Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Used T.Hammers w/ bad shift servo, upgrade or go back stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Used T.Hammers w/ bad shift servo, upgrade or go back stock

I am getting into a used a Twin Hammers with a burnt up shift servo. I’ve test drove one that was not broken but have not gotten the chance to really look it over.

I was told the shift servo was a micro but can it be upgraded to a full size?

If not should I go back stock or should I go ahead and upgrade to a better servo?

Just trying to get an idea of what I am about to get myself into
Thanks!
TW31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Used T.Hammers w/ bad shift servo, upgrade or go back stock

hitech hs-225.-mg direct replacement metal gear servo works flawlessly after u set end points up
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Replace the shit servo with the stock steering servo and upgrade the steering servo with a titanium gear hitec.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #4

So a standard size servo can be used for the shift servo?
Sorry for the newbie questions but like I said I have never really gotten into the meat and potatoes of this rig so I don’t know what can and cannot be used.

I have a new stock steering servo from Axial that was meant for the scx10 Rubicon that I can use but would that work?
TW31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Slight mod can be done to make a standerd servo fit. To be honest though, I have had mine for a long time now and I never shift to low gear. So, I pulled the servo and zip tied the shift shaft in high gear. My 27t motor is smooth running slow or fast, so I just don't need the two speed.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
hitech hs-225.-mg direct replacement metal gear servo works flawlessly after u set end points up
X2!

I have put 15- 20 battery packs through mine with the 225 and the stock shift linkage and everything still works perfectly.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #7

I haven't had a need to replace the stock steering servo. I guess it all depends on how you drive/shift your car. If you are just going to bash it I would just say get it in high gear and keep it there. No real reason to have low gear. If you are going to be trailing/crawling I would first run it around in high gear and then move into low gear if you don't like it. I can't figure out a reason to 'upgrade' the shifting servo. As long as you set the end points properly it works flawlessly. The only thing it does is move a little rod back and forth. There isn't much pressure on it while doing so.

As far as upgrading to a larger servo. I'm sure you can. You would just have to modify the mounting position of the shifting server. I wouldn't recommend mounting with servo tape as the servo still moves a little bit during operation which could throw out your end points a little bit. I recommend breaking apart the center transmission and looking at how the 2 speed shifting works. It's pretty simple. Maybe under extreme shifting times (Top Speed) it could cause a little bit of pressure on the servo, but who shifts into low gear at top speed?
automated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
New Hitec, fix it right. When steering servo dies buy a new servo for it. Of course make sure end points are set properly and/or use a nitro truck throttle setup with the springs.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
New Hitec, fix it right. When steering servo dies buy a new servo for it. Of course make sure end points are set properly and/or use a nitro truck throttle setup with the springs.
I totally agree, first because the stock steering servo is also a POS
and also because there's no need for a standard size servo for shifting - you don't need that much torque to justify hanging additional weight high above the CG (if you do, somethings very wrong with the tranny)
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote

Used T.Hammers w/ bad shift servo, upgrade or go back stock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infectious R/C MRC Servo Mount **Back in Stock** Infectious rc Vendors Miscellaneous 28 12-31-2016 01:45 PM
Twin Hammers Shift Servo Setup Instructions from Horizon badger Vaterra Twin Hammers 28 11-27-2016 09:44 AM
Gear Head RC Twin Hammers Shift Servo Plate Gear Head RC Chassis and Suspension 3 02-25-2013 03:14 PM
Gear Head Twin Hammers Standard Servo Shift Mount RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-20-2013 06:41 PM
Back In Stock! Hitec RCD HS-7950TH SERVO RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-05-2012 10:17 AM