Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: CC BEC and Stock ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CC BEC and Stock ESC

I replaced my steering servo with a HITEC 654MG servo and tried installing a CC BEC to power the steering servo. Anyway, I tried to methods for setting it up.

Method one: setup the BEC as per the instructions that came with the BEC (remove red wire from ESC to RX connector and connect the BEC to the BATT/BIND port of the rx)

Method two: tried running the BEC output (red and brown) to the servo and then connected the servo signal wire only to the RX (also tried with gnd wire from servo to rx also).

With the first method, steering works ok, but when I move the throttle fwd or rev, the motor runs real slow for a few seconds, and then power kicks in. With the second method, the steering works, but when I give any throttle, the wheels turn to the right.

I have my other crawlers setup with CC BEC's and never had this issue. Any ideas?

I am back to running without the BEC right now and the steering is good, but I just thought a BEC would improve it.
aceisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: CC BEC and Stock ESC

Well, I found out the problem only occurs with Hitec, Futaba, and JR servos that I have tested. The stock TH steering and shift servo work fine, so I don't know what to think right now. I am planning on upgrading my ESC later, so I will try again then to see if the problem is still there.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceisback View Post
I replaced my steering servo with a HITEC 654MG servo and tried installing a CC BEC to power the steering servo. Anyway, I tried to methods for setting it up.

Method one: setup the BEC as per the instructions that came with the BEC (remove red wire from ESC to RX connector and connect the BEC to the BATT/BIND port of the rx)

Method two: tried running the BEC output (red and brown) to the servo and then connected the servo signal wire only to the RX (also tried with gnd wire from servo to rx also).

With the first method, steering works ok, but when I move the throttle fwd or rev, the motor runs real slow for a few seconds, and then power kicks in. With the second method, the steering works, but when I give any throttle, the wheels turn to the right.

I have my other crawlers setup with CC BEC's and never had this issue. Any ideas?

I am back to running without the BEC right now and the steering is good, but I just thought a BEC would improve it.
WTF? Never had that problem CC BEC and HiTec servos....any fix for it?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have found out it has something to do with the Tazer ESC.

I tried using different servos, RX's, and another CC BEC. I swapped out the ESC with an Axial AE2 and a CC Sidewinder, and the problem does not exist. I also installed the BEC in another one of my crawlers, and it worked fine.

I will be upgrading the ESC to a better one in the near future anyway, so i will wait and see what happens then.

Hate these kind of issues
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Like a boss...

Try removing signal wire from cc bec. I've seen that give some issue before.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceisback View Post
I have found out it has something to do with the Tazer ESC.

I tried using different servos, RX's, and another CC BEC. I swapped out the ESC with an Axial AE2 and a CC Sidewinder, and the problem does not exist. I also installed the BEC in another one of my crawlers, and it worked fine.

I will be upgrading the ESC to a better one in the near future anyway, so i will wait and see what happens then.

Hate these kind of issues
Thanks for reply and your testing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
Try removing signal wire from cc bec. I've seen that give some issue before.
Interesting....I have not opened up my CCBEC and checked, does that wire actually go anywhere and if yes, what does it connect to on the pcb?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Tried with the signal wire removed and connected. It is definitely something with the Tazer ESC though, just don't know what. I can put any other ESC with the same wiring connections, and the problem is gone.

This just gives me more reason to upgrade to a better ESC.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks for reply and your testing!

Interesting....I have not opened up my CCBEC and checked, does that wire actually go anywhere and if yes, what does it connect to on the pcb?
That wire is used for programming the BEC with the CastleLink. Other than that, I do not know why it would interfere.

CC BEC and Stock ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock ESC with Novak BEC how to. monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 0 04-27-2012 01:19 AM
Stock Ex/Rx and ESC + CC Bec =Glitch !?! Big Pitt Redcat Crawlers 21 05-08-2011 07:15 PM
BEC on stock electronics The Jackalope Redcat Crawlers 7 04-25-2011 11:34 AM
Receiver BEC (vs ESC BEC) sim Electronics 7 10-13-2005 07:54 PM