Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: The big wait !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The big wait !!!

Hello to all,
iv recently made the purchase of the kit form TW and researched bits and pieces and so far i have orderd:-
Asiatees aluminium front arms
Vanquish castors
Asiatees aluminium spindles
Boomerang piggy back springs
High performance ball bearing set
Still to order :-
Motor/esc combo ( thinking tekin 25t combo ) as it's available locally , I want speed for hitting jumps and also crawling capability , been out the loop for a while and forgotten what the turns eqauaites too lol (proper shots with electric!)
Ideas would be welcome!!
Front shock conversion as that seems a must and looks sooo cool
HD front axles
Rear shaft
any suggestion would be helpful 👍
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The big wait !!!

My recommendations: build it the way you want and have fun driving it!

The Twin Hammers really performs like an Ultra 4 rig; it crawls, it bounces and it flies. You'll have to take the time building/tuning it to enable to do all 3, or pick 2, or pick 1- but whichever direction you go, you'll have fun driving this rig.

My technical recommendation: get upgraded turnbuckles. If you're going with aluminum A-arms and aluminum steering components, the soft Vaterra steering and camber links will bend very quickly. You could always wait until they do bend, and then replace them, but bend they will. They could serve as a "fusible link" to save other components, but I recommend upgrading them.

Enjoy your build, and hopefully the shipping is quick!

Last edited by Fallen; 02-11-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips fallen much appreciated
Old 02-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #4

In terms of motors: I am putting a 21.5t (2100kb) HW Bandit motor in one build and a 2900kv (~15.5T) Vanguard motor in the other. From what Ive gathered on the forums 2900kv-3100kv (15t-13t) on 2s lipo seems to be a popular range for the twin hammers. If you use 3s or 4s (look into quad copter battery options) for jumping/bashing and 2s for crawling I could see a 25t motor working well. This is of course all preference and since I haven't finished my builds I cant speak from experience yet.

Fallen has some very good points. I would have to second the steering concerns. The slider rack is just plain awful and should be replaced quickly. Im in the middle of the bellcrank mod at the moment and BMRC's kit is a great option for this, but so is sr.IRIE bellcrank setup.
gvngoheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Started out with a 4 pole 3650 3500kv on 2S in my TH which worked well, but have since changed this to a 4 pole 3660 2600kv on 3S. The larger can of the 2600kv on 3S has provided more outright power and longer run times. Neither of these motors are sensored though.

I'm guessing if you plan to run a sensored motor you will get something that crawls well whilst still providing good speed
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input chaps ,
I decided to go for the castle sidewinder sv3 +esc combo in the end hopefully it should be good
HPI tf-45 transmitter and receiver
Savox waterproof sw1210sg for the steering servo and a hi-tec mighty mini for shift servo
Voltz 4000mAh 7.4v 30C Hard Case LiPo Shorty Battery for juice will this be ok ?
I'm definetly going to be hitting jumps more than crawling so hoping this should be good also
This should all be here tomorrow
So the wait continues!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It has begun !!
1st delivery of some shhweet bits :-
Shocks
Knuckles
Front arms
Bearings pack
Woohoo
Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I was going to upload a picture but I'm not allowed ??
Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #9

Thank you for sharing your experience. Im still coming to terms with Motor specs and how they relate. I always forget about the intricacies of can size to kv. One thing that Ive come to realize is that cell count gives you a trade off of motor output. For example 2s will give you more torque than a 3s setup on the same motor but the 3s will give you higher horsepower (more speed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotare View Post
Started out with a 4 pole 3650 3500kv on 2S in my TH which worked well, but have since changed this to a 4 pole 3660 2600kv on 3S. The larger can of the 2600kv on 3S has provided more outright power and longer run times. Neither of these motors are sensored though.

I'm guessing if you plan to run a sensored motor you will get something that crawls well whilst still providing good speed
willyg1981 You may need to upload your photos to flickr imgur or photobucket and then link them into your reply.
gvngoheavy is offline   Reply With Quote

The big wait !!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
But Wait, there's more! JohnB Mega/Monster Trucks 16 09-23-2016 09:26 PM
cant wait to see this chicostaxxs007 Chit Chat 25 05-30-2011 01:39 PM
cant wait hende Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 02-21-2009 03:50 PM