Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Bondo's Creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #1

Default Bondo's Creeper

Long time RC guy here, since I was a kid in the early 80's. Still have many of my old cars/trucks from then too. So I am just getting into rc crawling. I do it with my Jeeps too. Anyway, I just have a roller now and want to get opinions on motor/esc. I am thinking about the Tekin FXR with the 45T motor. What is different on the 45T pro? Would you suggest a 55T motor? Thanks in advance.

-bondo

Here is my creeper
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I have the FXR with the 45t in mine and I love it, but I just ordered the FXR with the 55t for my sons creeper (thats was just because tower was out of the 45t), but I think it will do just fine too. I have looked and I can't figure what it the difference from the pro other than $30.
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The FXR is a great ESC. As for a motor, I like to run the lower turm motors. I run a 25t in my Creeper on 3S Lipo and it seems to be a good set up.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the info..... I have a question about the diff lock. The front engages really easily but the rear is not as smooth but not hard to get in either. I rebuilt the rear twice now and it is much better. When the remote diff lock is installed, how smooth does the diff lock need to be to operate correctly? Make any sense?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #5

I finally got all of the electronics and drove it for the first time yesterday.

Just awesome!!!

Electronics are as follows....

Spektrum DX5e radio
Hitec HS-645MG steering servo
Tekin FXR ESC with 45T motor
CC BEC set at 6 amp

I was using a 1 1/2 year old battery NiCd 1900mAh and ran for an hour with charge left on it too.

What I noticed is that it likes to hang up on the skid plate!?!?!?!?

I still have to connect and adjust the remote diff lock for the front. It is installed just not connected. I also did the mod for the rear with the nylon washer so it is locked all of the time.

2 Questions.....

1. Seems like the diff lock is going to be a pain to get going correctly, Anyone have luck with this?

2. Is it normal with the BEC hooked to have the steering servo work when the battery plugged in and the switch is off? Everything works perfect when the switch is on.

Thanks,
bondo
Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yea, the skid will drag. There are ways to fix it, just check out other people's rigs.

As far as the diff lock, I permentally locked my rear (I put a washer inside the gap of the sliding part and the diff housing. For the front I'm using the remote diff lock with the spring mod so that the spring pushes the sliding part in forcing it into the lock position and the servo pulls it out to unlock it.

Since you installed the CC BEC you are bypassing the ESC to power the servo. So yes it is normal for the servo to be on when the switch is turned off since the switch only turns the ESC off and the ESC is no longer powering the receiver/servo's. I just leave my switch turned on (or hard wire the cables together to eliminate the switch all together) and just plug the battery in to turn the rig on.
Squadfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #7

Squadfer...thanks for the reply..... I put the washer in the rear axle and it works great. When I get some time, I will work on the front remote lock. At least I know that someone got it to work. Like I said before, this is just awesome. The articulation is just ridiculous and it is amazing to watch it crawl over everything and really see how the suspension works.

I have been doing this with my 1:1 for years, I can't believe it took me this long to get an RC crawler.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hi Bondo,

The remote locks are difficult to get working, the best solution seems to be to put a compression spring over the wire and against the diff arm to help it lock, or I've use a tension spring tied from the arm to the shock mount.

And where are those wheeling pics from? The water crossing looks like Tellico and the other 2 look like Paragon (RIP:-(). I've been to both several times in my Jeep, and being in Ontario maybe you have some suggested destinations around NY?

Here's my Jeep:
http://ovo.ca/delormer/

Richard
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver View Post
Hi Bondo,

The remote locks are difficult to get working, the best solution seems to be to put a compression spring over the wire and against the diff arm to help it lock, or I've use a tension spring tied from the arm to the shock mount.

And where are those wheeling pics from? The water crossing looks like Tellico and the other 2 look like Paragon (RIP:-(). I've been to both several times in my Jeep, and being in Ontario maybe you have some suggested destinations around NY?

Here's my Jeep:
http://ovo.ca/delormer/

Richard
Richard,

Nice YJ. Lots of good mods going on there. All three of those pics were from 3 different trips to Paragon . Man, do I miss that place. As far as I know, aside from private land, there is not one legal place to wheel in NY. Paragon was so good. Only about 2 1/2 hours from me. I am actually thinking about doing the Jeep Jamboree in the Catskills this September.

Here is my other Jeep. 1948 Willys CJ-2A. Doing a ground up resto on it.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Now that I looked at it again, I think I did cross that creek once but the water level was lower. Paragon was great, some of our club members have been to Rausch Creek and enjoyed it, they're going back next weekend. I'll have to try to get there some time, it's only 7 1/2 hours away for us ;)

Sucks about no trails in NY, so far we've been lucky up here. At least I have the R/Cs to fall back on I started R/Cing in the mid 80s so I have a few classics too: AYK Sidewinder, Tamiya Lunch Box, Clod, Bruiser, and Hornet. But right now the Creeper is getting all of my time. Good luck with your's.

Richard
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bondo's Creeper

Me Likey the Willys and the paint on the Creeper.
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I also built a 1979 Toyota 4x4 , I did a little bit of crawlin in California but it took about 3 years befor I saw the first Rc crawler !!
I am glad I bought the creeper , overall awesome crawler.

X2 on your jeep and your creeper paint job
santa cruz crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Holy crap..this thread came from clear back at page 70 of the forum...and with how I have the forums set for viewing in my preferences...there's only 76 pages total.

Resurrection........
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #14

Wow!!!! what an old thread. Thanks for the compliments on the Jeep and the Creeper. I think that was the first time a used an airbrush when I painted that body.

-bondo
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
Wow!!!! what an old thread. Thanks for the compliments on the Jeep and the Creeper. I think that was the first time a used an airbrush when I painted that body.

-bondo
It was weird to see this pop up...I read the thread about a year ago. when I went through every thread in the forum.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote