Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Tranny=Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tranny=Problems

Hey guys, i was putting my transmission together and when i got it together it is smooth till i hits this one spot where i ca't turn it with my fingers, i was wondering if this is normal and if i just need to drive it out,

Thanks

Flalg
Flagbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

It will work itself out. Mine was the same.
88_Pathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Ya might want to take it apart and make sure one of the gears does not have a bad tooth... mine was HARD to turn by hand and not smooth at all... I could still turn it by hand full revolutions... after half a dozen packs the trans and diffs smoothed right up.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Run it, flag. I'm headin out to Watson tomorrow. Get it done.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ya run it and it should loosen up my did anyway.
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Run it, flag. I'm headin out to Watson tomorrow. Get it done.
haha I'm gonna try, heading to lhs today to get my motor, and I'll try and talk my dad into going out there
Flagbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Question Proper Motor setting

Can anyone tell me the proper way to seat the motor to the tranny ? Someone told me to stick a peiece of paper between them and tighten it down and then remove the paper .... any truth to this ? Is there a better way to do it since they dont give you a whole lot of extra room to play with ?
CleptoLeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the proper way to seat the motor to the tranny ? Someone told me to stick a peiece of paper between them and tighten it down and then remove the paper .... any truth to this ? Is there a better way to do it since they dont give you a whole lot of extra room to play with ?

The paper trick does work well... however givin the sealed trans and like you say little room I don't know if it will work on the creeper...myself i just eyeball the gear mesh... after meshing several hundred pinions to spurs ya kinda just "know" what right and wrong
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The gears will break in true but make sure there isnt some plastic stub or flashing thats in the way. Those gears are very well molded parts and there should not be any hang ups. Tight but smooth with almost zero backlash is the right build result. Make sure you installed the red spacers too. Use a medium grease and thats all it takes.

To set the pinion gear your looking for a tiny bit of backlash between the gears. How much is tough to define but lets say you should see daylight but barely, remember paper thick and actually receipt paper thick is best not notebook paper...lol You will "feel" the gear play and see it as you slide the motor over and keep the screws slightly tight to keep and more true alignment as you adjust things. Then just cinch down a screw and keep checking until the screws are tight. Use a dab of blue thread lock on the motor screw holes and the pinion gear first!

Chris
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote