Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: 15t brushed to Roc412 Mamba X Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 15t brushed to Roc412 Mamba X Review

Just a quick update for those interested

So I'm all set up and have run a few packs through it to test, these are my thoughts...

The 15t was quick enough on 3s but was never going to last long, I thought it climbed and crawled OK and wasn't too bad. It ran for 35 mins with 26 tooth pinion, and mainly I just wanted it up to date technology wise and to see what everyone was going on about with brushless - would it really be that different??

Bring on the Roc412 3100kv

So, with the Mamba X set on medium start up power and a 30 tooth pinion installed I reset the mamba memory and hit the throttle....

Note 1 - Don't hit the throttle quite so hard next time, it immediately back flipped and landed back on its wheels.
The torque is pretty extreme for this little truck.

Next a few laps of the bmx track.
Note 2: stabbing the throttle from the bottom of even a small ramp results in some pretty big air time. Accelleration is massive compared to the 15t brushed.

A few speed runs...
Top speed it has to be said is relatively similar to the brushed motor with my current gearing, however, it will do it seemingly regardless of terrain. All that torque doesn't get bogged down easily. I have a feeling at this point that I could easily gear up more.

Crawling.
Crawling is completely transformed. The 15t brushed didn't have any torque for crawling. By the time you had enough throttle on to make it move it wanted to rev and spin the wheels. The Roc will edge up anything it can grip on and puts out big torque even at low revs compared to brushed.

General bashing, yep, its definitely put some life in this truck. And not only that, run time is up from 35 mins to 55 mins, same driving style and terrain. I was checking motor temp throughout and it never went over 115f

Now, a quick look at the data log from the Mamba

Peak current 75amps
max ripple 6% of battery voltage
Max esc temp 85f

I'm using a 2200mah 55c 3s pack, so no worries with these numbers. Like I said I reckon I could gear up but in all honesty its quick enough and I like the torque in low for crawling.

So to sum up, I love my Roc 412 even if I did accidentally launch my truck about 5 feet high to land on its roof. I need to learn to drive it again

Last edited by SkiSteve; 03-05-2017 at 07:48 PM.
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 15t brushed to Roc412 Mamba X Review

Oh and the mamba x set with the Aux wire to control the drag brake is awesome, exactly what I was looking for and worked first time with no issues. It allows you to hack around trails and then flick it into first gear and crawl up and down slopes with complete control. Very impressed
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

So here it is in current format, now considering gcm axle truss, worth it?

Oh I'm still waiting on castle bullets before I tidy up the wiring a bit.

Last edited by SkiSteve; 03-20-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Love these Tekin roc 412 motor. However they are very expensive to get in Europe. How cn you change your batterys when the cage is mounted?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GEM-702L met Tapatalk
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

The cage is only 6 screws, the 2 at the front stay in and I just fold the hole cage over. It really doesn't take long to change a battery but I guess it is a little annoying. I get abour an hour out of the 3s doing a mix of bashing and crawling so 5 mins changing a battery doesn't bother me