Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Does your ascender have this on the hub?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Does your ascender have this on the hub?

It is the limit of my steering and it doesn't turn as sharp as my scx10 ii and they should be about the same.
If you do or did have it, did you shave it off?

nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Does your ascender have this on the hub?

I haven’t touched the plastic end stops, still got them. Biggest limiting factor on the RTR ascenders is the servos lack of travel, even after setting the end points to max and the short plastic servo horn.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I agree with yeti on that. Changing the servo really helps. Even with the stock servo horn it will turn more just changing the servo.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have a savox in there
Old 03-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

What servo horn are you using? I still couldn’t get full steering until I added a longer servo horn.

In your picture it looks like the hub is not making contact with the little plastic bump stop. I’m pretty sure mine has got rub marks on it from making contact.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
What servo horn are you using? I still couldn’t get full steering until I added a longer servo horn.

In your picture it looks like the hub is not making contact with the little plastic bump stop. I’m pretty sure mine has got rub marks on it from making contact.
Mine does hit those, which is why I was asking if everyone had them cuz that's the limit in my steering. My scx10 ii turns quite a bit tighter and it's surprising to me
Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
I haven’t touched the plastic end stops, still got them. Biggest limiting factor on the RTR ascenders is the servos lack of travel, even after setting the end points to max and the short plastic servo horn.
X2.

I just checked several sets of plastic chubs and knuckles, same as yours with steering stops. Checked couple sets of Vaterra aluminum knuckles and they have steering stops only on front, but this works to stop steering in both directions.

My trucks turn until stock tires just rub lower suspension links, great steering, but SCX10ii may technically have a tiny bit more. I’ve never lacked for steering while crawling with my Ascenders, you’ll notice in your picture that it appears that yout cvds are getting full steering as verified by light rub marks from outer bell against inner axle. Axial u-joint types can be ground for more clearance, but at some point it starts binding the drive train. Turn full lock with truck upside down and watch the wheels and drivelines as you give it light forward throttle, you’ll see it. FYI newer Ascender CVDs are beefed up at the end and lose a couple degrees steering, but the increased strength is very worthwhile.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Does your ascender have this on the hub? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
Trail Honcho "C-Hub" hub carrier issue orangebloodtex Axial SCX-10 6 11-24-2014 06:55 PM
Need help choosing hub vp hub size Alamo71 Tires and Wheels 0 01-02-2014 07:05 PM
Fixed Rear Hub vs Lock out Rear hub for MRC crawlzzzs Newbie General 1 04-20-2009 06:46 PM