Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Need Ideas For Cut Brake setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need Ideas For Cut Brake setup

ok, so i have a mg645 mounted on my rear axle just like the front steering servo is. I have a big servo saver. I am going to attach some aluminum rods using rod ends and balls to the saver, which will be driven into the wheels spokes to lock one up when the diff is unlocked.

problem is I am looking for something somewhat off the shelf to run the rods thru to guide them into the "sweetspot" of the wheel (not into the rim and not into the hub part) where it will jam the wheel up.

just having a hard time finding something to do the guiding part.

I have tried joining two rod ends together and mounting to the bolt on top of the Chub.

OH and this is important, I have flipped my Chub to the other side like in the picture.

I've run out of ideas, I am sure we can come up with something and have a sweet parts list for a DIY cut brake. I can take photos of what it looks like when i get home if that helps!
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I am starting to get the feeling I am the only one who thinks a cut brake would be sweet on an RC crawler. with the creeper, it's just asking for one.... check this short read out.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kes/index.html
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Its been on my mind for awhile, I have a few ideas but am unsure on how they will work, I will keep ya posted if I go that route. I made a driveling dig today. The centered driveline is proving to be a hassle to mount it though....Ill work on it this weekend and see if I can get it done.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Let me see if i can help. You want to make a cut brake by sliding a rod off of a servo horn into the spokes on the wheel to stop it and use the diff to force it around.

I would get some 1/4 inch tubing from the hardware store and make two sliders, maybe an inch long, and bracket them to the axle where you need it with aluminum stock. Then just run a solid steel smooth rod through them and attach the servo to it to move it left and right in the sliders to lock the wheels. I would worry about damage to the wheels eventually but i would start like this since its cheap and if it doesnt work you wont be out much money.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Let me see if i can help. You want to make a cut brake by sliding a rod off of a servo horn into the spokes on the wheel to stop it and use the diff to force it around.

I would get some 1/4 inch tubing from the hardware store and make two sliders, maybe an inch long, and bracket them to the axle where you need it with aluminum stock. Then just run a solid steel smooth rod through them and attach the servo to it to move it left and right in the sliders to lock the wheels. I would worry about damage to the wheels eventually but i would start like this since its cheap and if it doesnt work you wont be out much money.
thats basicly what i was after, just coming up with a way to guide the rod in to the right spot between the spokes of the wheel.

maybe i am taking the wrong angle at this. perhaps the tire, obvously a much larger target would work just as well, i would of course sand the end of the rod smooth as not to cut the tire up. the added benifit would be tire is already grippy, where the wheel is just slippy
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

Perhaps you could place a brake disk on the wheel hex(something like whats on a Savage or similiar) and use the rods to push against it. Better yet Why couldn't you use the little calipers to squeeze up against it. That would be a sweet little set-up.
oscaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaroc View Post
Perhaps you could place a brake disk on the wheel hex(something like whats on a Savage or similiar) and use the rods to push against it. Better yet Why couldn't you use the little calipers to squeeze up against it. That would be a sweet little set-up.
what calipers do you speak of?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

like on a car, the pads are pressed aginst the drum or the roater.... it is what slows you down.... kind of like a clamping effect.
scubadaveojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #9

I'm unsure if they call them calipers. The one I have seen resemble a brake caliper with a replacable lining on them.

I would be interested to see someone build this. As I have zero skills.
oscaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I plan to use a modified pedal bike brake shoe to just push up against the rim/tire.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1\4elliptic toy View Post
I plan to use a modified pedal bike brake shoe to just push up against the rim/tire.
I plan to use a modified chicken bone to just push up against the rim/tire.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I plan to use a modified chicken bone to just push up against the rim/tire.
On second thought...

Maybe a lever above the c hub, with a pad on one side and a rod connecting to the servo arm pulling aganst the lever
Old 02-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture for an idea of what is going on in terms of the guide for the rod. im not even sure what this part is from , but had it in my tool box, and seems like it almost works.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

by the way, that is a carpet car rear hub
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

so we know carpet car rear hubs do not work!

know of a rear hub that will sit lower mounted like this?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #16

I assume you are trying to do something similar to a full size car? Or maybe something like this? These are brakes that I make for the 1/5 scale HPI Baja. I don't think there is anywhere near enough room inside of the 2.2 wheels for a disc brake set-up.

Another option to consider would be something that locks the axle when the diff is unlocked. similar to a DIG set-up but on the actual axle. This would require some significant brain-storming and machining though.
BajaSkunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSkunkworks View Post
I assume you are trying to do something similar to a full size car? Or maybe something like this? These are brakes that I make for the 1/5 scale HPI Baja. I don't think there is anywhere near enough room inside of the 2.2 wheels for a disc brake set-up.

Another option to consider would be something that locks the axle when the diff is unlocked. similar to a DIG set-up but on the actual axle. This would require some significant brain-storming and machining though.
thats a trick setup you have going there!

as for the dig, it may just be best to wait and see how it works once the dig is out. if we can remote unlock the diff and lock the dig, i dont know how much better a cut break would really be VS. how much effort it would take to get it to work like i want it to. I know there is a way, i just dont have the machine shop to build what I want, nor do i want to pay gobs of money for one to be built for me. I like to DIY, but am running out of ideas on this one.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #18

Just read thruogh this forum an have a mill in the shop. I'm going to
try to make this lock.
catcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrawler View Post
Just read thruogh this forum an have a mill in the shop. I'm going to
try to make this lock.
very cool! if you wind up with something decent, should be an easy sell!