Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Any problems with the DIG for the creeper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Any problems with the DIG for the creeper?

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a DIG unit for my creeper and I was just wondering if you guys have encountered any problems with it.
mpjl95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Mine tends to jam if your on the throttle while shifting it, it works good if you shift it while stopped. The odd occasion it seems to stay locked because I have pressure on the gear from digging it doesn't want to shift but a couple shots on the throttle usually gets it to shift. I'm hoping with more use it will start to shift a little better but time will tell.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Do you think it would shift better with a stronger servo?
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm using a hitec hs225mg rated at around 60 or so ounces at 6v, stk venom is rated at maybe 30 oz
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm using a Hitec HS55 and my dig unit woks great

Last edited by Riksss; 02-09-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Riksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksss View Post
I'm using a Hitec HS55 abd my dig unit woks great
Does it ever jam on yeah?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

not if your endpoints are set correctly mine works the best if your in the throttle a little bit like at crawling speed if you try to shift it while at full throttle your bound to break something sooner then later
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I don't have any problems with it. I don't recommend shifting into it on the fly though. Remember your trying to take two gears and mesh them, think of the problems you coulc have if they are not alligned properly. It may take a slight tap of the throttle after shifting the gear to make sure everything is fully engaged.
93firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Not sure what the design is but theres applications where gear meshing occurs on the fly, such as some late model transfer cases. Just saying.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Bray d: its totally unsynchronized. The lever arm that actuates it has a spring on it that is used as a bs meshing device so if the teeth are not aligned something will give and hold pressure till the splines align.

kurtus: you can tighten the nut on the very bottom of this lever to tighten the preload of this little arm thingy (<--venoms technical term) and it may help with your servo engaging the driveline disconnect under load.
"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I figured they wouldn't get that in depth with it. I've had the t-case apart on my 1:1 many times, and the shift of the fly is possible due to the way the actual gears are cut.

Sounds like increasing the preload on that spring may solve the problem. Since its a spring that's actually providing the force to engage the gear, depending on the stiffness of the spring, a higher torque servo wouldn't even be necessary. Unless it was having a hard time disengaging of course.

I'll be reading up on the Vemon Dig threads. I may have to fork over the cash for one with my tax returns.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by "N8" View Post
Bray d: its totally unsynchronized. The lever arm that actuates it has a spring on it that is used as a bs meshing device so if the teeth are not aligned something will give and hold pressure till the splines align.

kurtus: you can tighten the nut on the very bottom of this lever to tighten the preload of this little arm thingy (<--venoms technical term) and it may help with your servo engaging the driveline disconnect under load.
Thanks man, I got curious today so I took it all apart to inspect, clean and regrease it all. I made a few tweeks and it seems to be working better now. It only hangs if I'm trying to do a dig climb and then shift it back into 4wd, it starts to click a bit until the stress it relieved from the drivetrian. It's to be expected givin the the design of it. I'm am still very happy with it though and I'm sure with use I'll either figure out the best way to use it or it will start working smoother.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Yea I have to say I am a little unimpressed with it. I have thought to go so far as to cast my own gears and to sharpen up the mating splines so they will cram together under high load, but its a lot of work, and I had hoped that venom would have done all that. ho hum it just means other guys have an advantage in the comps sometimes dig climbing and such.
"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Yeah it's definiatly not the end of the world for the most part it works decent, you can check out some vids of snwchris and his creeper @ s&n trackside to see it in action on a coarse. He seems to be managing pretty well with his, I think it's just learning the best senario for using it.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #15

I am actually using the diff lock servo with no problems I did away with the top battery tray and used the diff lock servo mounted on the frame. I am sure the servo will fail at some point, but it has been in there for about 5 months.
01Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote