Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: so i was told....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Default so i was told....

so im at my local hobby shop here in kansas city looking at a motor and speed control for my new venom talking to the kid behind the counter( who couldnt have been any more then 15 or so). Im talking to him about the motors and what I should run and which would be optimum for the creeper, so I ask him if anyone makes a water proof electric motor and he tells me that all brushed electric motors are waterproof.......? huh? now I dont know everything but my full time job is being a repairman for power wheelchairs that have electric motors, and I know they are not water proof. Am i missing something or is he just a young kid running his mouth?
oneblacktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblacktj View Post
so im at my local hobby shop here in kansas city looking at a motor and speed control for my new venom talking to the kid behind the counter( who couldnt have been any more then 15 or so). Im talking to him about the motors and what I should run and which would be optimum for the creeper, so I ask him if anyone makes a water proof electric motor and he tells me that all brushed electric motors are waterproof.......? huh? now I dont know everything but my full time job is being a repairman for power wheelchairs that have electric motors, and I know they are not water proof. Am i missing something or is he just a young kid running his mouth?
You can run a brushed motor in water and it will be fine as long as you do not mind having to re-grease the bearings every time your get it wet. I would also use some motor spray to make sure your get any dirt out as well.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Stating that they are waterproof is totally inaccurate, more like water capable. But then the same could be said of my receivers and ESC I've gotten soaked and dried them out to work again

Bearings will be the problem, you'll need to clean and re-lube, and probably replace occasionally too. The brushes and comm might wear out faster too but their longevity is not a real issue at our speed.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #4

ok well maybe he was on to something. just not completly accurate. i figured it would be catostrophic failure. guess you learn something new everyday.
oneblacktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

When 0ne18th.com was a running website. There was a thread on how to break in you motor by suspending it in a glass of water to run the brushes in. So waterproof is accurate, just not practical.
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
smr
Rock Stacker

I break in my brushes submerging my motor in water every time. Just spray clean and oil bearings when done with water...
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr View Post
I break in my brushes submerging my motor in water every time. Just spray clean and oil bearings when done with water...
+1 50% water and 50% alcohol.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

x2
passinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ask any slash owner, he will tell you they are waterproof..lol j/k

They will do it, but I don't recommend it.

I'm also from KC, sounds like you talked to Brent at Hobby Town.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote