the radio box at full flex?
I guess its mounted to the ESC plate?
[IMG][/IMG]

This is full down what it finally hits is the upper rear links. I do not have the shocks built yet they are missing oil and the bump stop for the bottom spring retainer as I am waiting on aluminum bodies. I imagine once the oil and bump stomp are in there I will not be hitting the links. It is mounted to the underside of the esc tray. I tried a couple other spots nothing else seemed to work as well. Next on the agenda is limit straps for the front at full down travel get some vibration in the driveline

Last edited by Ryan78; 09-04-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan78 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

This is full down what it finally hits is the upper rear links. I do not have the shocks built yet they are missing oil and the bump stop for the bottom spring retainer as I am waiting on aluminum bodies. I imagine once the oil and bump stomp are in there I will not be hitting the links. It is mounted to the underside of the esc tray. I tried a couple other spots nothing else seemed to work as well. Next on the agenda is limit straps for the front at full down travel get some vibration in the driveline when suspension is full down.
Limit your shock travel by putting the bump stop from the outside of the shock to the inside below the piston. I really don't think you need limiting straps IMO.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Limit your shock travel by putting the bump stop from the outside of the shock to the inside below the piston. I really don't think you need limiting straps IMO.
Ernie
That makes sense do not know why that did not occur to me. I have the spacers for the bumper mounts do not think I will need them with the D90 body they should fit nicely inside the shocks. Got my electronics in and steering hooked up everything seems to work and seem to be getting good steering angle. My wheel/tires seem to wobble some from being out of balance was thinking about loosening the bolts and spinning them up to see if they seat better. I also imagine I will have to shorten the rear bumper mounts for the D90 body but will see should be here tomorrow.

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Another pic of the sway bar mount hopefully a little clearer for anyone who might be interested

Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #9

[IMG][/IMG]

First mock up of the body. Going to have to figure something different out for rock sliders.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Made some sliders not sure how effective they will be, think the arms might get snagged on stuff. May have to make plate to mount to and protect the arms. Added the thicker bumper spacers I had left over to get the width I needed.

Thanks

Last edited by Ryan78; 09-08-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Getting ready to build my Ascender kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender problem? after KIT build, Help K5user Vaterra Ascender 8 09-20-2015 12:16 AM
Ascender K5 kit or Axial Jeep wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit? Dali Newbie General 3 12-20-2014 05:24 PM