Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Is The Venom Good for a Newg?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is The Venom Good for a Newg?

Is it? I really want an XTM. I like the intricacy of it but should I be financially realistic. I'm a former machinist and a great builder...
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailrotorblade View Post
Is it? I really want an XTM. I like the intricacy of it but should I be financially realistic. I'm a former machinist and a great builder...

If you buy the kit from RPP hobby $104.99 is a great deal and needs minor mods as do all kits.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

ultimatehobbies has it on sale for $99 but I think they're out of stock right now.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

you are compairing apples to oranges there .
i keep hearing the very best crawler ever is a mao(motor on axle) type
i have the creeper ,i love it ,its great for the goofing around i do with it!
i dont compete so i dont know how it compairs to others.
i know the xtm one is a moa type crawler this means you will have to have
two motors and a speed control that can run two motors. thats about all
i know about the xtm , the venom is a fun truck ,its cheap for the most part, and with a little mods it can crawl with the best ,of its type!!
rcslsafut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Getting started on a tight budget is difficult most box kits need many updates to be considered competitive unfortunately the best upgrades are the most expensive but it all depends on how serious you want to get. The Venom would not be my first choice despite it's low cost remember you get what you pay for.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

venom is good if u want cheap and not mod it otherwise not a fan of mine wish i would have went scx10 now
bgh1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think the creeper is a great starter rig. It basic and newbi friendly, but has plenty of mod and tuning options for the tinkerer. Aftermarket is coming around and it seems to be quite durable (at least mine so far)
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I agree, its a great starter. If your a machinist like I am, do not buy it. You'll just be disappointed. You spend all day dreaming of the parts you can make if you go in early. Trust me on this. I'm totally addicted and I just got a used Venom off of Ebay. I've made spacers for the shocks and tried (and messed up) to make new shock towers.
After reading around on here, if your on a budget, get an Axial. the truck is almost the same, but infinitely more adjustable and upgradeable. There are way more parts for the Axial. (The Axial parts fit the Venom, with modifications.)
I'm selling my Savage truck to get another crawler. You can crawl almost anywhere. A 60mph Nitro truck can not be driven anywhere. So gettin ginto this side of RC is a stellar idea. I really suggest you do more research than i did and buy what you want the 1st time. Remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap.
If I had it to do over, used Axial off of ebay, new electronics. I can't afford the JunFac Rock Buggy. That with a brushless setup is my dream.
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #9

It depends on what you want to do with it? Comps or bashing? To get into comps with a creeper quite a few little mods are in order (most of which have been discussed here), bashing around its cool, you don't need to mod it heavily to have fun with it. I would say that at the very least get the traxxas drive lines either way. The stock ones just fall apart(at least for me) all the time and it got annoying really fast having to put pins in especially once they wore through the heat shrink over and over.
Plus, everyone has an Axial.
wiznich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, venom, xtm