Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Anybody use axle grease in the trans/axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Default Anybody use axle grease in the trans/axles

Well.... took my blazer for a nice swim, needless to say the next week the trans was a bit noisy.

Tore it and the axles down, they're not anywhere near as sealed as I'd made the mistake of assuming. atleast I bought a bearing kit with the truck. As the ones in the trans were rusted to hell and shot out.

So, I've put them back together and filled the cases with axle grease, figure it's better and thicker than the stuff the kit comes with.

Also contemplated drilling/tapping a hole for a zerk fitting, so I can pump new grease in periodically.

Thoughts?

Last edited by K5383; 09-17-2016 at 09:00 PM.
K5383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anybody use axle grease in the trans/axles

To much or to thick and grease can cause a lot of drag. Enough to drastically shorten the life of the motor, overheat the ESC and drop run times due to excess load on the battery.
Rubber sealed bearing along with an adequate amount of synthetic grease is your best bet in my opinion.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

One more thing. Thick grease isn't a good idea either. You want to use a tacky grease that will stay on the gears without flinging off. Yes, there is a difference between thick and tacky grease. I started using Versachem synthetic brake caliper grease in the mid 90's, and there is NOTHING better. Stays on the gears, repels water, consistent in differing temperatures and it lubricates extremely well. I've been running my Sawback (aluminum diff gears) for over a year and a half now and there is hardly any wear on the diff gears. I've never cleaned or re-greased them. Just pull the diff cover once in a while to see what they look like. Almost every time I'm at a crawl someone will comment on how quiet my crawlers are. Now the secret is out
Ok, I'll shut up now
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Look for moly caliper grease. High temp, sticks well and is thin enough for no issues

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i've been using pro-boat marine grease for many years.very durable,not much drag,stays where i put it.
thead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Good point on the too much drag, I hadn't thought about that.

Well, today was the test, bombed around on the beach for almost 2 hours on 1 charge. Never noticed a loss of power, or anything getting too hot.

I'll inevitably tear it down and swap to the the moly style grease though, better safe than sorry!
K5383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Anybody use axle grease in the trans/axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle/trans grease comparison?. sickcivic95 General Crawlers 21 11-30-2013 12:34 PM
Axle grease, grease gun idea. arctichorse Axial SCX-10 1 11-14-2012 11:52 PM
axle yokes and stampede trans case questions tmaxxking1 Newbie General 6 02-05-2007 08:53 PM