Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Articulation ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Default Articulation ?

I'm having an issue getting my head wraped around the fact that too much articulation is not good. My brain tells me that with the max amount of articulation will keep the tires on the ground most of the time...is this not good?
Could someone please explain this concept, it's ok you can be technical, I'll get it. I think...
Slick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

To much articulation can make the rig unstable, like when you are side hilling and if you have to much flex it will just let go, compared to if you had limited flex. I know i suck at explaining it, someone can probably clear it up for me. I use to think their was no such thing as to much flex back in 08' when i got started, and now i like just a little flex, its super predictable and stable.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #3

also the weight of your axles with batteries, servos, even your tires can just flip you over the straighter your axle ends up getting. The closer you get to 90* with your axle, the more the weight wants to keep going over. I didn't think of this till a guy at my lhs told me about it. And just like inflames said if your side hilling one tire might want to start lifting off the ground, giving you less traction, making it unstable, and higher center of gravity with a tendency to flip (because the tire, servo, axle, etc. are higher in the air).

I think I explained that right... lol
craigerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Thanks Guys
I guess I'll do some testing and work from there. I think I git it. LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

As mentioned stability and predictabilty are very important in crawling if not the most important. 2 things I wanted to add are I think actual traction and overall capability greatly increase with more limited flex. The max traction occures when your uphill shock is compressed and pushing back on the terrain also when this happens it tranfers more to all of the down hill tires giving them more taction. I also think being able to carry tires across deep holes and large cracks is obviously more beneficial than having your tire fall into those. I can set my rig on a table with 3 tires on the table and one hanging in mid air and it is still very stable with too much flex the weight transfer would cause my junk to just fall off. Take your rig out to your fav. crawl spot setup with max flex. Then pay attention to how much flex you actually use and if you do find a spot that uses 90 degrees of flex I would bet that a roll over or tire bind is soon to follow. JMLAO
toyw/me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyw/me View Post
As mentioned stability and predictabilty are very important in crawling if not the most important. 2 things I wanted to add are I think actual traction and overall capability greatly increase with more limited flex. The max traction occures when your uphill shock is compressed and pushing back on the terrain also when this happens it tranfers more to all of the down hill tires giving them more taction. I also think being able to carry tires across deep holes and large cracks is obviously more beneficial than having your tire fall into those. I can set my rig on a table with 3 tires on the table and one hanging in mid air and it is still very stable with too much flex the weight transfer would cause my junk to just fall off. Take your rig out to your fav. crawl spot setup with max flex. Then pay attention to how much flex you actually use and if you do find a spot that uses 90 degrees of flex I would bet that a roll over or tire bind is soon to follow. JMLAO

Now I get it! Thanks
I hope to do some testing tomorrow. So far the build is bone stock, other that wheel weights. I have 7oz on each front and 5.5 on each rear. I'm sure after tomorrow i'll be looking to limit articulation. I have many mods in mind, all of which I found here but I couldn't wait to get it out and try it.
Thanks again to everyone (Great Site)