Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Possible to gear down only the low speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Possible to gear down only the low speed?

Hey all,

So I am fairly new to the RC hobby, and have been reading (here Simple Guide to RC Gearing – Radio Control Tips) up on how gearing works, how motors work, etc. I understand that to make my rig slower I want a (tooth count) smaller pinion gear or larger spur gear, and I understand lower turn motors are faster than higher turn motors.

My question is specifically about the 2-speed transmission in the TH. Is is possible to change individual gear sets? IE. Swap out the "low" speed spur gear with a much higher tooth count to gear my TH way down for crawling in the "low" gear, while maintaining the speed of the "high" speed?
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Possible to gear down only the low speed?

To my knowledge there are no optional gear sets available for the TW transmission.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Not that I'm aware of either but I haven't actually looked. Are you using the stock 15t brushed motor?
With the stock motor I got best results with a 24 tooth pinion but it wasn't that quick in high. The stock motor lacks torque so you need to gear for either speed or crawling but the 2 speed allows fair performance for both. Brushless is the answer if you want everything

Last edited by SkiSteve; 03-24-2017 at 05:47 PM.
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSteve View Post
Not that I'm aware of either but I haven't actually looked. Are you using the stock 15t brushed motor?
With the stock motor I got best results with a 24 tooth pinion but it wasn't that quick in high. The stock motor lacks torque so you need to gear for either speed or crawling but the 2 speed allows fair performance for both. Brushless is the answer if you want everything
My whole truck is stock right now, but I'm putting together lists of parts for the build I have in mind. I want to build a trail truck that can crawl well but still have the ability to do high speed dirt racing. Thats why I was wondering if you could change gear sets individually. If you can't then is will probably swap the motor to a higher turn one and change gears to try and get a decent balance.
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I think your best bet for all round performance would be to go 3s with a compatible motor and gear down. You'll struggle for speed on 2s without over gearing
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Possible to gear down only the low speed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial 48P 2-Speed Low Gear (18T) mark32 Axial Yeti 3 01-03-2015 10:33 PM
Low..Low gear Mod for 1/18th vader General Crawlers 3 04-06-2006 06:43 AM
the low down on the xtra low gear mod heeper40 General Crawlers 9 02-02-2006 12:35 PM