Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Luca's G6 Junior Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Luca's G6 Junior Rig

So my youngest son Luca (7) told me today he'd like to come with me to this years Nationals/G6 next month. He always did want to join in but never liked the idea of being away from home for 3 days (without mum, bless), but this year pfft what yeh thats fine.

I got this nearly new ascender last week in a trade bundle.......so the perfect platform for him to use. I've decided not to do the Blazer shell it came with but instead picked up a bargain honcho shell. One thing about our Nats location it can be brutal on the cars so something tough and flexible is the clever way forward.

I've got the chassis set to 12.4, where as a stock honcho is 12.3 but I quite like the extra forwardness of the front wheels as it sits now so leaving as is.

To get the cage to sit as low as it can I've had to slice off the top of the shock mounts/body post rib.

The tyres that came in the bundle are RC4WD RockCrusher II's and I quite like them so they are staying. The rims will be RC4WD steel rims in black. Body will painted on the outside in a creamy or grey colour.
Front bumper will probably be stock but mounted with an L plate to draw it right back to the chassis edge.

Some pics.....

Luca in action over the years

https://youtu.be/rc2OcPxD1MY

https://youtu.be/Xu_DTsSPSZE
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Luca's G6 Junior Rig

That'll be a lot of fun spending time with your son. Very nice rig too! Good luck
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What ford body is that in the background
jmontes_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontes_21 View Post
What ford body is that in the background
Its a JConcepts shell, its in this thread towards the end...

Bill's G6 comp rig on a sensible budget
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Wheelbase and body look great, looking forward to where you go with it, plans sound great! Nice to spend time with your son too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

So a little bit more progress on Luca's rig.

Got a superlift steering stabiliser on, I love these as you can centre the servo horn and then adjust the bars length by winding it in or out.......this leaves my TX's trim central which in turn calms down my OCD for having stuff totally spot on lol.

Next up I removed the spacers on the sliders, but they still stuck out too far from this slimmer honcho shell, so took the dremmel to the slider mounts and lopped of 10mm which drew the sliders in to touch the shells edge.

Last up the 1.9 RC4WD rims arrived which as ever I built in reverse to give that deep dish look.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looks great. The Honcho bodies are a perfect size. Do you have a link or part number for the steering stabilizer? I could do with one of those

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks View Post
Looks great. The Honcho bodies are a perfect size. Do you have a link or part number for the steering stabilizer? I could do with one of those

Cheers mate, yep here's a link for you.......

Superlift Adjustable Steering Stabilizer (65mm-90mm)
Old 05-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
RCC Addict

So got the electrics all plumbed in. Not being able to use the rear locations for the electrics I decided to position everything together reducing the normal amount of cabling.

Next up tonight I made a start on the shell. Satin Black bed, Ultra Matt Khaki for the main shell. Still have light buckets, some shadow gaps to mark in and some decals but its about there.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Freakin sweet color scheme on the Yota, needs some kinda mini front bumper or something. Maybe like this or similar with small outer part to blend into the grill/valance area of body?

http://store.rc4wd.com/Tough-Armor-S...10_p_2069.html

Does the rear lower tube part of bed rest on the frame rails?

Got a straight on front shot of the body to front of frame?

Last edited by Natedog; 05-21-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Yeh cheers bud, it was going to be ford dove grey but then I saw these new camouflage colours so plumped for this as it was kinda the ball park I was after.

Bumper wise, yeh I like that bumper you linked a lot, but planning on either chopping down the stock bumper to the LED holes (width wise) or I've got some metal C channel bar I could improvise something with........but like you say narrow is the way forward.

The bed cage sits about 1mm above the chassis cross member so on a big impact it should just connect and be strong.......though I did have to chop that top lip off of the shock mounts (pictured earlier above).

Pic wise did you mean this

Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Stock bumper chopped down prolly pretty nice. I ran the Axial Poison Spyder bumper on my SCX10 and it was spot on after I modded the mounts to flush it up against the front crossmember (which I shaved about 3mm off the front of), and drilled new mount holes in the bumper. Had to trim up the backside of the bumper to clear the frame and tires during steering and flex.

I would get the body as low as possible, can it come down the 1mm to flush against the frame? Not much, but it adds up and this is looking to be comp serious.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Yeh mate we have the same ideas, I have one of those bumpers saved in my eBay just in case.

Unfortunately that 1mm is there to stay. I would have to either remove it from the top of shock mount which having already removed some and the stock metal cross member I'd prefer to leave as strong as possible. Also I'd have to cut a large section of lexan out of the bed as its butted up forwards against the shock mount.......and with them both being angled it's like a growing wedge when they slide past each other if that makes sense forcing the shell further back with every MM it drops.
The shell is so light (compared to hard shells I normally run) I can live with it lol.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

That's how it is sometimes. Maybe add the aluminum cross member back in by driling new holes for it in different part of rear shock towers? Could also drill new holes lower in shock mounts for body mount screwpins. Understand the angled shock tower and body fore/aft location. Yes, it is light, losing the upper part of rollcage helps too, I did this on my Honcho SCX10.

Could user rearmost body mount holes at rear frame crossmember, run shorter rear shocks with angle and drill new upper shock mount holes? Chop out more of the lower cage under the bed area and make the tube work line up wtih the rear cross member instead of above it?

Hmmm, now you got me thinking about my old Honcho body lol.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Yeh all good ideas bud which I would be tempted to try if this shell was this rigs entire future.........but it won't be so for that 1mm it so ain't worth the hassle"thumbs"

I did put some time into detailing the shell a bit. Light buckets in, shadow gaps (they where tricky around the door tops though, very very shallow moulding), rubber wing mirrors. And managed to squeeze a light bar within the chassis rails which will sit under the bumper.

First mock up of the bumper.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Bill, that truck is looking outstanding! Makes me want to send you my Ascender and have you do the same body setup on it.

Good job, sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

What paint did you use on the cab? I love it!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I cut down my standard bumper and I think it looks good. The Honcho bodies are great on the Ascenders.

Some photos are in my build thread towards the end.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t

FozRC Ascender

Last edited by hawks; 05-22-2016 at 09:00 PM.
hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Sammy many thanks bud, and send away mate any time!!

Banana clip it's Halfords Ultra Matt Khaki (available in the UK)

Hawks it was your rig that triggered me to do this so thank you sir!!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Got all those small jobs tied up and finished tonight.......fitted LED's in the light bar and reds in the rear (in case he's up for the night run at the G6), drilled new holes for the rear body post threaded pins and a few decals.......but leaving space for the comp/sponsor decals after we've checked in.

Just that front bumper to nail now.

Luca's G6 Junior Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rocco Junior poomwah Non Crawler RC's 11 02-19-2013 04:25 PM
Cheapjeep2 Junior cheapjeep2 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 37 01-05-2007 11:34 PM