Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Need Inspiration to See It Thru

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need Inspiration to See It Thru

So I got a Creeper, took me 3 months working on and off on it to get it all together. I just didn't have the desire to work with it like I do with other RCs. After it was all together, I have managed 30 minutes run time. The gear box is a hoax in my opinion. Seems impossible to mesh spur/pinion. Now the thing is sitting here in half waiting on me to decide to try and get the gears/motor to mesh. Or maybe just give up and sell it. I have $325 in it with the electronics. Another thing is I haven't got the diff locks to work. Is my experience 1 in a million?
wheelchair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sounds to me like your having a bad luck experience.

My gear mesh is perfect.. as you work on other rc cars and such how do you setup gear mesh's for those models? I use a piece of paper and pinch it between the gears to set the motor in the perfect spot.

I also enjoy other RCs: 8th scale buggy racing, 10th touring electric. but i drive my crawler hands down 3 times as much or more..
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have gone through many RCs. At this moment I have a 4z2 Slash, 4x4 Slash and a Rustler. The Creeper's gearbox is the worst thus far. I don't see why the motor wasn't instructed to bolt on back in the early steps. All the video's I've seen for the Creeper appear to work for a long time without problems. Then I get a lemon or did I?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
smr
Rock Stacker

if you read the tips and tricks post and other builds everyone recommends just what you said. to install motor as soon as trans is doen being built. I know it doesn thelp you now but I would drop the trans and set the mesh right one time. you will get alot of run time once set properly. goo dluck. dont give up..oh and btw I owuld ditch the locking diffs and switch to lockers for both front and rear. Even if you ge tthe lockers set up right they wont lasst as long as the rest of the truck...
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy View Post
Sounds to me like your having a bad luck experience.

My gear mesh is perfect.. as you work on other rc cars and such how do you setup gear mesh's for those models? I use a piece of paper and pinch it between the gears to set the motor in the perfect spot.

I also enjoy other RCs: 8th scale buggy racing, 10th touring electric. but i drive my crawler hands down 3 times as much or more..
I just got a creeper in a trade a month ago. I just changed out the motor for a fresher one. What a PIA. Bascially have to remove the whole damn gear box out. And BTW how do you use the paper strip tip in the creeper. It is pretty enclosed. I used that tip on many other rc's, just not on moas, because it is just about 100% enclosed when using dust covers.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsy View Post
I just got a creeper in a trade a month ago. I just changed out the motor for a fresher one. What a PIA. Bascially have to remove the whole damn gear box out. And BTW how do you use the paper strip tip in the creeper. It is pretty enclosed. I used that tip on many other rc's, just not on moas, because it is just about 100% enclosed when using dust covers.

haha i knew someone would ask how to do the paper strip method.

its honestly a PITA.. i kept trying and trying to get the paper in there without dropping it.. it finally went in to place and I got the motor tightened down.. I am scared to make any adjustments.. lol

however, i have a RC4WD R2 on its way.. so much easier to deal with.. plus its all metal gears.. cant go wrong for $59.**
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

it was easy for me. I install my motor last.

Put the motor in, and put the screws in, don't tighten it yet, but don't let it too loose.

Shine a flashlight in and see the mesh, once you get a good mesh , tighten one screw, double check and readjust(if needed) the mesh again, then tighten the other screw.

Then do a final tightening of both screws.

You need a proper hex driver and a flash light.

Also, hold the motor hard against the mount, so you don't move the mesh.
samguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy View Post
haha i knew someone would ask how to do the paper strip method.
however, i have a RC4WD R2 on its way.. so much easier to deal with.. plus its all metal gears.. cant go wrong for $59.**
Except that u are trippling the center mass weight of your rig,,,

Heres what I have come up with for workin on the Creeper Tranny,,,,

You need:
1/4" or larger drill bit up to about 3/8" I wouldnt go larger
A drill ot drill press
remove the transmission gears from the tranny, you do not have to remove the tranny from the chassis though

the pics below pretty much explain what I did to my reserve tranny and what I am about to do to my in-use tranny.

I drilled two 1/4" holes in the tranny to see into it at the motor end.

Attached Images

rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

thats a good idea rmdesignworks. i was thinking of doing some what the same but was going to put a hole in the case the size of my finger but never got around to doing it....i decided to run a axial trans....and thats been working out great for me...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

with the motor mesh drop the rear springs out of the way including the battery tray if using one take the rear drive shaft off from the gear box then open the gear box from the rear (make sure that the gears are still in place in the box) put the motor in and get the screws in but do not tighten then hold the motor to fit the gears(not too tight or lose enough to freely move side to side). spin the the front tires so that the gears move you will see that the motor will position it self so that it is not to tight or lose on the gears as soon as you can see that it is right tighten the screws and put every thing back together. trial and error for me and that seems to work the best. GOOD LUCK! the creeper has been awsome for me with the new xvds,flm lockers and the dig.

Last edited by jojo303d; 06-01-2010 at 11:58 PM.
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Today I got into the tranny. Took out all the gears and discovered the spur was nearly bare on one side. I also made note that I had mounted the pinion wrong. The spur was eaten at an angle = to the pinion. I will have to order some new spurs from TH before trying again. At least now I know the errors of my ways. I got into the tranny basically the way jojo303d said. I guess it's like any other RC, there's always something to go wrong. I just wished I had more minutes, even hours into running it.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I just made a allen that was about 6 in long and adjusted it that way
i have had many r/c's so adjusting the backlash is a feel thing to me anyway. the hardest part is getting the screws started i think!
and , I totally agree with you that they should have in the instructions
to put the motor in way before the rest of the truck is built .
i love my creeper ! it only took me a day or so to put it together!
but thats just me . i live in utah so i have ALL kinds of rocks to climb
here and many other obsticles. there are four canyons within 15 -25 miles
of here (wasatch front ) that have KILLER places to play!!!!!!!!!
rcslsafut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #13

Put a dab of grease in the head of the screw, this will help keep it on the allen driver.
CrawlingCripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingCripple View Post
Put a dab of grease in the head of the screw, this will help keep it on the allen driver.
That's how I built mine. For future ref.. mount the motor before closing up the tranny then you can just losen the screws to set the mesh
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote