Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: K10 box truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default K10 box truck?

Not really sure where this build is going to go but I had this container sitting around and really wanted to do something with it.

I cut it length wise and trimmed it up some. Was able to mount it over the K10 cage with only having to remove the aluminum side panels and the bars they mounted to.

Still have styrene work to do. Close up the top and seal off the back. I saved the bottom that I cut out because I thought they'd make some good doors on the rear.

Last edited by THX_138; 12-28-2016 at 11:37 PM.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: K10 box truck?

reminds me of an old school job site snack truck type bed. nice work being creative.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Neat idea, can't wait to see what you do with this.
Hobbezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Very cool idea! I'm looking forward to updates! An idea I've tossed around was to get the k10 body and do either a service body or a flat bed.
sd38-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Also kinda looks like military deuce and a half with rear canvas top, the ridges and waves in the plastic.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd38-2 View Post
Very cool idea! I'm looking forward to updates! An idea I've tossed around was to get the k10 body and do either a service body or a flat bed.
I looked at doing a flatbed but didn't want to hack my cage up. At least not yet.

One thought I had on paint was to mask off a canopy. Will depend on how much I have to cut from the rear. Those decisions are down the road though.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Now that I'm back from the Coast I can get back to work on this thing.

Kind of hard to tell but a little more trimming around the rear tires. With some more yet to do gauging from the initial clearance test. lol. Also have the top glued up. A lot more to do but so far so good in my eye.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

getting closer to getting some paint on this thing. Need to figure out a filler to use on the roof. Thinking of trying some flex seal or a thin layer of caulking. Need something flexible. Also need the darned temps to warm up a bit. Done with this freezing rain.

I came up with these rails to attach to the cage. I'm hoping to use them to glue the sides of the bed. Stiffen up the body.

I think I've decided to go with a pickup bed/canopy combo for the rear. I plan to paint the canopy from the outside using some textured primer. My hope was to paint the bed portion from the inside but I'm not sure that will work with me wanting to glue inside that new section. Would the glue stick to the paint layer? Without pulling it off the plastic?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

To flare or not flare?

Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired View Post
Thinking of trying some flex seal or a thin layer of caulking. Need something flexible. Also need the darned temps to warm up a bit. Done with this freezing rain.

I came up with these rails to attach to the cage. I'm hoping to use them to glue the sides of the bed. Stiffen up the body.

I plan to paint the canopy from the outside using some textured primer. My hope was to paint the bed portion from the inside but I'm not sure that will work with me wanting to glue inside that new section. Would the glue stick to the paint layer? Without pulling it off the plastic?
Alex paintable caulking would work and fairly easy to remove later. More permanent would be E6000, doesn't need much, but you can usually carefully pull the parts apart and then peel the E6000 off, but test your particular materials, might be too permanent for yours.

Most adhesives will pull the paint off before they de-bond, but again E6000 is great stuff and what I would try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired View Post
To flare or not flare?
Flare, adds to the look so it's not so flat-sided. Stick them on with E6000.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Alex paintable caulking would work and fairly easy to remove later. More permanent would be E6000, doesn't need much, but you can usually carefully pull the parts apart and then peel the E6000 off, but test your particular materials, might be too permanent for yours.

Most adhesives will pull the paint off before they de-bond, but again E6000 is great stuff and what I would try.

Since your on the subject, is e6000 paintable w/ spray paint?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I used ShoeGoo and E6000 to reinforce RC bodies with drywall mesh tape and painted over it with lexan paint, held up quite well. Did this on standard inside the lexan body paint and outside paint on my old SCX10 body, survived Axialfest that way.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Thanks for the input Nate. I figured the adhesive would pull the paint before the bond but wanted a second opinion. That will free up some options on making it a little more rigid on the inside.

So far I've been lucky enough to have built this thing so that it's fairly easy to remove. Although I realized that once I seal up that rear end the way I was planning it won't be so simple. It's worth the $25 cage if I can pull this off looking halfway decent.

And those flares were a total fluke. I was cleaning up my bench and found 2 pieces of scrap.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well, officially flared.

Also took a small piece from another container I started with to fill the gap in the front of the roof section. I just wanted to continue that style line across the roof of what will be the canopy.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Some more styrene work this weekend. Getting closer to actually painting this thing. Thinking I'll most likely go with a false bed with a canopy on it when I paint it. Been kicking around a couple of ideas.

These cross members really stiffened up the rear end. My main reason for including them though was to have something to attach the rear pieces to.

I decided to put a piece of .010 styrene over the top joints. just to clean up the look. Once I get paint on it I'm hoping the lines around this piece are minimized.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well, I'm inching closer and closer to actually laying paint on this thing. I've pretty much abandoned the box truck look.. for now. What do you guys think of this? I laid a stip of tape where I'll break the colors on the rear. Thinking white or possibly silver for the canopy, haven't decided on a color for the truck yet though. My thought is to match the lower half of the rear to the cab. Whatever it may end up being.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Figured I'd been neglecting this build for too long now so I revisited it. I needed a replacement front grill for the K10, I looked around to see if anyone was selling but had little success. So, last night I decided to try my McGyver skills for fabricating a new one. Here is what I have so far. Mind you it's still a work in progress. I'm also installing front light buckets while I'm at it.

I might even have enough of the backer to make a couple sand ladders. Going to mess around with the scraps and see what I can come up with.

Still plan to paint the grill. I have some metallic silver which I'm considering. The shell will be repainted black most likely so I don't think I'll be doing all black for the grill.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I like the two-tone paint and lexan bedsides, is that a shortcourse body bed?

Grill is coming along nicely.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I like the two-tone paint and lexan bedsides, is that a shortcourse body bed?

Grill is coming along nicely.
Thanks Nate!

The bed on this build is a repurposed Peanut Butter Pretzel container from Costco. (post 1) and , are you ready for this??? the backing for that grill and the potential sand ladders.... They're the plastic insert that comes with batteries purchased at Costco. I was going to recycle that insert and thought the areas where I've placed the headlights were about the right width.. Turns out.. yes! they are just about perfect. Just added in some styrene I had lying around.

About the only thing that is designed to be used on an RC is the cab portion and the frame.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, ok I should have looked more closely, I remember the bed now, the top part was kinda blended to the background. "mrgreen"

Hey, repurpose, recycle, and modify away!

K10 box truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f250 box truck project willdog1998 Axial SCX-10 3 06-07-2014 12:25 PM
Scale diamond plate truck box?? Desert Rc General Scale Talk 10 12-07-2010 07:13 PM