Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Miscellaneous

Notices

Thread: Dear Customers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Dear Customers...

I have been having serious problems with my computer the last few days. I have not been able to access email properly, my browser is screwing up, I cant read memory cards, and in general things are just mucked up. Banners are not even showing up in my browser for some reason and my system keeps crashing.

I have a new computer on the way since my laptop doesn't cut the mustard anymore, I should be back and running at full speed again on Tuesday. Thanks for understanding.

JRH
Holmes Hobbies
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Ouch... What new computer did you get.. MAC?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Ouch... What new computer did you get.. MAC?

got a custom built PC, windows XP.

dual 2.4 ghz, 1280mhz frontside bus i think
4 gig ram
400 gig HD
dual monitor
dual dvd
650 watt power supply
and some other little bits.

I thought about getting a mac, but I would have to rebuy all my editing software, another $500+ I am not willing to spend. My laptop is gonna get formatted and cleaned. The new desktop should allow me to edit pics while uploading and changing my website at the same time as keeping an email client running. I waste about 1 hour a day waiting on my computer to think, so the computer will pay for itself in added productivity pretty fast. Opening any pics on my current system takes a minutes per pic, not including the time to open photochop.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You are going to love dual monitors. I use it on my laptop in the garage and I can irc, read websites and watch a movie while sitting there drinking a beer, smoking a cigar and wrenching on rcs.

THAT'S multitasking.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey! That's just like my new PC, except half RAM, half processors but a little more than double the harddrive space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post

4 gig ram
400 gig HD
dual monitor
dual dvd
650 watt power supply

I thought about getting a mac, but I would have to rebuy all my editing software, another $500+ I am not willing to spend. My laptop is gonna get formatted and cleaned. The new desktop should allow me to edit pics while uploading and changing my website at the same time as keeping an email client running. I waste about 1 hour a day waiting on my computer to think, so the computer will pay for itself in added productivity pretty fast. Opening any pics on my current system takes a minutes per pic, not including the time to open photochop.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:

4 gig ram
400 gig HD
dual monitor
dual dvd
650 watt power supply

Dual monitors are the bomb. I use dual LCD 21's at work on the CAD station and I come home to a single 17" CRT and feel somehow cheapened
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

You could have bought a Mac, and as long as it was Intel based, you could run boot camp and installed XP... or run Parallels
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_life View Post
You could have bought a Mac, and as long as it was Intel based, you could run boot camp and installed XP... or run Parallels
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a mac?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

no not at all the apple soft were is kinda hard to use if you been using windows for a long time
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
no not at all the apple soft were is kinda hard to use if you been using windows for a long time

I have been using windows for 13 years or so. I used mac's at school in 6th grade, but they were apple back then. I think they were Apple II GE's or something. Pretty sure they were the fancy color monitor type
Old 07-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8541 View Post
eta on that computer?

cant wait for ya to be up and more fuctional than ever
Should be done monday, if they dont have to order in anything for it. I can't wait either. I have never had a really nice computer.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

It'll be outdated in 6 months.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
It'll be outdated in 6 months.
It is already outdated. Intel released a faster frontside bus chip and Quad processor motherboards are available. The machine I am buying isn't any different then the one I bought 5 years ago except the fronside bus and ram speed, dual processors, the motherboard allows raid drives, and up to 6 harddrives instead of 4.

I feel like a nerd now
Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
It is already outdated. Intel released a faster frontside bus chip and Quad processor motherboards are available. The machine I am buying isn't any different then the one I bought 5 years ago except the fronside bus and ram speed, dual processors, the motherboard allows raid drives, and up to 6 harddrives instead of 4.

I feel like a nerd now
mmmmmm, all of us CAD nerds are drooling over the 4 processor boards....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
mmmmmm, all of us CAD nerds are drooling over the 4 processor boards....

I can see a point in the future where we will have 32 processor boards, unless we somehow get past the silicon barrier. Wouldn't it be much cheaper to use 4 1gig chips than one 4 gig? Kinda like how Castle uses 3 banks of FETs instead of 3 huge fets on the controllers.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The problem with counting on processor cores rather than Mhz is that parallelizing in most current software sucks. That said, many OS's have supported SMP systems for some time, so while it doesn't help on any one program, if you (like me) run a lot of stuff at the same time, then it helps. I've been running nothing but dual or better processor systems since Tyan released the first Tomcat board, capable of running two Pentium 166 CPU's - a later release was capable of supporting 233mmx CPU's.

Unless the software gets better, it's going to keep on requiring Mhz to really get things done, but multiple cores will help those of us who are hard core users, compiling software, running 8 or 10 programs at once, and generally beating the piss out of a system.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
06 Super National Champ

Shoot, I'm still using an Asus P4B266 with an Intel 1.8GHz P4 running at 2.25GHz.

1 Gig of RAM, DVD drive, 200 Gig internal and a 200 Gig external.

Has either a 400 or 450W power supply and an aluminum LianLi case with the 3 floppy disks removed and a 5" LCD installed.

Have an All-in-Wonder 9600 running duals and a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 running one.

Works great for now, when it starts acting up like yours it'll get new guts.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #18

I thought about a LianLI case, but decided against it because of the extra time and cost. I really like my other one though, has a big plexi window and the rest is stainless.

I went through today and cleaned up my laptop. Got rid of a ton of startup proggys that I didn't install. Suddenly my email (except one account) and my browsers are working fine again.

Oh well, at least I have a badass computer on the way! I called today and the estimate of being done yesterday turned into friday :(
Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

You should have built it yourself. Not a big deal if you can tune up rc cars .
Or is it the components that delayed it?
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #20

The motherboard was out of stock. I would build it myself but I am not to savy about the bios settings and getting all of the drivers installed correctly and in harmony. Good thing about where I bought it from is that they supply ALL of the disks and are very willing to teach when the time comes. This way if I ever need to reinstall a driver for whatever, I have the disk on hand.