Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Suggestions for venom build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Suggestions for venom build

Hello all, I’m looking for a little advice.

I am researching and pricing out different crawler kits to get and I have settled on a creeper. I should be ready to buy something within the next few weeks and I plan on buying pretty much everything at once, treating myself for Christmas one last time before the baby comes. Anyways, I do not really plan on doing any comps, just really playing around with friends in my back yard. I just recently sold my 1:1 and I found that it was built too well, and had no real challenge anymore, at least not anywhere local. As for the creeper, the biggest reason I am interested in this one is because of the selectable lockers. I plan on having them unlocked most of the time, challenging my driving skills more. I would also like to have dig and probably 4ws.

My budget is probably going to be close to $1000, and as I said earlier, I would like to get almost everything with this initial purchase. I have picked out almost everything on ckrc, I would like to just buy from one source. I would like some guidance with my selections of parts so far. So far I have picked out:

Green Creeper kit
Factory dig
DS8711 servo for front steering
MG995 servo for rear steer
Aluminum servo arms for both
Tekin fxr, 45t pro combo
Two sets of 8 cell 1500mah Nihd
Onyx 230 charger
A few sets of deans plugs
HB rovers (white)
A set of venom bolt on wheel weights
A CC 10amp BEC

So far I have about $720 in my shopping cart and I still need the radio, and a few servo’s for the axles. Some of the parts I plan on upgrading as I break them such as the knuckles, etc.

I am torn about the radio, I cannot figure out if I want a stick because its easy to find, or if I should try and find one of the rare 6 channel pistols. Is a stick all the bad? Does this make rear steer more intuitive? If I do go with a stick, what should I get?

What servo’s should I look into for the axle lockouts? And I have read that the dig unit comes with a servo that is acceptable, is this correct?

Lastly, is the anything I am forgetting?

Thanks, devin

Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice parts list so far. I would recommend changing a few things though. I wouldn't buy the venom wheel weights use stick on wheel weights it will save you money for future upgrades. I would also recommend going LIPO it provides more power and weighs less.
firekiddc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

the factory dig from venom does have a servo with it yes. im running a traxxas tq4 4ch for my radio, but im only looking for a winch and maybe selectable lockers. but it does quiet well. if you are going to run stock drive shafts get some 1/2" shrink wrap.
88gmchog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

also shrink wrap the outers on all your axles i don't no if i would go front and rear selectable i have the flm locker in rear very nice with the dig you can turn yourself around. then you can go with a 4ch like tq4 intell you go rear steer. i would try out the dig unit before adding all that stuff. just my thoughts.( WISH I HAD A GRAND TO SPEND ON MY CREEPER FOR CHRISTMAS LUCKY)
oh yeah don't go bolt on wheels i just added 16oz for like six bucks and they fit great.
n0b420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Werty's stage 3 suspension build.

if you get the losi arms its easy to get a lot more suspension and better Cg out of the box. I built my venom for under $400.
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Wow, must be fun to throw around that kind of money on a rig. You could build it for A LOT less if you wanted too..
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty View Post
Werty's stage 3 suspension build.

if you get the losi arms its easy to get a lot more suspension and better Cg out of the box. I built my venom for under $400.
got a link to those losi arms by chance?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

after looking at your list. loose the nicd batteries get their lipos, loose the weights buy some stick on lead. the tekin is a great speed controller but for the price you can get a Holms http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=0&page=1 that will out do the tekin and you can loose the cc bec too, get his esc and mabey a hand wound from holms you will not be unhappy with his products.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gmchog View Post
got a link to those losi arms by chance?
http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA1103

you can use the part # losa1103 on ckrc i have built 2 creepers my first one has over 13000 views it was the first one to be built and modified and ckrc copied my suspension for there stage 2 kit. I love the venoms.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty View Post
http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA1103

you can use the part # losa1103 on ckrc i have built 2 creepers my first one has over 13000 views it was the first one to be built and modified and ckrc copied my suspension for there stage 2 kit. I love the venoms.
your awesome dude, i checked out your rig too been thinkin bout getin those arms too thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

the biggest problem i see with going to lipo's is the fact that i do not want to baby sit them, and i would like something that i can set and forget. there is really a lot more to know about them to get them to run right. but i am considering it none the less.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

well keep the 1 800 # to venom customer service handy, but jason is a good guy and will get you taken care of quick. hop ya enjoy it when you get it.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

well, i got anxious last night and pulled the trigger. but at the last minute i changed my mind and got a losi.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

The Venom wheel weights seem too expensive compared to using other methods.
dirtybirk is offline   Reply With Quote