Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Remote locking diff kit questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Remote locking diff kit questions?

I've ordered a creeper kit from RPP & a 3 channel Spektrum & thought I might put that extra channel to use. How well does the remote locking kit work? A previous thread talked about problems with it but it was an old thread. The directions show mounting it front & rear but the kit pictures look like it only does one axle. Do you need 2 kits to unlock both axles? If you can only do one axle with the kit, Are there issues with running the front unlocked & the rear locked? Thanks for any insight.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I agree that it looks like the kit only includes one axle. But there's no reason you can't run open front and locked rear, it's actually pretty common in the real world offroading.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It seems like a waste of money to me. I can't think of a single time of crawling where I wanted 1 wheel to be spinning. Get the dig instead. The only reason 1:1 trucks do it is for on-road driving.
kennyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Turning radius

supposedly, you get much greater turning radius with them unlocked. I run my CR01 locked all the time but at the expense of turning radius. I don't ever unlock them because you can't switch back and forth on the fly.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyj View Post
It seems like a waste of money to me. I can't think of a single time of crawling where I wanted 1 wheel to be spinning. Get the dig instead. The only reason 1:1 trucks do it is for on-road driving.
$20 bucks isn't all that expensive, and if it helps you in some tight spots it may very well be worth it.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The dig unit is better money spent. It will give you better turning radius and be MUCH more useful. Do some searching, you will read nothing but problems.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not entirely true there ... up these parts it's common practice to unlock one hub (unless you have the zoot of a switchable locker ... ARB, Ected ...) as for the exact same reason, it helps in a tight tuirn situation. Your obviously not going to do the big climb with three wheels, but if you need to turn an unlocked front will make a big difference, as it won't push the turn any more.

I guess I'll put an unlocked and locked turning radius test on the plans list, just to prove my point.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not everyone who gets a Creeper or posts here will use it just for serious rock crawling competition. I bought the Creeper because of the selectable lockers and I love them. Better turning radius, better handling at higher speeds, less stress on the axles shafts, and makes smaller obstacles more challenging. Besides, it's a cool gadget

To answer the question I don't believe they've gotten better. You'll need a spring to help push or pull the lever out to lock position. I setup mine so the cable slides through a collar on the arm and put another collar on the cable such that it can only pull the leaver and the springs pull it back, a lot easier to setup and less stress on the servo. I can take a pic if you want.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

pics would be nice but don't go to any trouble. you kind of talked me out of it. The Spektrum has a third channel & the unit isn't real expensive but if it doesn't work real well... I think the turning radius on the creeper is beter than my CR01 out of the box. I just sounded like a cool gadget.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

buy a dig a put that 3rd channel to a good use you guys are talking about turning ability when my dig is on i can spin in donuts around my rear axle which your open front will never do
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Not entirely true there ... up these parts it's common practice to unlock one hub (unless you have the zoot of a switchable locker ... ARB, Ected ...) as for the exact same reason, it helps in a tight tuirn situation. Your obviously not going to do the big climb with three wheels, but if you need to turn an unlocked front will make a big difference, as it won't push the turn any more.

I guess I'll put an unlocked and locked turning radius test on the plans list, just to prove my point.
I understand your point, but dig has much better turning radius, more useful, and doesn't have a bunch of negative feedback like the selectable locker. But to each their own, just trying to save you money in the long run.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I was looking at the PDF manual on Venom's web site. Looks like if you are going to use DIG, you ought to do it during the build. I see your point & don't want to hassle with the diff locks if they are always going to be a hassle. How do the dig units hold up?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I installed my dig after assembly with no problems. Have not heard too many complaints about the dig, other than not wanting to work in a bind, but that is a shafty problem.