Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: From Blazer to Flatbed truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #1

Default From Blazer to Flatbed truck

Since I bought my blazer RTR I've been wanting to customize it. Over the past few months I've been slowly buying parts to make it in to a flatbed 4x4 truck. I bought a bullhead cab and some part trees for it and lots of styrene. I changed the wheels a few months ago to black Gmade steel bead locks and pit bull tires. I also have the rear axle on the gcm leaf spring kit. Most of the electronics are under the hood now. The bed is only partly finished, I plan on adding sides and a tailgate. The battery is going to be hidden in a crate on the flatbed when finished. This was my first rc crawler and my first time working with styrene. I added a bulkhead on the flatbed, I'm thinking of cutting it down, it's a little too tall I think.

sd38-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #2

Default Re: From Blazer to Flatbed truck

A little more work done to my Bobbed Deuce Ascender. Still alot of work ahead.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That looks really cool. What wheelbase is the frame at? Looks like the rear axle could go back some. Would help with rear overhang and I think it'd look a little more proportional. I do like what you're doing though. Just a suggestion.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
That looks really cool. What wheelbase is the frame at? Looks like the rear axle could go back some. Would help with rear overhang and I think it'd look a little more proportional. I do like what you're doing though. Just a suggestion.

Ben
Ben thanks! I really wanted a truck that was different than everything else you see so I made the bobbed deuce. If I had the extra parts I would have made it a 6x6. I left it set at the wheel base for the blazer body. Is there a setting that's longer wb than the blazer?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd38-2 View Post
Ben thanks! I really wanted a truck that was different than everything else you see so I made the bobbed deuce. If I had the extra parts I would have made it a 6x6. I left it set at the wheel base for the blazer body. Is there a setting that's longer wb than the blazer?
No that's the longest that vaterra offers, BUT...there are more holes in the frame to slide the rear section of frame out some more, leave the transmission in the same place so the front driveshaft and links don't need to be changed. Then, just make some new links for the rear and you'll be good.

You can just make longer links for the rear but your shocks will be tilting to the rear which does effect spring rate and climbing ability. So you can move the shock mounts back to keep everything lined up that way too. Whatever you feel is easiest. Or you can leave it and enjoy it like it is. Either way, you've got a pretty cool rig!

Ben
Old 10-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Oh wow, just looked again and you've got leafs in the rear. Sweet!! Slide the rear frame out from the front frame and you'll only have to change your rear body mount and driveshaft.

Ben
Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the helpful tip! I'll mess with it sometime soon. This has been a fun but frustrating project at times.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #8

Ben, what driveshaft should I replace the stock one with if I extend the chassis? I still have the factory plastic ones in it.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I personally still use the vaterra driveshafts. They're big but do the job well. You can buy the driveshaft kit part number VTR232079, then take a male section, cut the end off where the cv joint bolts on, slide it in the female section and glue in place, then take a female section, cut the end off the cv joint bolts onto, glue it on the exposed male splines of the piece you just glued together. Now
You've got a longer female section the male section can go in and a longer overall driveshaft. It's up to you to do the measuring before glueing to make
Sure that you've got enough room for the driveshaft to fully compress and extend but you get the idea, right? Or, someone else can chime in with a different brand of driveshaft but you'll neeed the adapter for the rear end so it'll accept an aftermarket drive shaft which means you'll have to take the rear end all apart to change that. Then measure for the driveshaft and find one to fit.

Hope this helps.
Ben
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

Thanks again Ben! Your help and advice is very appreciated.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #11

I started making new bumpers for my truck. I made them out of 16 ga steel. I have alot of work to do to them still, grill guard and tow rings on the front and a pintle hitch on the rear. I'm going to weather it to look old and rusty. I also made a new mount for the bed.

The green tape on the rear is marking for what I am going to trim off.

From Blazer to Flatbed truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C1 trail truck~~ OG 70 series Toyota LC flatbed on Chino's distinctive pd RC4WD Trail Finder 2 10 12-18-2017 07:07 PM
Ford F 550 flatbed haul truck. WillWorkForAlumParts 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 02-10-2017 07:05 PM
Doom's 6x6 MAN flatbed truck AngelowDoom Multi Axle Rigs 8 11-19-2014 11:24 PM
Hilux Flatbed Mud Truck chugdugdadug Non Crawler RC's 13 12-23-2012 06:00 PM
k/w aussie flatbed boom truck #160 SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 10 11-24-2010 06:13 AM