Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Dose any make portal axials for ascebder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #1

Default Dose any make portal axials for ascebder

Hey just asking cause I feel like to would get rid of the toruqe twist plus id like to get more axial clearance off the ground plus lower weight on the rig pics to show off my rig so far

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
movt120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dose any make portal axials for ascebder

Quote:
Originally Posted by movt120 View Post
Hey just asking cause I feel like to would get rid of the toruqe twist plus id like to get more axial clearance off the ground plus lower weight on the rig pics to show off my rig so far

Codyboy does. He just completed the prototype.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
Codyboy does. He just completed the prototype.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sweet do you a have link to his post. Also how does one buy from him ?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here is a link to the portals I built from ascender axles, but they would be way to expensive to start building?Codyboy's 46 Powerwagon Flatbed. It would be a lot cheaper to find a used set of axles some where. You would also need a custom transfer case to make up for the 2.3:1 gear reduction in the Trx4 portals.
Ernie

:Thanks Cary!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

MST makes portal axles. I'm not sure if they will be the correct size for the TRX-4.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
MST makes portal axles. I'm not sure if they will be the correct size for the TRX-4.
NAILED IT.
of course the first thing that came to mind was CODYBOY portals, but so far he has the only set he made for his rig (look for his powerwagon thread here)

second thing i thought of was the MST's, and they should fit just fine under the ascender. just make your links so they point the pinion angle correctly.
that said, its not plug-n-play, but what you're asking... nothing will be.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
NAILED IT.
of course the first thing that came to mind was CODYBOY portals, but so far he has the only set he made for his rig (look for his powerwagon thread here)

second thing i thought of was the MST's, and they should fit just fine under the ascender. just make your links so they point the pinion angle correctly.
that said, its not plug-n-play, but what you're asking... nothing will be.
Yea I was expecting plug in play as I love making things work I was just hopping someone did so I didn't need to fully mutilate a trx4 axial at the end my ascender looking more axial parts and traxxes and other

Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If the axle final drive is lower it will help the TT. Portal axles will increase ground clearance, but they generally tend to raise the COG, not lower it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Here is a link to the portals I built from ascender axles, but they would be way to expensive to start building?Codyboy's 46 Powerwagon Flatbed. It would be a lot cheaper to find a used set of axles some where. You would also need a custom transfer case to make up for the 2.3:1 gear reduction in the Trx4 portals.
Ernie
Nice setup Ernie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yes, MST is another option, but Traxxas is better design, quality and more parts availability.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, MST is another option, but Traxxas is better design, quality and more parts availability.
I don't know why, but I tend to forget the TRX-4 has portal axles.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Didn't Spaceman's "alter-ego" say he got rid of TT by mounting SCX 10.2 axles to his Ascender?
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Didn't Spaceman's "alter-ego" say he got rid of TT by mounting SCX 10.2 axles to his Ascender?
That is one of those; A picture or it didn't happen moments.

I don't believe that he got rid of all his TT, but I could be wrong. I think as usual he was looking for someone to start something with!!
Ernie
Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Quote:
Yea I was expecting plug in play as I love making things work I was just hopping someone did so I didn't need to fully mutilate a trx4 axial at the end my ascender looking more axial parts and traxxes and other

When I was working on the design for mine I had thoughts of a plug and play axle but when I got into them and crunch the numbers I realize I would need to build a motor forward bracket and T-case I decided it would take to much time and be to expensive to build for sale. I think the real reason I did them was to prove to myself I could do it.

If you look at some other portals and want to get rid of your TT you need to make sure they are geared with a reduction, if not all your doing is adding a little clearance at the expense of raising your COG. Just my 2 Cents worth!
Ernie
Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
When I was working on the design for mine I had thoughts of a plug and play axle but when I got into them and crunch the numbers I realize I would need to build a motor forward bracket and T-case I decided it would take to much time and be to expensive to build for sale. I think the real reason I did them was to prove to myself I could do it.

If you look at some other portals and want to get rid of your TT you need to make sure they are geared with a reduction, if not all your doing is adding a little clearance at the expense of raising your COG. Just my 2 Cents worth!
Ernie
Makes 100% senes mostly likey would be more worth to look I to normal axels like the ones you make do you have a link to where you sell the products you make ?

And yea maybe not worth the time and effort when there are more easier and cost effective ways to reduce tt

Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'm surprised no one has made a set of ring and pinions for the ascender to help with the torque twist. That would be the most economical idea. Also they make them in different gearing for the scx why not the ascender?

I mean if someone made them everyone would buy them.

Last edited by mgputer; 03-24-2018 at 08:34 AM.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I'm surprised no one has made a set of ring and pinions for the ascender to help with the torque twist. That would be the most economical idea. Also they make them in different gearing for the scx why not the ascender?

I've talked with one of the designers for the ascender a few weeks ago, and it sounds easier than it would really be. It would involve redesigning the whole axle housing for larger gears. For me it seems that the smaller pumpkin is a plus for ground clearance. So it would be a bit of a trade off. TT is a issue that has been covered many times over the year in many threads in RCC and it is still around. That was one of the reasons I spent the time designing the ascender portal axle. I have no noticeable TT in testing, but like I said the cost to put them into production would be a limiting factor. And being a 68 year old retired Grandpa with a small one peson home shop I pick and chose how I spend my time. (I still want to be retired). For now just spending time tuning and reading what some others are doing to combat TT is your best option. For over under gears I'm working one a design for a motor forward plate and a transfer case with overdrive gears, or underdrive gears and both.
JMO
But I'm looking forward to helping you with your ascender!
Ernie
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post

Quote:
Makes 100% senes mostly likey would be more worth to look I to normal axels like the ones you make do you have a link to where you sell the products you make ?

And yea maybe not worth the time and effort when there are more easier and cost effective ways to reduce tt

I have a Blue star, but no online store front. All my sales are by word of mouth on here. Most of my work is with my Losi XR steering kits and the ascender axle upgrades. With a few custom jobs sprinkled in here and there.
But thanks for asking!!
Ernie
Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've talked with one of the designers for the ascender a few weeks ago, and it sounds easier than it would really be. It would involve redesigning the whole axle housing for larger gears. For me it seems that the smaller pumpkin is a plus for ground clearance. So it would be a bit of a trade off. TT is a issue that has been covered many times over the year in many threads in RCC and it is still around. That was one of the reasons I spent the time designing the ascender portal axle. I have no noticeable TT in testing, but like I said the cost to put them into production would be a limiting factor. And being a 68 year old retired Grandpa with a small one peson home shop I pick and chose how I spend my time. (I still want to be retired). For now just spending time tuning and reading what some others are doing to combat TT is your best option. For over under gears I'm working one a design for a motor forward plate and a transfer case with overdrive gears, or underdrive gears and both.
JMO
But I'm looking forward to helping you with your ascender!
Ernie
Actually if you just changed the pinion to a say 8t and keep the ring gear the same you would have a significant improvement. I have actually thought about retrofitting a set of scx 10.2 gears in there. You would have to get the spacing right for the pinion but otherwise it wouldn't be that hard.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I thought somebody on here helped limit the torque twist by using a twin hammers rear axle..

on the other hand.. if there is a portal knuckle out there that has a regular 1/2 inch id it can be modified to work. once I received my turned down housings from CODYBOY (thank you sir) I realized.. anything can be done with the axles. I have narrowed my front axle an inch total and made it drivers side pumpkin.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I thought somebody on here helped limit the torque twist by using a twin hammers rear axle..

on the other hand.. if there is a portal knuckle out there that has a regular 1/2 inch id it can be modified to work. once I received my turned down housings from CODYBOY (thank you sir) I realized.. anything can be done with the axles. I have narrowed my front axle an inch total and made it drivers side pumpkin.
Remember, You promised photos along the way!
Ernie
Old 03-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Remember, You promised photos along the way!
Ernie
you will get pictures. don't worry. since I screwed up once more (buy once cry once) I have to use a rear housing for the front since I need/ want to clock my c hubs just a bit and the original holes would be to close for comfort. im saving the last 2 housings for a mini 1.9 pro build.

but on a side note.. I thought for cereal somebody actually use an ascender front axle and a twin hammers rear axle for a rig. I must be mistaken.

and also so I've just heard deadlock scx10.2 portals are coming out. so I wouldn't be surprised if those could be made to work.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dose any make portal axials for ascebder - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
dose anyone make aftermarket ring & pinion ? bill mossor Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 02-14-2015 12:19 PM
what material dose everyone us too make a tube chasis hpiontherocks Newbie General 3 08-06-2008 05:41 PM
dose any one make a tube roll cage JUSTGOINGSLOW Newbie General 9 11-02-2007 04:08 PM
Dose anyone make 1/6 scale shafty alterchristopher Chit Chat 14 04-15-2006 04:59 PM