Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR brushed system in Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tekin FXR brushed system in Ascender

I just purchased my first Ascender (Blazer kit) and I'm probably going to get one of the Tekin FX-R combos, but I'm not sure which motor to go for. I'm looking at the 35T HD, or the 40T Pro. Is there much difference between these? I'm not looking for high speed, just something good for trails and crawling. I want to get a long run time, and only need something that goes at a fast walking pace.
My wife is also getting one of the Bronco Ascender RTR's which comes with the 35T, and I'm currently running the Novak GOAT brushless system with Balistic 18.5T motor in my SCX10. Will there be much speed difference between these two? Both running 7.4v batteries.
I hope this all makes sense.

Last edited by davidk_78; 08-11-2017 at 04:27 AM.
davidk_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tekin FXR brushed system in Ascender

The FXR is a very good choice, they are very smooth through the full throttle range. Either the 35 or 40T motors will be slow on 2S, no need to worry about too much speed. My Ascender has a Holmes 30T motor on 3S and it tops out at about 8 mph going downhill with a tail wind. I would choose the 35T over the 40T since wheel speed can be easily turned down through ESC and radio adjustments but adding speed requires buying a new motor.

As for the comparison to the Novak 18.5, those motors are rated around 1600kv. Holmes rates their 35T brushed motors around 1500kv so the top end speed would be similar using the same gearing and battery voltage.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks that's great to hear, I was thinking the difference would be huge. Is it worth buying perhaps the 30T Pro then? Is it worth going for a hand wound over machine wound? Would be nice if they just offered a 35T Pro as 35 seems very popular.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Tekin FXR with 35T is great combo, 2S is good, but I prefer this on 3S and maybe drop 1-2 teeth on pinion gear from the stock 14tooth.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk_78 View Post
Thanks that's great to hear, I was thinking the difference would be huge. Is it worth buying perhaps the 30T Pro then? Is it worth going for a hand wound over machine wound? Would be nice if they just offered a 35T Pro as 35 seems very popular.
If you're just going to be running 2S then I'd say go with the 30T. That'll get you a decent amount torque and wheel speed.

Machine wound Vs. Hand wound: Hand wound is definitely superior, but if you're just starting into the hobby I wouldn't guarantee that the difference would be worth the increased price to you. If you can afford it though, the hand wound is absolutely the better choice.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:22 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys for your input , I decided to order the 35T HD combo so it matches wifeys RTR. I'll see how I like it and then order one of the Pro motors at a later date. At this stage we'll be running Orion 2S packs, but may give 3S a go and drop a couple of teeth as Natedog suggests.
Now I just have to be patient and wait for the parcel to arrive.

Last edited by davidk_78; 08-17-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Tekin FXR brushed system in Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FXR-Pro Tekin 35t brushed setup w/ 3s lipo 2200mah? Trex72 Newbie General 5 03-31-2009 09:49 PM
New TEKIN FXR CRAWLER SYSTEM blinblinCrawler Florida 0 08-25-2008 05:27 AM