Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: No more coupons on Vaterra products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default No more coupons on Vaterra products

We have seen Traxxas and Axial discontinue their use of coupons on their kits so it was probably inevitable that Horizon would do the same. That day seems to have come as both RPP and Amain list all Vaterra vehicles with the dreaded "manufacturer does not allow coupons" tag.

Horizon has even gone a step further and no longer allows coupons across their whole product range including Spektrum radios, Dynamite accessories, and even spare parts.

I hope everyone enjoys paying full price.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: No more coupons on Vaterra products

Surface RC sales slump? Raise prices! That always helps....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I understand the kit aspect, but the parts thing doesn't make much sense.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Now I'm really glad I got my Ascender K10 before this happened!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I think they are dropping the ball big time here. They are still selling the kits and parts at the same cost to vendors. What do they care if the vendor isn't making as much as they could on the kits. I know there have been a few on this forum that bought Vaterra because of coupon codes (myself included). I understand that they are trying to help sales in brick and mortar stores but if it's to help their own bottom line, I think they've gone down a dangerous path.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Surface RC sales slump? Raise prices! That always helps....
Amen.

WTF. It only takes one to ruin the party. Thanks, Traxxas.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm talking out of my ass here, but This seems like a move to save brick & mortar retailers. If the Brick & Mortar retailers die off it will be much more difficult for this hobby to find & convert new enthusiasts, & even more so, new casual buyers.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

OK, I can kind of see why they do this.. Traxxas and Axial have set the bar there. What confounds me is why that no coupon discount is being extended to replacement parts from Vaterra. That's a real noodle scratcher.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Price is price....... grow up !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Hang up and Drive
Your right, in fact I think they should just get rid of coupons entirely, and raise prices 25% across the board. After all, price is price, and we should shut up and pay it. Or grow up. Or whatever.

Getting rid of a purchasing incentive from a major manufacturer is absolutely reason enough for discussion....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
I'm talking out of my ass here, but This seems like a move to save brick & mortar retailers. If the Brick & Mortar retailers die off it will be much more difficult for this hobby to find & convert new enthusiasts, & even more so, new casual buyers.
Perhaps, but what most LHS need to realize, that they don't seem to, is that we have money and want to buy product. I'ts sad, but these days I don't even check at most LHS because they are:

1) Constantly out of stock.
2) Frequently tell me they are getting more and never do or don't restock for weeks.
3) Have a bad attitude or are too lazy to look up a part if I don't spoon feed them a brand and part number.
4) Only give store credit for returns, including un-opened, un-used items.
5) Even when I call to check stock (and wait 10 minutes just to ask a question), they tell me they have it and when I get there a little bit later, they don't have it, can't find it and were out of stock or never did have it.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-01-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Well due to the coupon fiasco, I didn't order my new TRX from Tower, but my LHS. As a regular customer , I put my phone #in the system, after I spend a couple hundred, I get a 10% off there....
I must say it worked as that's MY cheapest way.
10% off of $479.00 .....

Oh I have a good LHS, because I spend money there !

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #13

I ordered my first crawler, an ascender, yesterday from RPP. I almost waited to see if there were better coupons for May. I am sure glad I didn't....
gokartjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Perhaps, but what most LHS need to realize, that they don't seem to, is that we have money and want to buy product. I'ts sad, but these days I don't even check at most LHS because they are:

1) Constantly out of stock.
2) Frequently tell me they are getting more and never do or don't restock for weeks.
3) Have a bad attitude or are too lazy to look up a part if I don't spoon feed them a brand and part number.
4) Only give store credit for returns, including un-opened, un-used items.
5) Even when I call to check stock (and wait 10 minutes just to ask a question), they tell me they have it and when I get there a little bit later, they don't have it, can't find it and were out of stock or never did have it.
Exactly my thinking on this. My LHS has squat for Ascender stuff. Axial is it's own problem with parts availability... But they're constantly $5-10 over suggested retail on a lot of stuff. They'll match most times but it's a hassle getting price adjustments on half the stuff you are buying. I REALLY like the "we don't have it but we can order it.." Well that defeats the purpose bub. You're gonna upcharge me, I'll have to wait for you to call me and then make an extra trip to the store 20 minutes from my house. My LHS adopted a points system that basically netted me a set of Hyrax's recently. The problem I've noticed is the manager of the RC department is NOT into the crawler/scale thing at all and handcuffs his staff on what they order. They get a lot of my business but simply don't carry enough to keep 100% of my business.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well due to the coupon fiasco, I didn't order my new TRX from Tower, but my LHS. As a regular customer , I put my phone #in the system, after I spend a couple hundred, I get a 10% off there....
10% off of $479.00 .....

You're one of the lucky few then, there are several shops in my area and only one is decent, but even they say that they can get it....I went to brick and mortar because I want it today. I can also order it and get it faster, because I don't have to wait for an order minimum, once per week ordering at best and staff who don't remember to order it. Yes, I've spent thousands at my lhs.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I'm having deja vu
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

My LHS supports a large ex military flying group and a large year round RC regatta sailing weekly . No crawlers here.... 5 or 10 who dabble, rest are bashers. I just convinced them about fast eddies, they signed up !
Three day orders, no freight and they match towers prices. I also get a few CASH deals(Tekin 3000) so it works both ways.

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Having to special order stampede rear camber links(Traxxas is 70% of what they sell), and had to drive 30 miles to pay up front for them, and have been buying from them since 06...really gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. For me, online will still be better, even without coupons. Hate to see them go, "adapt and overcome"

... and what yall said
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #19

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
It's a consumer's world. Why not use that to your advantage?

I think growing up means realizing you don't have to pay full price for things...

Quote:
10% off of $479.00 .....

----------------------------------------------------------------
My LHS supports a large ex military flying group and a large year round RC regatta sailing weekly . No crawlers here.... 5 or 10 who dabble, rest are bashers. I just convinced them about fast eddies, they signed up !
Three day orders, no freight and they match towers prices. I also get a few CASH deals(Tekin 3000) so it works both ways.

Hang up and Drive
Do you realize most hobby shops aren't like this? Most brick and mortar hobby shops are garbage and they don't give a shit about their customers.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

No, I go into hobby shops in my travels. Lots of great ones, many piss poor, and then the chains come in. My LHS is third gen..... not the best, but know how to keep me coming back.
One way is simply matching tower.....

I do.... shop for the best price and shipping ..... that said if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

My 2650 Gool is not close to my 17.5 tekin, but that's because I PAID for the quality.....
Don't miss the point

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 05-03-2017 at 08:27 AM.

No more coupons on Vaterra products - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vanquish Products VVDs for the Vaterra RC Ascender - coming soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-02-2017 11:27 AM
tower coupons.... pugs2300 Chit Chat 7 01-27-2012 02:11 PM
Coupons sabohead Chit Chat 1 03-08-2011 01:09 PM