Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Would you buy one after the live build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Would you buy one after the live build?

Would you buy a creeper after watching the live build?

I liked the articulation and the truck looked like it could climb well enough but there were many build hang ups and in the end they got the truck running.

I would have to say I would NOT buy a creeper. Seems like venom needs to have better QC with there kits. Missing parts, wrong parts, and parts poorly machined. Also the main feature (being able to lock and unlock the diff) of this crawlers did not seem to work well and only worked on one of the two axles. I'll be sticking with Axial.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i don't know.
it's not the way that it went together or anything that the live brodcast did.
other than the " lock-unlock " coolness factor, i don't think that venom does it for me.

the axial has my vote, and that will be my next rig.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

you are right guys...just told that in the official thread...but no answer yet...
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #4

I like mine. I've built plenty of kits and other than a few XRAY kits none of them were perfect. With proper adjustment and a little wear-in (plastic on plastic wear) the diff lock system being manual switched works fine. I'm still waiting for the servo remote parts. But it does work good with manual switching. Once you understand that the locking pins have to be aligned with the holes you can lock and unlock it with ease.

I'm not sure just by watching a webcast of a build you can make a fair comparision of the abilities of the rig. Yes they may have had some issues with the build, but once it's together and working it's worth the minor set back. I really was suprised at it abilities. Much more than I was expecting.
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Remember too that there have been many updates to the kit by Venom. The kit they built on the live build was an early one.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Why? Who did the live build?
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #7

I had no problems with the build, it would have been easier with separated bags...but seriously it wasn't that hard. As far as the locking-unlocking, maybe I got lucky because no problems there either. I had no missing parts, but I did have one of the overheated axles.....Venom sent me a couple replacements, not just one. I hear a lot of people say that it's not worth it unless you build your own kit, I guess people like kits that toddlers can put together (where's the fun in that?)

As far as missing parts, from what I've heard its only been a few screws 90% of the time. Don't bash the kit just because you have an axial. I like the axials but bought this one. Don't be a sheep, make your own decision.

What I don't like about the venom is the shock mounts, I will be romoving the battery tray and putting in frame cross-members to retain chasis strength.

Anyways buy what you want, build what you want, and have fun.
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
I would have to say I would NOT buy a creeper. Seems like venom needs to have better QC with there kits.
What make you say that?

Quote:
Missing parts,
Our kit did not have a single missing part, not sure where you got that.

Quote:
wrong parts,
We had all the right parts in our kit???

Quote:
and parts poorly machined.
Every single part in our kit went right together just how it was supposed to. I am not sure where you got all this info?

Did you watch the same live build that I was part of or was there another one going on somewhere else?

Quote:
Also the main feature (being able to lock and unlock the diff) of this crawlers did not seem to work well and only worked on one of the two axles.
Not sure if that is the main feature of this rig or not, it is an additional part that you purchase, it's a hop up. No it didn't function correctly right when we put it on, but just like any dig system you put into a rig this is something that needs to be tweaked on and adjusted just right to work reliably, I guarantee I'll have the locker setup working good here soon. Also you can make both lockers selectable, I only got the kit to do one of them.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #9

I still plan to buy one but didn't have enough time to watch the entire build.

I just wish more companies would add "toys" like the remote locking diffs. I'm a gadget hog... already bought a Spektrum 6i for this rig (2 chans for throttle / steering, 1 for dig, 2 for locking axles, leaving one channel left for future center locking diff maybe? lol).

Will the build video be posted online as a download? I'd love to watch the whole thing.

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevek View Post
I had no problems with the build, it would have been easier with separated bags...but seriously it wasn't that hard. As far as the locking-unlocking, maybe I got lucky because no problems there either. I had no missing parts, but I did have one of the overheated axles.....Venom sent me a couple replacements, not just one. I hear a lot of people say that it's not worth it unless you build your own kit, I guess people like kits that toddlers can put together (where's the fun in that?)

As far as missing parts, from what I've heard its only been a few screws 90% of the time. Don't bash the kit just because you have an axial. I like the axials but bought this one. Don't be a sheep, make your own decision.

What I don't like about the venom is the shock mounts, I will be romoving the battery tray and putting in frame cross-members to retain chasis strength.

Anyways buy what you want, build what you want, and have fun.
The shocks mounts are the only thing I don't like either. I will eventually
be changing that out and prolly getting rid of battery tray. I got one of the early kits and eveything was there. The only thing that was a PITA
was finding the right screws. Venom has fixed that issue. I also snapped
a stub axle and got replacements very quickly. customer support is
2nd to none.

Quote:

I liked the articulation and the truck looked like it could climb well enough but there were many build hang ups and in the end they got the truck running.

I would have to say I would NOT buy a creeper. Seems like venom needs to have better QC with there kits. Missing parts, wrong parts, and parts poorly machined. Also the main feature (being able to lock and unlock the diff) of this crawlers did not seem to work well and only worked on one of the two axles. I'll be sticking with Axial.
I am a noobie to crawling but, isnt everybody that has an Axial lock their
diffs. This is permanent right. I think I will just leave mine locked. If I am missing something hear please clarify.
ktmkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Im still looking forward to mine arriving!! Looks like a cool out of the box setup.
RoCk SkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:

X2 to Jason's responces....

Grim: What live feed were you watching? One thing that really amazed me with your observations() was the fit and finish statement! Did you see anyone at the build even use a a blade to even trim off flashing or anything? I was there and saw none of that, Heck with the ax10 everything had a little burr or something to clean off And as for building spped etal...none of us had ever built one so mistakes happen, heck we could build an Axia with blindfoldes on All is good...thanks
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nope. not for me. I will be holding out for the Losi 1/10 crawler. I hate having to go to work. Damb I always miss the good stuff.Nothing I seen makes me go OOOOOOOh. So I will continue to hold my $$$ for the Losi. Sorry Venom you just don't do it for me. Someday I will get to see all the kool stuff going on in the live build threads. I was not going to read 145 pages of question and answers. Thanks guys for all the hard work. I would rather have the new Axial Scaler than the Venom. Just me.CYA.
WrenchHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

I should of made my post more clear. Sorry. I have been searching the forums and was just reporting what other people have said (missing parts and what not)

If you look around the Venom thread you will see plenty of people who either had missing parts, wrong parts, or poorly machined parts.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I love mine & have had no problems so far!!
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #16

The only problem I've had with mine is a 3s Lipo and a 7T Puller, snapped both driveshafts playing around on carpet.
drivenlifteds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If you look around the Venom thread you will see plenty of people who either had missing parts, wrong parts, or poorly machined parts.
It's a new kit, on the market for what- a couple weeks? They stand behind it and don't cover up some of the initial issues. Part of the hobby means thinking outside the box sometimes to make stuff work, sometimes substituting a different screw or something. I'd bet any minor issues already are or will shortly be resolved. It's a kit, after all.

In the mean time, these don't require much work-
MuddyOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
RCC Addict

the discussion about about the cut off break got me pretty interested on picking up a kit
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #19

ya I would like to see the vid as a download. I missed the building of the axles, and thats where i am at in my build.
fjmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #20

Just have to give my two cents, I had no missing or miss matched parts, build went smooth. I did get the bad CVD's that were brittle and Paul got right back to me about it and mailed some out(haven't got them yet so I am still down:-(). I love the creeper so far and did bust a center drive shaft - pin pulled throught he plastic, but I was messing around in the house on carped and had the wheels wrapped in a blanket (you should not drink and drive). I fxed that with the rustler output yokes, pretty beefy and rustler shafts. So over all, as a crawling newbie but been around RC for 15+ years, I say it is good. My two cents!!
USMCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote