Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Venom denies problems with locker..also quick fix..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #1

Default Venom denies problems with locker..also quick fix..

So, 1st post..had to join and make a point about my venom crawler...Ive read a LOT of reviews about people complaining about the lockring not engaging the ring gear and or popping out after slid in...

Well I happen to stumble on a cheap quick fix..I will try to post pics when I get my camera some batteries..

Either way take a light brite peg and cut the tip off and slide it into the sliding chamber and when you tighten the screw it pushes it in there and keeps the ring fully engaged..Been playing in the house for 20 minutes and no pop out...

Another thing. My 1st lock ring had a bent peg. I called Venom up and they said that they havent had 1 single problem with the ring nor has anyone else called complaining. They sent me out a new ring that had 2 longer pegs and 1 shorter one..same problem it keeps popping out. Venom told me that since no one has called regaurding the problem the figured it was just a fluke..People need to start calling venom (which they are a pita to get ahold of) and notify them of the problems regaurding there set up.

I know some of you just jbweld or glue or weld the set up and havent looked back..but if what Venom is saying to be true...People need to be calling and informing them so they can revise there set up!!!

Thanks again, and go rob a light bright peg from your kids..I chose green.
shroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #2

I also had the unlocking problem, The next morning after the build was done, I e-mailed customer service, in less than 10 min. I got a response from Paul who recommened that I tighten the switch cover screw just a little bit more until I could hear a good solid CLICK from the switch. I did it and haven't had a problem since...Just my 2 cents..this thing is a blast!
SKIPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Right, they told me that too..but to no change..Like I said first ring had a bent peg, the 2nd one had 2 longs 1 short..but they told me and the hobby shop manager, no one has emailed with problems regaurding the set up...Oh yeah its a blast..30 minutes now and Im about to pop in the other battery cause IM actually getting to play with it now like it should be...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i am going to try making mine tight.... see what happens.... remember these are plastic so there is going to be some slop... if they were alum i dont think there would be a problem.... not all of it just the shifting stuff....
scubadaveojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Somebody from Venom is usually watching this forum 24/7.
This is a new Crawler and there will be a few minor issues.
Including mine. Venom has always gotten back to me very quickly
and resolved my problems as well as others. I think you will have
a good chance of getting in contact with Venom here. I also had
the problem of my diffs unlocking by themselves. I did the nylon
washer mod and it works great now. I plan on leaving mine locked
so this is o.k. for now. I have not yet really test mine out yet due
to weather, but I have crawled over everything in the house except
for the cat. This thing is awesome. I can't wait to hit some rocks.
ktmkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Wth?? lol..well, like I said, I love the crawler..just trying to get a hold of someone on the phone (so far) has taken me forever. And whoever spoke with the manager at the hobby shop i took the part back to told me that they havent had any negative feedback on the locker....

Its neither here or there, last time I spoke with them, they said no one has complained and I mentioned rccrawler.com and everyones issue with it not working properly and was told if they get more comments they would look into it..

BAH!!! Either way im out crawling on things..its weird though cause my front end hasnt slipped once!! just the rear..

Hopefully something gets resolved..Not like I can get a refund right
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Your funny shroom if you look at every thread there is one common thing... these are awesome crawlers and the locker disengaging. I fixed my'n with super glue, one guy put a axial spool in the diff, one welded his spiders. Read some please!
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

My Kids are in their 20's and don't play with Lite-Brites so I fixed it like a man with a welder jk

Every RC Car ever made has had some problem or another, sure some more than others but this is a nice rig over all.

Steve
vegaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaracer View Post
My Kids are in their 20's and don't play with Lite-Brites so I fixed it like a man with a welder jk
Steve
I fixed my 1:1 crawler like that.
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
So, 1st post..had to join and make a point about my venom crawler...Ive read a LOT of reviews about people complaining about the lockring not engaging the ring gear and or popping out after slid in...

Well I happen to stumble on a cheap quick fix..I will try to post pics when I get my camera some batteries..

Either way take a light brite peg and cut the tip off and slide it into the sliding chamber and when you tighten the screw it pushes it in there and keeps the ring fully engaged..Been playing in the house for 20 minutes and no pop out...

Another thing. My 1st lock ring had a bent peg. I called Venom up and they said that they havent had 1 single problem with the ring nor has anyone else called complaining. They sent me out a new ring that had 2 longer pegs and 1 shorter one..same problem it keeps popping out. Venom told me that since no one has called regaurding the problem the figured it was just a fluke..People need to start calling venom (which they are a pita to get ahold of) and notify them of the problems regaurding there set up.

I know some of you just jbweld or glue or weld the set up and havent looked back..but if what Venom is saying to be true...People need to be calling and informing them so they can revise there set up!!!

Thanks again, and go rob a light bright peg from your kids..I chose green.
What are you trying to accomplish with this post?

If you've made it to RCC and to the Venom forum you know that they have staff here for support.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys, is there still an issue with your locker or have you sorted it out?

Chris

Let me add, we are not denying there is a problem with the design or parts. If there is flaw in your particular part we will replace it, no problem. We have not had tons of complaints or issues with the product therefore we are not concerned at this time. Since its a new product line we expect some things will need to be adjusted and many of you have been very supportive and we thank you for that.

Last edited by CRAWLINGAROUND; 02-12-2009 at 04:11 PM.
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #12

Default Locker

I too just built a venom and cant get it to lock out either ,the best thing is my kit was missing all kinds of parts ,and it was brand new sealed up i got customer service 5 days later they responded and i never told them about locking issues so i figured id come here hope i can fix it cause a like this thing
SLASH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #13

Default Your pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
so, 1st post..had to join and make a point about my venom crawler...ive read a lot of reviews about people complaining about the lockring not engaging the ring gear and or popping out after slid in...

Well i happen to stumble on a cheap quick fix..i will try to post pics when i get my camera some batteries..

Either way take a light brite peg and cut the tip off and slide it into the sliding chamber and when you tighten the screw it pushes it in there and keeps the ring fully engaged..been playing in the house for 20 minutes and no pop out...

Another thing. My 1st lock ring had a bent peg. I called venom up and they said that they havent had 1 single problem with the ring nor has anyone else called complaining. They sent me out a new ring that had 2 longer pegs and 1 shorter one..same problem it keeps popping out. Venom told me that since no one has called regaurding the problem the figured it was just a fluke..people need to start calling venom (which they are a pita to get ahold of) and notify them of the problems regaurding there set up.

I know some of you just jbweld or glue or weld the set up and havent looked back..but if what venom is saying to be true...people need to be calling and informing them so they can revise there set up!!!

Thanks again, and go rob a light bright peg from your kids..i chose green.
can u send me pics of the fix to jon1sit@aol.com
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The main thing is to make sure the red ring can slide easy on the brass bushing and the pins go in all the way into the bevel gear. Then when assembled you need to carefully set the dust cover tension (that has the detent molded on it) with the screw so the cover keeps the locker in place. If all this is done step by step it should work fine. You will hear a loud click each time. If there is a bad part, like the pins are short in the ring or the bevel gear is bad then it will not work well so contact us about it as soon as you notice it.

Chris
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Maybe his cover is on upsidedown? No detent,or click,just a thought?
Straightjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #16

Default No clickor anything

It wont move at all used to stay but pops out of place under stress so i fixed it with solid washer i used a metal washer with grease should work fits perfectly
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #17

I had to rebuild mine twice, and I have had no problems with it unlocking since.
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #18

Default Locker

Well did the washer unit instead of messing with the switch and it works also works under pressure ran for a hour hard even pulled chair around with it it works
Old 02-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I've had mine in some pretty hard jams and have not had one of the lockers open up. I will try and post some video this weekend.

I see some parts that people have broken on this site and wonder how that happens. I seem to have gotten a good kit with no problems.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote