Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Have you broken an inner "C" lately?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Have you broken an inner "C" lately?

I just got my radio back from Hitec for some warrenty repair (very good service and speedy if I must say) and after I get the end points set for my dig unit it was time for its first test run! All started out fine till a strange clicking sounded from it? Maybe it was the dig unit? Test some more! Agian, that funny clicking but all looks fine? Go retreive model and take it back to the work bench and go over it and find out whats making the noise? Broken inner "C"! I got off the phone with a Venom rep and this is what he said about it. Acording to him what happens is the pin in the cv joint loosens up and when it does it catches on the inner "C" and instesd of breaking itself it breaks the "C". His fix was to double up on the grub screws. If you pinch the pin with 2 grub screws they wont walk out and cause the damage, this also works for the factory drive shafts and is what he himself does. Just thought I'd pass the info along since as of this moment nobody seems to have the replacemants in stock! If you haven't had the problem yet then good for you and to prevent any bad luck go get ya some 2.5mm x 2.5mm grub screws and double those axles and driveshafts!
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I haven't broken one, but I've read of a few remedies. As you said, you can use 2 grub screws. I've read of guys filing a little notchin in the pin so the single grub screw has something to physically hold against rather than just friction on the pin. A lot of guys (including myself) put heat shrink on the outside of the CVD. This holds the pin in as well. Some guys even cut a thin strip of alum, wrap that around the CVD, then heat shrink around that.

I was lucky enough to read about all this during my build, so I went ahead and used the heat shrink before my first run.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

With a little filing or sanding of the ends of the axles, you can use axial c-hubs that are cheaper and easier to get. Just put a set on a creeper because nobody seems to have the venom c-hubs in stock. Hope this helps ya.
Mathala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm just going the aluminum route for security and have seen most of the "fixes" for the pins walking out but never thought they would take out the inner knuckle! I didn't have any shrink wrap big enough and was eager to test but going to tear down the whole rig over the weekend to do both the double grub's and shrink wrap so it don't happen again. Just thought I would put out what the Venom rep had told me because I hadn't heard that "fix" from here.

Keep up with the cheap fixes! Maybe next time I'll catch them before major downtime ensues!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I just checked for ya. There is an e-bay add that says 10 available.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB's 05 View Post
I just checked for ya. There is an e-bay add that says 10 available.
On the way from CKRC yesturday but thanks for looking!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #7

Happened to mine as well. I just shrink wraped all my cv's and then put a spot of ca glue to hold them in place.
01Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Took it out to my LHS to run the indoor couse and the double grubs solved the problem great! Ran about 45 mins, HARD, before my first stop for repair. The axles and driveshaft pins stayed put but the rear driveshaft broke clean between the cv and the slip! Allthough a bad break a cheap fix, if I can find the dang things! Since I use the Venom Dig Unit its shorter than the front. I'll probably just cut down the original to make the replacement till they become available. Unless someone knows the compressed and extended length so I can find a suitable steel replacement?

This fix is a solid one and would recomend everyone to do it if you haven't done so all ready!